Zoom & Twist - Down the Drain Effect

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Still searching for that perfect abstract to hang on the wall. This isn't it, but thought I'd share the technique. Simply put, set your zoom lens at its widest FL and with a slower shutter speed zoom in towards your narrower FL and twist the camera CCW at the same time. These were shot at f/22, 1/13s.

1073566058_G62RV-XL.jpg

1073565803_LJkJj-XL.jpg

I used my tie-dyed blanket as the background.​

1073565979_mVtjL-XL.jpg

I actually turned the setup around and had the blanket backlit for the shots.​

Give it a try if you're bored and can't find 'anything' to shoot.​

Thanks oDDball for your comment.

Another shot...........

1075316835_fGtMT-XL.jpg

Feel free to add your own.

So you say that zooming in PLUS turning the camera did the trick? Well, this is certainly something I'm going to try. Only don't I have such a nice and colourful background... Well. We'll see. But I feel inspired.

I saw Bryan Petersen (the one and only) do this in a video.. on some graffiti too. Was pretty cool. I like the tie dye.

he did state in hiss post, 1/13th.

I think I'll try this effect, but one I've seen is having an in focus main subject lit with a flash (even the pop-up flash) but have been unable to reproduce the effect, any ideas?

with zooming techniques, either this one or others a tripod is a must.

you need enough time to run the focal lengths, and of course the lighting conditions.

this technique along with night photography of city scapes and create some interesting effects.

I've been working on a similar technique but with live action. I'm still a ways from getting it right, but I keep trying it with differnt lighting, shutter speeds and flash combinations.

This is as close as I've gotten to getting somethign I like, but I do feel like I'm onto something.

fec4a37c.jpg

ITS A FULL ON DOUBLE RAINBOW.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back