Beginners help on wedding/portrait pics

Hi Eddie,

why do I get the impression you are not the official wedding photographer, but are planning to be one on that wedding anyway?
If so, I'm guessing the B&G and the official tog won't be too happy! Maybe you better don your tux and leave the rest of your gear at home, on that occassion.

Not a very kind assumption. Why don't we wait until he answers julie32's question before offering such brash advice.

Eddie, in terms of your 18-55mm lens you should be ok. If it's the kit lens you might want to look into renting a better lens. There's nothing really wrong with a kit lens, but you'll get sharper images out of better glass. Look around at photo supply stores and see if they rent lenses. Also, just to clarify, you'll want to use more than just the 18-55mm lens most likely. If its a traditional wedding you'll need your longer zoom to get closer shots during the ceremony. In conjunction, that sort of range between the two lenses (18-200mm) should suit you well.

the lens mentioed is the

nikon 50mm f1.8

nice sharp lens ranging from 80 to 100 pounds

Originally Posted by Alfred D.
Hi Eddie,

why do I get the impression you are not the official wedding photographer, but are planning to be one on that wedding anyway?
If so, I'm guessing the B&G and the official tog won't be too happy! Maybe you better don your tux and leave the rest of your gear at home, on that occassion.
Not a very kind assumption. Why don't we wait until he answers julie32's question before offering such brash advice.

"Not very kind" is a subjective value judgement, ov. And wrong too. My question isn't "kind" or "unkind". It is matter of fact.

And FYI: Julie32's question was posted as I was typing mine, so I didn't see hers until I had already posted mine.
Her post does, however, prove I'm not the only one with that impression!

Hi Eddie,

Have fun!

Correct, I was only going to take the cam I got as a gesture to take some nice pics after and I know I don't have much of a clue about it, hence why I am asking for advice in the BEGINNERS section :lol:

I do know the B&G and it was only to take some nice shots for them... No intentions of charging or anything, just a bit of fun but to learn as well. Guess this is the response you give to most beginners. How welcoming of you :)

Thanks everyone else for the advice, I know it must be frustrating to people who don't have much of a clue (beginners) :)

Lots of people bring cameras to wedding receptions. I don't see why it would be a problem. If the hired photographer has a problem with him shooting some pictures, he isn't very professional. He ought to be confident enough in his work not to be threatened by someone else with an SLR, as long as they're not screwing up his shots.

I think if the B&G know you are going to take some pictures for them, it will be fun (as long as you like it). :)

As for the flash, I would prefer the one that allow you to bounce off the ceiling or walls.

Don't be afraid to do a search. This topic comes along prety regularly.

Eddie,
For what you're looking to do..looks like you're all set with your D40 and your two lenses...don't worry about getting anything else for this. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Have fun.

Thanks everyone else for the advice, I know it must be frustrating to people who don't have much of a clue (beginners) :)

If you do a search, you will find that this is a very touchy subject for many here. Way more regularly than most like, we see "newbies" or "beginners" say they are about to be primary or main shooters for weddings. This is akin to asking someone who never before sat in a car in their life, to go not only drive, but win a NASCAR race... the results are going to be disasterous at best.

One of the MOST challenging environments that a professional can place themselves in is a wedding scenario, now imagine how much luck a person who cannot even understand the basics would have?

This leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many photographers who really go out of their way to perfect their craft. Imagine yourself spending years developing your skills and then be compared to someone who bought their first dSR a couple weeks before the event for the sole reason of being the family photographer, whilst the paid professional gets ousted because he charges money for his services. It would get stale in your mouth fast as well.

Now, this may or may not be the case, but no matter, if you do a search, you will find a few answers to your questions. As I said... this kind of situation happens quite often, so instead of reading some bad posts in your thread, do a search, and sift out the good from the bad there, and get your answers without needing to wait for the "good" answers to be posted yet again for the 20th time.

Me personally, I am a strong advocate for people KNOWING what they do before they do weddings... you see, if you just happen to be the main photographer, and your experience and knowledge is limited, its just not fair for the B&G. This is one of the most important days of their lives, and they deserve to have it preserved and captured properly. To me, at least, that demands at least one experienced professional in this event, an event that will never be repeated ever again and where there are no second chances.

I hope you now understand why some people feel the need to expel a little negativity under these circumstances.

Good luck with your search.

Jerry,
Very nicely said.
But wouldn't you agree that most B&G's wouldn't "hire" someone who has no experience and is just a beginner? I think they'd want to see that person's previous work and or references before asking them to document a very special day in their lives. I can't imagine anyone would say "yes" to be a main photog at a wedding with no previous experience. This isn't exactly the business of "we need to start somewhere, so let's start with a wedding." Agreed?

But wouldn't you agree that most B&G's wouldn't "hire" someone who has no experience and is just a beginner? I think they'd want to see that person's previous work and or references before asking them to document a very special day in their lives. I can't imagine anyone would say "yes" to be a main photog at a wedding with no previous experience. This isn't exactly the business of "we need to start somewhere, so let's start with a wedding." Agreed?

Kinda-sorta, Julie... lol

Some B&Gs are obviously doing this else we would not see so many beginner enthusiasts asking for help in just such situations.

Now, I think that often this happens becuase the family either is looking for ways to save some money or cut expenses or care less about the pics and more for the cake, location or whatever. I blame that on a lack of understanding on what it takes to shoot a well handled wedding day. Many people do not understand what kind of higher end equipment is truly needed along with the knowledge and experience required to exploit this equipment to their best advantage.

I feel so bad for the B&G because this is a moment in time forever gone, and nothing you can do will ever bring it back or preserve it with the dignity and skill it deserves.

Thanks, Jerry.

I did the very same thing myself last year. :lol: I thought... how insulting, why would someone want to do a SENIOR shoot?? Why not call it adult or mature or grandparent, or something a little more dignified, not old folks. I was corrected a little more forcefully by the young lady who was the subject of the shoot... lol.

F*ck taking pictures at weddings. You gotta get drunk for free and score some highly emotional women.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back