Zoning in on a concept..

Lsatblu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I am going to be a senior this year in graphic design. I need to start working on my senior project and zone in on an idea to go with. The majority of my project needs to reflect my design skills and everything I have learned. I will show plenty of examples of typography and use of the grid throughout my project. I do however want to include photography to support the type.

Right now I am an intern at a magazine in NYC. I am around photo shoots and I have plenty of time to browse through magazines owned by the company and I have fallen in love with it. For my senior project I want to run with the idea of either a fashion magazine or book that would have pictures of models and type that relates to the image.

I am having problems coming up with a concept though. Having pretty pictures with interesting type experiments is not enough. There has to be something that connects them all which will be the main theme throughout the book or magazine.

I have plenty of friends who will jump in front of the camera for me but I can not just take pictures without a concept behind them. I was thinking something like a book that represents New York that is stylized with high fashion. I don't want to take pictures of ordinary things, so I see myself shooting my friends all dressed up in a party scene, lake scene, shopping scene, etc..I am not sure if this is a strong enough idea though.

I am open to any suggestions anyone has. I would love to hear any ideas you all have that could connect my editorial images to typography.

Thanks. [SIZE=-3]:heart:
[/SIZE]

This is going to sound silly... but start watching Sesame Street. They do really cool stuff with letters in the Park, or on the street... people moving around letters. Set your TiVo.

Type fonts have their own unique character and history.
You should shot your subjects in a scene that reflects / mimics / accentuates the font type.

Type fonts have their own unique character and history.
You should shot your subjects in a scene that reflects / mimics / accentuates the font type.

That is a really good idea, thank you. :)

"A Taste of New York", not a new idea but easy and it works. Combine eateries with fashion, people in front, in side, in the kitchen, in the alley, et al, of famous resturants to hot dog stands in all parts of the city.

Gary

Try paring down an entire image to just one word.
Dark
Bright
Heavy
Light
Introvert
Extrovert
Inside
Outside
Tall
Short
Rough
Smooth
Tough
Meek
Etc...

Many of these, as well as MANY other words (try adjectives) have a double meaning, play with that idea as well.

Put together a "Fan Magazine" featuring models.

Do 4 or 5 shoots showing their preferred style -using different typeography on each articale.

This will give you a chance to knock yourself out with the photography, do a little writing and show a wide range of your skills as a graphic artist.

I would even go so far as to work up adds and cameos of coming features.

If you turn this into a full time gig (it could fly considering the kids out there that want to model)- say a kind word in my direction occasionally. :)

Mike

Thank you for all the input guys but I am still having problems deciding. I don't really want to go with the image matching a typeface anymore because I would then have to write about the history of the typeface and there are already plenty if not hundreds of type books out there.

I agree the idea of New York has been done before, so I am just not sure where to go now. I really like the idea of a magazine with fashion and typography but most magazines have stories and products being sold which I don't have. I can write my own articles and have friends contribute but I am not sure what theme to go with.. :/

Try paring down an entire image to just one word.
Dark
Bright
Heavy
Light
Introvert
Extrovert
Inside
Outside
Tall
Short
Rough
Smooth
Tough
Meek
Etc...

Many of these, as well as MANY other words (try adjectives) have a double meaning, play with that idea as well.

I can see something similar to these terms being put inside a book as opposed to a magazine but what copy would go with each image and text? I would think there has to be something to read..hmm

I think I would like to do some Lady Gaga inspired shots with crazy fashion and controversy. But I just can't think of a way to tie any photos I take together and a way to mix them with typography and some kind of text for the magazine..hmm

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back