A couple's shoot

misol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a couple recently and while I am happy with the pics, I am not thrilled. I am not sure what it is really and would love C&C, a fresh perspective. The couple wasn't really into cutsie things (its not my style anyways), so my goal was just to capture pictured of them enjoying being around each other...ya know?

The clients are thrilled (very very happy indeed) with the outcome.

IMG_7120.jpg

IMG_71482.jpg

IMG_7142.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7027.jpg

As long as they are happy with them.. that's what matters the most. I think it's a great set, although the WB looks a little off in #2.

^I agree. Run your white balance reference again after you process colour management. You can also colour sample skin tones to make them consistent.

What I do - I have a grey or white piece of paper which I set next to their arm and take a shot of it before every session for reference.

You know the good parts of your shots, so I will concentrate on things I think could be improved on. :)

You have to learn to pay a lot of attention to your background (tree, fence, brush growths, walls). Most of the time, even if it is blurred, it is interfering or distracting in your shots.

Your white balance seems a touch off (is your monitor calibrated?) and and the shots seem about a 1/2 stop underexposed.

The woman has an aggressive laugh/smile that is not very flattering to her, I would avoid the full open mouth laughs in her case.

IMHO, even when outside, one should use off camera flash or at the very least a gold/silver reflector, it makes such a positive difference.

Three of the five pictures will work poorly if placed in frames or are cropped cutting into body parts (hips, arms, elbows), too closely.

Just things to think about in the future. :)

Thanks so much. For sure there are color issues. I was trying a new more contemporary type of editing. Just pushing it out of my comfort zone a bit. I think thats what bugs me so much about it. The colors are all over the place. Humph! See if I get creative again ;) I think the WB is related to me trying to make the pics very warm and bright, maybe too much

Lighting was so tricky. Sunset with thick clouds coming and going! It was fun. I neglected to bring my reflector stand! I think thats really something that is bugging me too. I did try fill flash on some but mixed with the lighting, I was just not getting the shots I wanted.

Thanks for all the feed back Jerry. You got me thinking about framing. I hadent really spent much time thinking about how it will look framed...totally food for thought there.

I agree about the smile. I got some other looks, but yeah, alot of huge big smiles.

Well. Like you said, lighting is so tricky.

You had a lot going for you... time of day and overcast. But, it's what you do with that light that matters.

Let's look at the last two images. I think you can see it there. You've placed them in lighting that is falling directly down on them. See the shadows under the brow, chin... the nose? This is not a particularly flattering lighting scheme for portraits.

The goal is to find a "hole in the sky" that affords the same sort of light you'd create in the studio using a soft box or umbrella. Soft, directional light that is high and off to one side.

When scouting for this lighting, you too have to look for a background that is deep enough and lit so as not to be overexposed.

Then there's posing. But with better lighting, I could settle for the posing.

You seem to have a good rapport with your subjects. They look at ease.

-Pete

Thanks so much. For sure there are color issues. I was trying a new more contemporary type of editing. Just pushing it out of my comfort zone a bit. I think thats what bugs me so much about it. The colors are all over the place. Humph! See if I get creative again ;) I think the WB is related to me trying to make the pics very warm and bright, maybe too much

Lighting was so tricky. Sunset with thick clouds coming and going! It was fun. I neglected to bring my reflector stand! I think thats really something that is bugging me too. I did try fill flash on some but mixed with the lighting, I was just not getting the shots I wanted.

Thanks for all the feed back Jerry. You got me thinking about framing. I hadent really spent much time thinking about how it will look framed...totally food for thought there.

I agree about the smile. I got some other looks, but yeah, alot of huge big smiles.

I actually like how you processed these. If you were going for a warmer look being that it was at the end of the day I think it looks great. What I find very challenging in my own work is maintaining the correct colour tones throughout a series. I think it's something I try to be very critical about. Personally I'm not a fan of a series with various types of edits(unelss it has a fashion objective). Beautiful work to me is consistency, it tells a more fluid story. :D

I'd like to agree with previous replies, you've achieved a good rapor with you clients. They look natural and at ease with you. Great job!

One thing which may help to pay more attention to in future, is advising clients better on clothing choice. The lady's sweater colour is complementary with the scenery, but shape wise is ugly and unflattering to the camera. The neck line is bulky and too high, which shortens her neck.

For ladies of a certain age, (yes I'm becoming one of them!) try and persuade them to cover the tops of their arms. My eyes are drawn to that area so it may help to cover to the elbow. This will bring emphasis and impact back to their faces and great expressions.

Hope this hepls!
K

Most reactions

New Topics

Back