Brick Wall

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It finally happened, I feel like I've run head first into a brick wall. I haven't ever really had a photography dry spot yet, and I've just recently hit one hard running...I was finally getting to the point where I was feeling happy with my work, but now nothing. I've hated my work now for about a week and don't know what to do to fix it. I've tried to climb the wall...but fall down, and right now I'm lacking the direction to go around it.

I know many of you all have had this happen multiple times...so any tips and suggestions as how to get over it would be most helpful. I tried to only do abstracts last night, but just really didn't turn up anything I liked...some please shed some of your wisdom upon me :)

It's a touch of burn-out and it happens.
Best thing is to walk away for a bit. Do something totally different.
Watch some films, read some books, go see some friends. Just leave the camera at home.
Painting a room can be good, too, or weeding the garden. Anything to take your mind of your problems. But don't try to fight it or get impatient. Your Muse won't be hurried and she'll come back in her own time - and when you least expect it.

Thanks Hertz :)

The weird thing with this is that I don't really want to stop shooting though...I just don't like anything I do. It's kind of weird b/c I still have the desire to take shots all the time...but for some reason I feel that everything lately that I shoot sucks big time :lol:

The above advice still holds good.
It's burn-out. You've just been too close for too long. It's not that everything sucks it's just...
Try saying 'elbow' over and over. After a dozen or so times it starts to be meaningless.
That's what has happened to you with photography. You've stared at it too closely for too long and it's got meaningless.
Walk away for a bit.
You'll know when it's time to walk back.

:lol: You're gonna shoot me, b/c I walked away and went and shot more :lol:

Although I am more pleased with two pieces I shot today than I have been....I'm one of those folks you have to smack upside the head with a 2x4 to get me to stop rather than keep pushing myself...

Dang :lol: Can you buy discipline on ebay :lol: Alright no new shots tommorow!!!

I've made it two days with no shots...and for me that's discipline ;)

However yesterday I was inspired by soooo many things but mostly shots that would never be possible to shoot, or at least for now. But I've been snapping hundreds of mental shots, and I think that I will be back in the game soon :)

eromallagadnama said:
However yesterday I was inspired by soooo many things but mostly shots that would never be possible to shoot
This is the game.
You have the idea on one side and what is possible on the other.
What you then have to do is come to the best compromise.
A lot of Photography is compromise.
Being creative means skewing the compromise in favour of your creativity.

I am so glad i looked on here, because i was thinking that it was just me feeling that way, i feel myself getting more and more particular what i shoot, and when i do i am never happy with it, but a simmilar thing has happened to me once before, and i did just what hertz has suggested now, and even though i had a craving to take my camera with me i did'nt, i went and did something entirely different, came back refreshed and raring to go, and it worked wonders.

Good to know that we all hit that point at some place in time dalebe ;)

I didn't shoot for a week, and then the fireworks came, literally, it's amazing how shooting something different really inspires you :)

thanks amanda it sure is nice to know that things have worked out for you, and also a great inspiration for me to look to.

right now, i dont even want to look at my camera (which happens to sit with me on my desk, and im at my desk a lot of my down time)...i just dont feel like taking pictures at the moment and havent taken any shots in about 3-4 weeks. i guess im taking a break for a little while, but i think i just need some sort of inspiration to start shooting again because i want to. its just every time i feel like shooting i jsut dont have the motivation to pick up the camera. perhaps ill take a trip to the gallery and critique sections...

When it was winter, I used to moan about how the day ended fairly fast. When I'm out of work, its pitch dark!
Fast forward... Summer is here with buckets of daylight, yet I haven't touched my camera except for a couple of events/family get togethers. I havent had a chance as of yet to go out hunting images.
I should stop preplanning and discipline myself more!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back