Zoomers and Shakers - do I dare post this?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently, I have added a photo to a gallery, and one of my top 5 forum members (LaPhoto) recommended that it would be a great photo for the "Zoomers and Shakers" gallery.

I know she was not insulting me. However, since I loathe (hate) the idea of zoomers and shakers, I could easily take it personal. (no offense, LaPhoto...I really like all your comments, and this post isn't necessarily about this one, I'm just using it for my story)

What's the point of zoomers and shakers? I mean, is it taking a terrible photo, and applying a Zoom Blur effect in photoshop to make it 'cool' and 'unique'? Is it that when you miserably fail at taking decent pictures of decent things, your last resort is purposefully taking crappy photos? Do you have to be on drugs to enjoy this?

To me this is not photography, but maybe rather a skewed artistic expression of rather strange artists. Which art, itself, mainly revolves around expression, right? So this isn't necessarily bad...just not my cup of joe. Not even my cup of ginger ale, and I hate ginger ale.

To clear my name from being banned by the zoomers and shakers of this forum, I would like to leave some final comments. I really don't think zoomers and shakers are 'strange artists' but I am rather just using this for expression sake, to get across a point possibly more harshly than it is intended. Also, this isn't meant to offend anyone, but rather to stir up some controversy, so that I may be able to see everyone's thoughts on the matter. LaPhoto: I really do like all your comments you give about photos I post, or questions I have. Everything seems very valid and if I had a "top 5 tpf members" you'd be in it.

What are everyone's thoughts?

PS: I love you guys :D

Firstly, may make a correction for you. It's LaFoto.

The zoomers and shakers is a bit of tounge in cheek IMO, iced with serendipity.

ser·en·dip·i·ty
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˌsɛr
thinsp.png
ənˈdɪp
thinsp.png
ɪ
thinsp.png
ti/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ser-uh
thinsp.png
n-dip-i-tee]
Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1.an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident. 2.good fortune; luck: the serendipity of getting the first job she applied for.

Sometimes it's just a laugh, sometimes the result is quite unigue. I don't know of the photo you are referring to, but just relax. No harm was meant, especially coming from LaFoto.

If you get a comment such as that, then revisit your posted photo. Was it out of focus, bouncy or something not right about it? Don't get your nickers in a twist. Find out for yourself what is in that photo to get such a response, especially coming from LaFoto.

I must not have made it clear, I didn't take it as an insult from LaFoto. I know she would never say anything mean...in fact, I respect her that she doesn't critize people. The picture, I liked it, but once I realized it was considered a zoomer/shaker I went "ugh" like oh no, really? It would be considered a zoomer/shaker, and because of this I am no longer sure if I like it or not :).

Anyway thanks for the input about the serendipity thing...that makes sense.

Ahh... just the reaction I was hoping on getting :) Just wanted to get a quick response, that's all :)

But definitely, no offense to people. Especially LaFoto...apparently I didn't make it clear enough that I like her (Twice I said that she is on my top5 faves list) I actually took the time to make my original message a bit more harsh just so that it might get some fun responses. ahh, success!

Do you mind reposting the photo hear or linking to the original thread in question?

I've tried a few zoomers and laughed at the results. I can see the potential given the right subject matter. I've had more than my share of shakers and cried because that was a one-off chance and I blew it.

Oh come come, when don eiwth flash zoomies are actually quite fun! Yes, let's see your image. I can share some of mine and you can bash them to pieces if you wish :D

This is the original post by Keith204 in which I suggested he make his attempt at creating an abstract photo by screwing a tripod with camera onto the side of his car and then going out doing a long exposure eternal by also putting it into the Zoomers and Shakers-theme thread in the Photo Themes.

And this is the entire thread in the Photo Themes.
It was started with a few - also made abstract - photos of JonK, and he was really good at pulling in his lens during long exposures so he'd create a zoom-effect (in-camera, mind you) and thus make his photos more abstract.

All in all, this way of self-expression should not be rated too highly (well, at least not so in my case) - I take all these "techniques" as means of "enjoyable play" with my camera, including the shakers.

I understand the "shakers" not as photos that went blurred through camera shake by accident, but as those that the photographer blurred quite deliberately, and - as you can see in some of my newest examples - according to a pattern. So there is some more in the "zoomers" and also the "shakers" than just "a bad photo brushed up in PS to somehow look kinda good again". More so since, in my understanding, both things are created in camera and are part of the process of taking that photo. And the process is meant to render the photo much more abstract than it would normally be.

Which is me "defending" a technique that I personally only ever add in a playful manner, but some might make it their style in the end and create some very impressive (abstract) photography with them.

And no worries, Keith, you may always post your questions here, and I am usually the very last person to feel offended.
If you are interested: by bumping the Zoomers and Shakers Theme thread for you, I got interested in creating some new ones - you might want to look at them, too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back