Beginners help on wedding/portrait pics

If you do a search, you will find that this is a very touchy subject for many here. Way more regularly than most like, we see "newbies" or "beginners" say they are about to be primary or main shooters for weddings. This is akin to asking someone who never before sat in a car in their life, to go not only drive, but win a NASCAR race... the results are going to be disasterous at best.

One of the MOST challenging environments that a professional can place themselves in is a wedding scenario, now imagine how much luck a person who cannot even understand the basics would have?

This leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many photographers who really go out of their way to perfect their craft. Imagine yourself spending years developing your skills and then be compared to someone who bought their first dSR a couple weeks before the event for the sole reason of being the family photographer, whilst the paid professional gets ousted because he charges money for his services. It would get stale in your mouth fast as well.

Now, this may or may not be the case, but no matter, if you do a search, you will find a few answers to your questions. As I said... this kind of situation happens quite often, so instead of reading some bad posts in your thread, do a search, and sift out the good from the bad there, and get your answers without needing to wait for the "good" answers to be posted yet again for the 20th time.

Me personally, I am a strong advocate for people KNOWING what they do before they do weddings... you see, if you just happen to be the main photographer, and your experience and knowledge is limited, its just not fair for the B&G. This is one of the most important days of their lives, and they deserve to have it preserved and captured properly. To me, at least, that demands at least one experienced professional in this event, an event that will never be repeated ever again and where there are no second chances.

I hope you now understand why some people feel the need to expel a little negativity under these circumstances.

Good luck with your search.
Gee, jerryPH aren`t being just a little hard? Remember we are beginners,We`ve found a great site with like minded people,one where others try to help,so we`re bound to get a little hyper.why not answer the original question with a reminder that Weddings are so important that it`s best left to a pro? you sort of did that with a diatribe thrown in,it wasn`t called for.:(Looks like I made an enemy before I could make a friend.

Nope, not at all... in this case, I think we need to stop thinking of our egos and think of the people that are important, the B&G.

I've seen the results once, for my second wedding... I'd not wish that on my enemy. ;)

Leave the weddings for the pros. How's that? :lol:

I did the very same thing myself last year. :lol: I thought... how insulting, why would someone want to do a SENIOR shoot?? Why not call it adult or mature or grandparent, or something a little the young lady who was the subject of the shoot... lol.

Honestly Jerry

Why do you even bother with the Beginner forum? You mostly only tell people about how annoyed you are because this came up last week and direct them to search. Aside from new lens/camera release everything beginner has already been discussed so whats the point of even continuing the forum based on your methods?. It is well understood that most or all information can be found by a simple google search, but people like the social aspect of this forum. If you don't have anything to offer the OP besides do a search than save yourself the time and skip to the next thread that interests you.

The OP doesn't deserve to be belittled like this, he is simply asking how to take pictures at a wedding. Lots of people bring their camera to a wedding.

Honestly? If I did not feel that strongly about it, I would not post, thats why. ;)

As for searches... hey, it is a GOOD thing. Why wait for the answer to your question, when there are 20 answers already here all ready for you seconds away??

Hi Eddie,

why do I get the impression you are not the official wedding photographer, but are planning to be one on that wedding anyway?
If so, I'm guessing the B&G and the official tog won't be too happy! Maybe you better don your tux and leave the rest of your gear at home, on that occassion.

Have fun!

Something in your Corn flakes today man? Cuz it seems your into shredding Noob's today.

Honestly Jerry

Why do you even bother with the Beginner forum? You mostly only tell people about how annoyed you are because this came up last week and direct them to search. Aside from new lens/camera release everything beginner has already been discussed so whats the point of even continuing the forum based on your methods?. It is well understood that most or all information can be found by a simple google search, but people like the social aspect of this forum. If you don't have anything to offer the OP besides do a search than save yourself the time and skip to the next thread that interests you.

The OP doesn't deserve to be belittled like this, he is simply asking how to take pictures at a wedding. Lots of people bring their camera to a wedding.

I wouldn't be too hard on Jerry. I've fallen into the trap of just posting a question without giving any thought to doing a search first. Thanks to guys like Jerry politely reminding us to search, I've spent less time waiting for responses and found what I was looking for.

Honestly? If I did not feel that strongly about it, I would not post, thats why. ;)

As for searches... hey, it is a GOOD thing. Why wait for the answer to your question, when there are 20 answers already here all ready for you seconds away??

Then why bother with this forum? I agree searches are good thing. I don't search this forum, but google search information I need. This is an informative social forum about photography. It can be argued that anything related to beginners photography can be found using google. So why should this forum continue? Because Noob's are excited about their new hobby and want to interact socially.

I wouldn't be too hard on Jerry. I've fallen into the trap of just posting a question without giving any thought to doing a search first. Thanks to guys like Jerry politely reminding us to search, I've spent less time waiting for responses and found what I was looking for.

You shouldn't need a guy like Jerry to remind you that search engines exist.

Don't worry about me being hard on him.... he can take it...;)

I value Jerry's opinion when he posts informative responses. Jerry posted a great link the other day for noobs about aperture adjustments. Lately he has been cranky.. and so I'm telling him....

Well, by the same logic, why have a search feature if no-one is going to use it?

This forum has such a VAST reservoire of knowledge that if you look at any of my near 2000 posts, you may find *maybe* 2 questions out of the whole group, and add ONLY 1 request for a sincere critique (which was VERY helpful, BTW).

The reason for that is becuase I am able to find almost all the answers right here without needing to post the question again.

I firmly believe that photography has been around so long that I would have to have a bloody epiphany to ask a question not already answered here... lol.

Also, when I explain something, I hate one aspect. I never, ever say... don't do it, just "because"... I explain why I think a certain way. That way, people don't think my opinion comes from arrogance, but either experience or knowledge. It also offers the people more experienced than I to correct me, if needed (which I enjoy when it comes). ;)

I am a big boy and not everything that I do requires someone to hold my hand through something. I think that if more people had that attitude, the levels of many threads would rise dramatically... and that includes people that want to shoot weddings (yes, just like me, becuase I am working bloody hard to earn that right one day).

Sometimes, we all need a reminder to stop looking for the easy fix... becuase the easier fix is right here ready for you, a click on the search button away and I've had no issues being socially interactive... indeed my social intercourse skills have been often lauded, with many acclaims of me sometimes attaining the status of a cunning linguist. :lol::lol::lol:

Add this to the list of "Jerry potifications and diatribes", if you will. :lmao:

This forum has such a VAST reservoire of knowledge that if you look at any of my near 2000 posts, you may find *maybe* 2 questions out of the whole group, and add ONLY 1 request for a sincere critique (which was VERY helpful, BTW).

How many of those posts are reminding people to search?

Just kidding!

How`s that? dismissive.The point I tried to make is that beginners are beginners,that because we can sometimes take reasonable images,some may think that Weddings are easy to do. We BOTH know they are not,at my level I wouldn`t do anything other carry the gear, keep my mouth shut and learn.You are right about the Bribe and Gloom(pinched that line from the Rugrats cartoon show)and yes egos should be set aside,but to discourage someone outright is not the best way to guide, If you have a wedding photos horror story to tell,why not tell it?again we are beginners,we could benefit from your experiences.

I have not shared my own in detail, because it really is a bit of a sore spot with me... however, what is the difference between me sharing a horror story, and doing a search for many other similar posts that would be more constructive?

Even better... why not google wedding photography? On top of the info here, there is a plethora of info available all nice and ready and layed out for us newbies.

Ever do a search on youtube? hundreds of vids there too! Like everything else, some is crap, some is really good. It is up to each user to sift through the chaff to get to the wheat.

My point is... it is better to actively do the searching, rather than post on a forum about a very often discussed and disected topic, no?

I see the point you are making...for that matter why be a part of The Photo Forum?You are, I am,why bother?Because I/We learn so much more from interaction with those who have gone before us.I can get nuts and bolts info by a search any time,but the human touch is priceless.Here is what I have learned from our discussion...1.Wedding Photograghy is not for the faint hearted...2. be better than good. 3..If you mess it up it won`t be forgotten.4.and more.....so why not just Google?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back