All my digital gear is on Craigslist . . .

elemental

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I never thought it would happen, or at least not this suddenly. With a little extra money in my pocket and a little more coming along in a few months (being a student with almost no income leads to awesome tax returns), I was ready to take the plunge into investing in some serious glass. I looked at Pentax primes both old and new (and I still think Pentax has some of the best glass ever made, especially when it comes to value per dollar), and I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm just too afraid.

Pentax had a great thing going with the 645D. A medium format digital body with great lens support (great 645 lenses are abundant, and the mount was to be the same). It likely would have crushed something like a D3X as a studio camera, and would have cost less. They developed it. They built it. They showed it. They disappeared it. Rumors swirled around a full frame professional body (K2D/K3D). It never saw the light of day, if it ever existed. Pentax is one of the greatest that ever was, a legend in the camera business. However, when it comes time to really invest in equipment for a system, I want to know for sure that the professional bodies will be there when I need them. I just don't see the commitment to the top end of the range.

I really don't regret buying Pentax. I think the K100D was the best entry-level camera on the market. I think the K200D is the best entry-level camera on the market. I learned everything I know on Pentax, and it's what got me interested in film (by accident, of course). It's just time to move on.

Having decided this (and with a very minimal investment in the system), I am jumping ship. Based on my previous ranting and raving about which brands I hate and which I merely dislike, can anyone guess where I'm going?

I never thought it would happen, or at least not this suddenly. With a little extra money in my pocket and a little more coming along in a few months (being a student with almost no income leads to awesome tax returns), I was ready to take the plunge into investing in some serious glass. I looked at Pentax primes both old and new (and I still think Pentax has some of the best glass ever made, especially when it comes to value per dollar), and I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm just too afraid.

Pentax had a great thing going with the 645D. A medium format digital body with great lens support (great 645 lenses are abundant, and the mount was to be the same). It likely would have crushed something like a D3X as a studio camera, and would have cost less. They developed it. They built it. They showed it. They disappeared it. Rumors swirled around a full frame professional body (K2D/K3D). It never saw the light of day, if it ever existed. Pentax is one of the greatest that ever was, a legend in the camera business. However, when it comes time to really invest in equipment for a system, I want to know for sure that the professional bodies will be there when I need them. I just don't see the commitment to the top end of the range.

I really don't regret buying Pentax. I think the K100D was the best entry-level camera on the market. I think the K200D is the best entry-level camera on the market. I learned everything I know on Pentax, and it's what got me interested in film (by accident, of course). It's just time to move on.

Having decided this (and with a very minimal investment in the system), I am jumping ship. Based on my previous ranting and raving about which brands I hate and which I merely dislike, can anyone guess where I'm going?

I've never seen your rants, but... Im just gonna guess... Sony?

I want to know how to get big tax returns when you have little to no income!

Might have to quit my job, get a divorce, and let the wife have full custody of the kids as I hardly get anything back.

Hrm... young age, no income, big returns... Mamiya digital back and a 200mm F/2.8?

Hrm... young age, no income, big returns... Mamiya digital back and a 200mm F/2.8?

Allow me to clarify. I get a big percentage of what was withheld back. I don't think any of you would consider it "big" money. Less Mamiya medium format and more like a pair of plastic fantastics.

Did that give it away?

Curious (i missed your previous ranting/remarks), what about the Pentax system is not meeting your expectations/needs?

I agree that Pentax really dropped the ball on the 645D. It could have become the first "affordable" (relatively) digital medium format system.

I am guessing Nikon.

Curious (i missed your previous ranting/remarks), what about the Pentax system is not meeting your expectations/needs?

I agree that Pentax really dropped the ball on the 645D. It could have become the first "affordable" (relatively) digital medium format system.

I am guessing Nikon.

The limited upward expandability, combined with the fact that I am looking into graduate programs that would put me in a field where it would probably be relatively easy to pick up freelance commercial work. I could invest my limited cash in K-mount lenses, but if the best camera I can mount them to is a K20D, I wasted it.

Pentax doesn't have the high-end bodies that I'd like now and may need later, and I don't want to be tied to a system that could tie me down in the future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back