Zone System - Contemporary Usage

Nope. Sorry. I knew about over-exposing to make white things bright wayyyyyyy before I learned how to use the Zone System. I knew about under-exposing to make black cats and coal lumps black, over a decade before I ever read The System Manual.

Awesome!! I learned that those bars and numbers in the camera's view finder can be used with zones in the Zone System also, with about Zone 5 right in the middle! It CHANGED my life! :eek: No I'm not even joking.

Oh! Then please continue to answer Alan Klein's question and explain. Looking forward to hearing what you do with color film processing.

Joe

Color film process and Zone System? You crazy! You need to stop assuming!! :D

Oh! Then please continue to answer Alan Klein's question and explain. Looking forward to hearing what you do with color film processing.

Joe

Color film process and Zone System? You crazy! You need to stop assuming!! :D

You said you use The Zone System with color film and you just suggested that you use The Zone System for more than just exposure.

Joe

You said you use The Zone System with color film and you just suggested that you use The Zone System for more than just exposure.

Joe

Dang homie let me simplify it for you again and you can go back to verify LOL I use the Zone System to meter in both digital and negative films (we're still debating if it's proper for me to say I use the Zone System since I'm only using the zones in the system :D ). I never said I ONLY use it for metering. I also never said I use it beyond metering for color negative films. What if I use it beyond metering but just not for color negative films???? :eek:

Joe

Dang homie let me simplify it for you again and you can go back to verify LOL I use the Zone System to meter in both digital and negative films (we're still debating if it's proper for me to say I use the Zone System since I'm only using the zones in the system :D ). I never said I ONLY use it for metering. I also never said I use it beyond metering for color negative films. What if I use it beyond metering but just not for color negative films???? :eek:

Then I'm waiting for your explanation of how you use it beyond metering but not for color negative film.

Joe

Then I'm waiting for your explanation of how you use it beyond metering but not for color negative film.

Joe

I don't owe anyone, or need to explain to anyone, anything beyond what I want to explain. People just need to know that I take pretty pictures. :D

Last edited:

Joe

I don't owe anyone, or need to explain to anyone, anything beyond what I want to explain.

OK. In court that's called paying the fine as long as you don't have to admit to anything -- wink, wink we all understand.

People just need to know that I take pretty pictures. :D

Yes, you do.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. In court that's called paying the fine as long as you don't have to admit to anything -- wink, wink we all understand.

Nah, it's more or less withholding information. Some people prefer not to share when they have it figured out? Not to say that I have it figured out. LOL :D It has been fun, but I got to go back to editing. :eek:

Nah, it's more or less withholding information.

Oh OK, wink, wink, I understand.

Joe

Some people prefer not to share when they have it figured out? Not to say that I have it figured out. LOL :D It has been fun, but I got to go back to editing. :eek:

Yeah, I've seen them all over the years. Look hard enough and you should be able to find a book or video on how to use The Zone System to improve your sex life. It did spawn something of a cult after all.

Love the Martin Bailey one: About 1/2 way through he admits he doesn't use The Zone System for his digital exposures. "If, like me, you use a technique called ETTR or Expose To The Right, this means that you set your exposure so that your highlights are almost or even just touching the right side of the histogram, and then let the mid-tones and shadows fall where they will."

Joe

Here's another topic to debate about. I expose slightly to the left with digital, and to the right with film. :eek: OMG!!!

Here's another topic to debate about. I expose slightly to the left with digital, and to the right with film. :eek: OMG!!!

Couldn't care less, as long as you don't claim you're following The Zone System or something else that would be presenting faulty info.

Joe

Couldn't care less, as long as you don't claim you're following The Zone System or something else that would be presenting faulty info.

Joe

I use the Zone System for quick precise exposure and couldn't careless about the opinions of self proclaim online experts . :D

Joe

I use the Zone System for quick precise exposure and couldn't careless about the opinions of self proclaim online experts . :D

I know you just can't explain it; where's that section in The Zone System about exposing digital to the left?

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back