Zoo Photos! c&c..?

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We had some amazing weather here in Ohio and I had to get out with the munchkin to enjoy it. I took 300 photos today... most of them suck. Here are the "best" lol. I would have taken more time to 'compose' some of them but my daughter was tugging at my pantleg the whole time... lol.

#1 - lemur
lemur1.jpg

#2 - 'snow' leopard... even though it's not really THAT white...
snowleopard2.jpg

#3 - eagle
eagle1.jpg

#4 - little jellyfish
jelly3-1.jpg

#5 - big jellyfish - looks like a skull on his 'body'
jellyfish1.jpg

#6 - drooling dragon
dragon1.jpg

I tend not to comment on "zoo" photos but i really like the eagle.

I tend not to comment on "zoo" photos but i really like the eagle.

Is going to the zoo cheating? Oh well..

Thanks though. Eagles are so beautiful.. unless you screw up the focus or exposure it's kinda hard to make it look bad.

EDIT: I should add that all of these, except the eagle, were shot through glass.. which sucked. But I tried anyway.

My fav is the lemur though... go figure.

Last edited:
I like them all but the jellyfish just seems a bit copy pasted but I have seen plenty of pics like that. Yeah tell the zookeeper their snow leopard needs a bath:lol:

and tell them to clean the class of the jelly tank while theyre at it. lol

All of the crap going on there is stuff floating inside the tank. As I was leaving (and they were getting ready to close) they actually started using what looked like one of those swiffer mops to clean the inside of the glass of that tank.

I'll get on them about their cleanliness though... :lol:

That zoo (Akron, OH) has the prettiest garden and tons of unique plant life. I'll go back in May when everything's in bloom and you'll get to see more of my 'snapshots.'

EDIT: FLAMINGO

flamingo.jpg

Last edited:
I know what you mean, it's hard to compose and nail every shot when your kids are with you. I once took a day off to go to the zoo by myself, that was profitable.

Nice shots. I saw you used auto WB, it seemed to do pretty good. There were a couple I would personally warm up a bit to see if it adds anything (leopard/eagle).

I saw you used auto WB, it seemed to do pretty good. There were a couple I would personally warm up a bit to see if it adds anything (leopard/eagle).

Auto white balance yeah, but then tweaked in Photoshop. What you're seeing here isn't exactly what came out of the camera, unfortunately.

Thanks for the comments, as well as everyone else's.

I took advice from Derrel, he was giving someone pointers in their thread, and picked up a rubber lens hood for my 50mm. That helped a lot with the shots on the lemur (and the snow leopard). There was lots of glare on the glass in that room and I was able to completely eliminate it from the picture by physically pressing the lens hood up to the glass. Really cool.. you could even use the flash against the glass with one.

So, thanks Derrel!

I think a lot of stock photo, publishers frown upon zoo shots,but not all of us can afford an African Safari. I think the pics look awesome. Other than the Lemur looking just a tad soft ( I am on my laptop though and could be a little off ), they are all great. With that said, I think the Lemur actually is my favorite of them all. I like the composition and its one of my favorite zoo animals. I also like the big jellyfish because of the vivid colors.

Zoo is a fun and exciting place to visit while in Memphis, especially with kids. there are many things to do and throughout the zoo as well such as watch the animal shows, participate in keeper chats and visit the Discovery Center and enjoy the rides.You can find large catalog of animals poster, prints, photography and painting at WCFineArtStore with reasonable price.

alaska-zoo.jpg

mt-la-zoo-oct03_lg.jpg

memphis-zoo.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back