Zoo Animals

shelby16

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm posting in this section a lot. :p

Anyway, I'm new to wildlife photography, and I've heard of people going to the zoo to get some good shots of the wild animals. Others think this is "cheating" but oh well.

I guess my question is, are there any tips from those who have? Did you get good shots?

Let me know!
Shelby

The Zoo is a nice easy place to get some good shots ... and also to practice.
We go there frequently, and have grabbed some nice shots and a few great shots.

My suggestion ... look at background/foreground before subject.
A great zoo shot does not look like it was shot at the zoo ... so always look at background/foreground and position yourself for the best shot.

Bring a monopod.

The Zoo is a nice easy place to get some good shots ... and also to practice.
We go there frequently, and have grabbed some nice shots and a few great shots.

My suggestion ... look at background/foreground before subject.
A great zoo shot does not look like it was shot at the zoo ... so always look at background/foreground and position yourself for the best shot.

Bring a monopod.
This was a perfect reply!! Thank you so much!
I will do this. I really want some shots that look like I was really in the wild.

I'm posting in this section a lot. :p

Anyway, I'm new to wildlife photography, and I've heard of people going to the zoo to get some good shots of the wild animals. Others think this is "cheating" but oh well.

I guess my question is, are there any tips from those who have? Did you get good shots?

Let me know!
Shelby

You mean, as opposed to the wild animals that happen to be out wandering the streets?

You mean, as opposed to the wild animals that happen to be out wandering the streets?

No, as opposed to people going to exotic locations and getting face to face with them.

I will post an example ... BlackSheep took this film shot of a Timber Wolf at the Toronto Zoo ... shot though a chain link fence.

Scan of slide ... I did not do any PP.

Wolf.jpg

Last edited:
I will post an example ... BlackSheep took this film shot of a Timber Wolf at the Toronto Zoo.

Oh wow! This photo is exquisite!! I hope to get a shot like this, I would never have known you were at the zoo.

I will post an example ... BlackSheep took this film shot of a Timber Wolf at the Toronto Zoo.

Oh wow! This photo is exquisite!! I hope to get a shot like this, I would never have known you were at the zoo.

When you do not see concrete, metal, or fences (etc) ... it will make the difference from a "zoo" shot and a wildlife shot take at the zoo.

Though most of the time at the zoo you cannot avoid it.

Last edited:
When you do not see concrete, metal, or fences (etc) ... it will make the difference from a "zoo" shot and a wildlife shot take at the zoo.

Though most of the time at the zoo you cannot avoid it.

So you must have had a lot of room to find the right angle? I hope I go on a day that's not too busy. No weekends for me!

Going to the zoo is NOT cheating, come on. . . not everyone is going on a photo safari just to get a shot of an elephant or tiger, at least not many people I know.

For glass, I would bring a good walk around, like a 28-300. a prime, like a 35mm 2.8 or 50mm 1.8/1.4 for the low light rooms where they typically keep invertebrates. I lugged around a 135-400 a few times and honestly, at least at the National Zoo in DC, didn't need it. I guess your mileage may very depending on what zoo you are going to, but for the most part, a lot of zoos aren't sprawling savannas.

Be sure to check ahead on the zoos website for any features they may be having or feeding times, sometimes they are posted, sometimes they are not. . . not to mention, going to a place like the National Zoo, that is all hills, just to see the Pandas and you get there, and they are "in for the day" due to whatever reason, can be a bummer.

Some zoos don't allow tripods to be set up. A monopod is a quick work around.

Avoid peak times and weekends(like you mentioned above). Mondays have always seemed to be a good day for me, I have had pretty good luck in the past. If kids are still in school, it really lightens the load.

Here are a few zoo shots I have gotten:

These were taken with a 28-300 3.5

2306442542_e33ca44c9d_b.jpg

2306439444_d29e3f6333_b.jpg

2826626612_6cd02a9104_b.jpg

2825931725_6920d0f220_b.jpg

2825797405_7de804d573_b.jpg

And with a 50mm 1.8 for low light

3584277015_0a60c6b24b_b.jpg

3584276685_c538b8eff1_b.jpg

Thanks for the compliment :) That scan of that photo isn't the best, btw, it's a slide film shot from about 20 years ago.The original looks alot better exposure-wise.

Dennis (dxqcanada; he's my husband btw) just mentioned your thread to me so I thought I'd take a look.

I had zero room to move around on that shot, I just stuck my lens up against the fence and waited for the wolf to move into a good position for me to get. Shooting at a zoo is very worthwhile, you just have to camp out in a good spot and wait for them to walk into the right spot.

A zoo shot that I took.

I looked around the pen and positioned myself for a shot ... and waited.

ArcticFox.jpg

Wow!! Thank you all so much for your tips and replies! I will have to look at my local zoos website and check on feeding times, ect.

Everyone's photos are beautiful!! Very jealous. :)

For glass, I would bring a good walk around, like a 28-300. a prime, like a 35mm 2.8 or 50mm 1.8/1.4 for the low light rooms where they typically keep invertebrates. I lugged around a 135-400 a few times and honestly, at least at the National Zoo in DC, didn't need it. I guess your mileage may very depending on what zoo you are going to, but for the most part, a lot of zoos aren't sprawling savannas.

I don't quite agree. Maybe it was just the zoo I visited, but for the giraffe's in particular, my 300mm wasn't nearly long enough. I wouldn't head back there, hoping to get a photo of the giraffes without something bigger. But on the other hand, I have been to another zoo where the giraffes were only metres away. So it will always depend on where you go.

A zoo shot that I took.

ArcticFox.jpg

I LOVE this photo. Nice shot. :)

I don't quite agree. Maybe it was just the zoo I visited, but for the giraffe's in particular, my 300mm wasn't nearly long enough. I wouldn't head back there, hoping to get a photo of the giraffes without something bigger. But on the other hand, I have been to another zoo where the giraffes were only metres away. So it will always depend on where you go.

A zoo shot that I took.

ArcticFox.jpg

I LOVE this photo. Nice shot. :)
Agreed! Great photo. :)

Most reactions

Back