Battery grip more useful for portrait, landscape, general or sports, action, wildlfe

Discussion in 'Nikon Accessories' started by mauiarcher, Sep 23, 2016.

1. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Nope, that I am not. Haha.

2. mauiarcher

mauiarcher TPF Noob!

Well, I did end up purchasing the mb-d17 for my d500. I am confident I made the right choice vs d750 grip. Shooting my daughters soccer this weekend was much easier in the portrait orientation and allows for quick transitions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. Advanced Photo

Advanced Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    They are great to have and I have never taken one off once it was installed. I can't see any reason to not have one if you can afford it.

4. adamhiram

adamhiram No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I recently upgraded to a D500 with the OEM battery grip, and so far I'm not a big fan.
    • It sounds like most of the benefit is with extended battery life, however this doesn't offer much benefit to me as a casual shooter. I’m just as happy keeping a spare battery in my pocket or camera bag. The ability to use the larger EL-18a battery from the D5 sounds good, except it requires a different charger, which is one more thing to buy and carry. The ability to use AA batteries sounds like it could be useful, but I don't have many other accessories that use them. My speed light and wireless triggers are still on the same AA batteries I put in them a year ago.
    • Grip needs to be removed to get to the primary battery in the body to charge it
    • Bigger and heavier - the body doesn't fit in any of my camera bags without first removing the grip
    • For vertical shots, the grip feels awkward to me with a tripod plate or Blackrapid style strap attached
    Perhaps I need to force myself to use it for a while to get used to it, but so far the pros don't seem to outweigh the cons for me.

5. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What did you upgrade from ?
    I know for me, using a D600/D750 (also d7x00) the D500 is right there in size with or without grip.

But compared to a D5500 the D500 is just monstrous in size and weight. It is also defined as a high FPS Action camera.

Yes the most annoying thing with Nikon cameras and the battery grip is the main battery is still in the body, and the 2nd one is in the Grip. You can configure the camera to use the Grip battery FIRST, then the body battery Second.
    This way I always recharge the grip battery and the body battery is an emergency continuous backup an doesn't need to be recharged often. OR only put a single battery in the grip.

By comparison, the D5x00 series you can buy 3rd party grips where you put 2 batteries in the grip as, since the camera doesn't directly support a grip, requires the body battery to be replaced with a connector from the grip.

With the strap, I also find other straps interfere with my hand. i use the OEM strap but both ends are connected to the left side, thus nothing on the right side to interfere with my right hand.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  6. adamhiram

Photos OK to edit
    That's exactly it - I upgraded from a D5100, so the D500 was already significantly larger and heavier than I was used to.

7. astroNikon

Photos OK to edit
    You identified yourself as a "casual shooter".
    The D500 was designed for the Action photographer. Car races, birds in flight (brides in flight too as my first typo lol), air show stuff, etc that all can use 10 fps shooting. Also, as you probably noticed there no AUTO, AUTO no flash, no SCENE nor EFFECTS modes .. only PASM. Thus designed for the more serious shooter who needs the more sturdy build, more water resistant, and able to handle much larger lenses.

It's the top of the food chain for DX cameras right now in all regards.

8. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I still use a couple D200 bodies, one with grip and one without. I would never want to be trying to decide if I should take the grip off, it is much easier to just grab the camera that is closer to meeting the expected shooting scenario for the day. An all day event, larger lens, high percentage of portrait shots will bring out the body with grip and BlackRapid strap. For everything else the plain body. For a new camera like the D500 I would certainly include a grip.

9. zombiesniper

zombiesniper The camera takes the Pic. I just point the way. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Is this all Nikon's? Can't be.
    Why in the world would a company continue with a stupid design like this unless the engineer is the boss's son?

10. adamhiram

Photos OK to edit
    As a quick follow-up to my original post, I forced myself to use the battery grip for 2 weeks, and I've had a bit of a change of heart. I'm still not taking advantage of most of its benefits, but it definitely feels more balanced when using heavier lenses. Moving forward, I will most likely leave it on unless I have a reason to remove it, such as wanting a smaller or lighter kit for travel.

11. astroNikon

Photos OK to edit
    I believe it's all Nikons. But you may want to check all battery grips and their camera bodies. They also charge too much.

12. snowbear

snowbear Big Furball Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Maybe just the digital ones -- on the N90/N90x (F90), the grip replaces the main battery pack.