Actually Using The Hasselblad 500C/M

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Dave Colangelo, Jul 3, 2016.

1. minicoop1985

minicoop1985 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just bought a Hasselblad H3D-39 for $3200 (including cost of the lens). It was a $30,000 camera when it was new. It's amazing how these things depreciate. Definitely not investment material.

2. Dave Colangelo

Dave Colangelo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The digital ones are always a toss up, I have looked at some of the digital back for my 500CM but the truth is the affordable ones are only slightly higher resolution than the best things out on the DSLR market . I shoot the 500 C/M to get back into shooting film and have some fun the old fashion way!

3. minicoop1985

minicoop1985 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    There's a couple options out there for MF digital backs. Phase One P series is worth a look. Sure, it's not much more resolution wise than a current DSLR, but the image quality blows modern DSLRs away. I had a 22 mp Leaf Aptus that had 22 megapickles, and the image quality out of even the cheapo Mamiya glass was unbelievable.

4. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I had a 500 C back in the day when I was shooting a lot of weddings. I ended up adding an eye level prism finder to mine. I eventually sold it and bought a Mamiya 645 which I liked a lot better, especially the price of the lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The holidays kept me busy and away from shooting a lot for a bit. I put a few rolls through my new Rollei 35 (German made) which has been a lot of fun. But I have this coming weekend blocked out for a trip to southern VT and Im getting everything ready. I recently snagged a 50mm and a red filter for it which should be fun.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Regards
    Dave

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I trip was a blast but I must admit I was feeling a bit uninspired and my work shows it. You can see the album here. I went a bit nuts with the red filter on the 50mm but it was a good exercise in exposure calculations. I made it a point to notate what I was doing for comparison later which helped in my post analysis. One of my favorite shots from the weekend,

31677934383_d22a3aa3c8_k.jpg
    The lighting was over-cast which was a bit disappointing as I was really hoping to get that big cloud look with the red filter but the summer may be better for that. I was also hoping for some great snow covered landscapes however the warm weather put a hamper on that. I may head back up after a big snowfall and try again.

Until Next Time...
    Regards
    Dave

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The strange but very cold weather in the northeast as of late has kept me inside. However we had a really a really warm weekend a few weeks ago so I was able to get out and get a roll thorough. I have been feeling a bit uninspired lately but nice weather is around the corner which means ill be out and about more. This roll was a lot of work with the 50mm and a red filter on a few of the shots which has been interesting to shoot with. Frankly the 50mm is very wide and I need to work more at really getting to know how to use it correctly. My favorite shot from the roll was most likely this one,

32780724014_1cb8701196_z.jpg

Regards
    Dave

• Like Like x 2
  8. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Back in my film development days, I had some negatives that looked like that, it was from poor agitation. You have to agitate for 5 sec every 30 sec to get uniform development.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice shot of the trees......... 'Ceptin for the bipedal humanoids in the background.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A new job has been consuming pretty much all my time but I did manage to get out and do a bit more shooting this summer. I was messing with some other cameras but the blad was always near by. Not nearly as much as summer's past but some nice shots none the less. I have a roll in it now form a recent event that has a few exposures left then ill get it up.

There is, however a new 500mm adventure brewing....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I finally developed a roll from a few weeks back that I shot on the 500CM and I am quite pleased all in all. The 12 images are the last 12 in this album but the best one over all was this one,

Image 11.jpg

The most important development as of late has been my home processing. This helped extract the next level of quality from the camera I simply was not getting from the lab. While the lab did great work I am able to simply try more things at home and get far more consistent results. Scanning at home has been both a huge benefit and a bit of a curse. My local lab did a great job keeping everything dust free and doing it quickly. At home I wrestle with dust all the time but have the luxury of scanning at a way higher quality then what my lab delivers.

Dave

12. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Nice album. I like developing but scanning is a pain for me. What scanner did you end up getting?