Butterflies where are you?

Do'Urden's Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So this was my very first hardcore attempt at shooting macro. i got my 100mm macro about a month ago but havent spent as much time as i've wanted to with it yet. Unfortunately i dont have a flash yet so these were all taken while having to deal with lack of light... id like some honest C&C. i know my depth of field is too shallow in alot of these but as i mentioned before it was either that or softer shots...

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

they were all shot at the Niagra Parks Butterfly Conservatory in Ontario
Thanks for looking at them!

I shoot with the same macro lens, and find that when I step back a little I get much better shots. My favorite would be #4, a little busy but a great shot.

I wish you hadn't clipped the wings on 1 and 3. In 2 it works better as the wings provide a nice diagonal to bring attention to the body. 1 and 3 also suffer from centering. I think 4 could use a closer crop as there is a lot of space to the right of the butterfly and flowers. Also, the color combination is not working for me. The brownish butterfly gets lost amongst the red flowers especially with the blurred out flowers in the background.

I really like number two.
I'm a newb so I can't say why wtih any authority. As I am reading on composition at the moment, I would venture to say diagonals and especially the triangle of the antennae bring some dynamics to the image.

yeah i wasnt so much aiming for composition on this trip. i was trying to improve my technical skills. Going as sharp as i possibly can and once i master that then im going to start the comp. thanks for the feedback though guys!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back