Buy a Camera, Start A Business?

thenikonguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not one to judge.. but, it seems that people think they can just buy a camera, and start a business... what ever happened to learning your art, assisting someone and learning from them.. why does it seem that more and more people think they took a great picture, so they should start a business?

Am I the only one seeing this? I know people have to start somewhere.. but I think theres more to being a photographer than just having a camera... I studied for a long time, and then worked along side different pros for a long time before I even considered doing anything by myself, other than family photos.. did I do it wrong? or are people just jumping ahead of the game...

Sorry for the rant.. I've just seen a LOT of threads lately where people just bought a camera and are starting a business, even though they've only taken a few photos.

Just because you've spent $1500 on a camera, doesn't mean its time to start a business.. it takes time.. I'm all for people boosting up their own ego and calling themselves a photographer.. even though they don't know any of the finer points of their art... but should you really be advertising yourself as someone who knows what they are doing, when you still are learning how to shoot.. .

i think its happening because the market is there, the elite photographers are always going to have the better jobs and create a better final image/product but it is so easy to break into getting paid for photography that it probably wont let up any time soon.

Heh, you don't even address the idea of creativity and talent, either. It's more important than camera choice.

Whatever, though. The cream always rises to the top.

This has been a bug in my bonnet for awhile now. I've seen several people here who join TPF, announce they have just bought a dslr etc etc and then say they've never taken a photo in their life and can someone tell them how to use the camera. A month later they are posting that they've just had business cards made and they've booked a wedding to shoot! Hello? A months practice shooting ducks at the park doesn't give anyone experience enough to start a business in my opinion. My take on it is this - so many people "think" its the camera that takes the photos. Big camera, nice photos, big money! And since so many people think that way, those doing the hiring of the self professed noob, don't know the difference between professional quality and a vacation snapshot.

Just because you've spent $1500 on a camera, doesn't mean its time to start a business.. it takes time.. I'm all for people boosting up their own ego and calling themselves a photographer.. even though they don't know any of the finer points of their art... but should you really be advertising yourself as someone who knows what they are doing, when you still are learning how to shoot.. .

If you can get people to pay you? Go for it.

Starting a business is easy. Staying in business is another story.

My mentor always stressed taking care of my business and not devoting time or effort contemplating someone elses business.

This has always been a buyer beware society, why should photography be any different? It's the nature of people and society.

The New York Times did a couple of feature stories on the new phenomenon of "moms with a camera" back in 2007.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/27/your-money/27iht-mplay28.4.5478740.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/15/business/yourmoney/15cameras.html

According to the Professional Photographers of America, an "overwhelming" percentage of these new photography businesses are being started by women.

The NYT articles attribute the phenomenon of MWAC photo businesses to the affordability of quality d-slr cameras,and the fact that many of them have husbands who earn income from an outside the home job. The majority of these new businesses are named by simply adding the word "Photography" after the name of the photographer, such as Amy Smith Photography. In 2007, one web development firm said they were creating around 100 new photography business web sites every month!

It's not just women who are starting these shoestring photo businesses of course, there are men doing it too, but, at least according to the PPA, women are the overwhelming majority. I've mentioned this before on other boards, and some women have become offended, but the facts are that women control the buying decisions on most family photography products like family portraits, wall portraits, wedding photos, and so on, and so it makes sense that women-to-women businesses would spring up.

But we also see the same thing in the huge growth of the unwashed masses of paparazzi; old-time paps are disgusted by the new,younger,ill-mannered shooters who were able to get into the biz once Canon made a $1,000 Rebel and cheap laptops,wireless internet, and high-speed modems became a reality. The issue really is that the *barriers to entry* have now been greatly,greatly lowered from what they were years ago, in almost all fields of photography. Darkroom chemicals that used to spoil??? No longer a problem. Lab fees to process film and prints? No longer an issue, you can show previews in minutes,with no proofing costs. A cheap $600 d-slr will give you the equivalent of $50,000 in film and printing costs before the shutter gives up.

Like I have said for years, "everybody's a photographer now."

I studied for a long time, and then worked along side different pros for a long time before I even considered doing anything by myself, other than family photos.. did I do it wrong? or are people just jumping ahead of the game...

Nope............ you did it right. You'll be around a hell'ava lot longer then they will!! Nothing to be concerned about .. ;)

Human nature ... Someone praises you on something you've done, you begin to think they're right .. perhaps someone else/everyone else thinks the same, and ... is willing to PAY YOU MONEY to do this !!!! Running a business is a whole different ball game... :D

r

I think, in part, it's because "Photography" doesn't sound like a trade. When I think professional photographer I don't think education, I dont' think years of slaving as an apprentice, and when I look at a photo I think "Wow, thats beautiful, I could do that". (I readily admit that I can't do that in many cases).

When you think of a painter, a musician, an artist in general, you don't typically think about apprenticeship.

But in reality, if you want to be good and what your doing, you'd be stupid not to find a professional and apprentice yourself to them.

I just turned down an offer to take a wedding...

I have only had my camera about 7 month but i have already been banned from 2 forums for Expressing my opinon in this field
It really annoys me to think people are out there paying money for something they cant use just so they can earn money, Whereas I am willing to wait, Put thought into the Art, Learn to use the camera to its best abillity, Study at college, Dedicate every penny I earn to improving my kit so that it is Easier (not possible but Easier) to take a better photo
I have turned down 4 offers to do a wedding, This is bad for me as it stops my family spreading my name I guess as when the time comes that I feel I can pull off a wedding and keep both, The wedding party and I happy with the outcome, Only then will I consider doing or Charging for my Photography.
Not that I am for people doing weddings completely free as this is putting the Pro's out of a potential job, As the saying goes, Do unto others as You would like done unto you. (dont do what you would hate someone else to do to you)

Although one thing I have acceted (because she has asked before and she is pretty pushy)
My mums friend Is a Singer, She is starting singing at weddings (she has been a Professional singer for 20 odd years, doing clubs, Pubs, used to teach music etc... but shes got ME (the disability) and she had to quit here teaching and her singing, She only started back like last year or so.
I said yes, and she said, Much do you want for it?
I said no no your okay, No need, This will be for my experience, put towards a portfolio.

Most of you photographers get people trying to Undercut you... she turned around and said to me
"there is no friends in business, The other photographer I usually use charges £70, How about i Give you £50 for it?"
How's that for you, A client who wants to pay for you instead of trying to under cut... :p
So as she showed a responsibilty in the pricing, I decided, Hey why not...
It is experience, but i will try Waive her from paying but if she does, It is 2 new memory cards for me I guess :p
No idea when it is tbh...

The reason for True Photographers being undercut is the people hiring have had no experience in real art
Their experience is limited to Office / Retail work or manual labour...
They dont understand the prices of cameras, Lens' or the prints...
Whenever I tell my friends about L series lens' at £700 - £6000 for the lens they are like :O thats nuts why would people pay that, i didnt think it would be so dear...
Then I show my kit, Explain that is only £2000 worth of kit (not much in my kit tbh.)
Then they are really surprised at the cost of photography
Sure anyone can take a photo, But only few people can take a GOOD photograph.

There should be an article put in the paper once a year "why Photographers cost so much, Photography is a form of Creative art, How much would you pay for a painting? £200? well a photographer is a painter, but with Higher quality and finer details, they charge for their art and they charge to cover their fees such as printing and their Websites to keep their client communication open" and the rest of the article... lol

Last edited:
I'm not one to judge..

Your first five word sentence says it all. I think people want better photos of their families other than going to Wal-Mart and getting a "Plain Jane" portrait which is where I think I could do them justice.. Just because someone wants to have a business does not mean they are saying to the rest of you that you are inferior. I don't think that people want to go to a photographer that's at the top of his game charging a ton of money when they just want an above average photo.

I Kinda thought that was the american way... The best part is that is a moron does it with out knowing what he is doing people will find out. The business will fail. And people will learn you get what you pay for.

I'm not one to judge.. but, it seems that people think they can just buy a camera, and start a business... what ever happened to learning your art, assisting someone and learning from them.. why does it seem that more and more people think they took a great picture, so they should start a business?

Am I the only one seeing this? I know people have to start somewhere.. but I think theres more to being a photographer than just having a camera... I studied for a long time, and then worked along side different pros for a long time before I even considered doing anything by myself, other than family photos.. did I do it wrong? or are people just jumping ahead of the game...

Sorry for the rant.. I've just seen a LOT of threads lately where people just bought a camera and are starting a business, even though they've only taken a few photos.

hmmmm....wondering if you're referring to me because you responded to my post but misunderstood it saying I need to learn what I have before starting a business....but I did NOT say I was starting a business...I was referring to taking pictures in general as a hobby....can I take my own kids photo's?? OR its required that I go to Walmart or a professional photographer?

If you can get people to pay you? Go for it.

Starting a business is easy. Staying in business is another story.

My mentor always stressed taking care of my business and not devoting time or effort contemplating someone elses business.

Right On!!!

I'm not one to judge..

Your first five word sentence says it all. I think people want better photos of their families other than going to Wal-Mart and getting a "Plain Jane" portrait which is where I think I could do them justice.. Just because someone wants to have a business does not mean they are saying to the rest of you that you are inferior. I don't think that people want to go to a photographer that's at the top of his game charging a ton of money when they just want an above average photo.

Totally Agree
And as for places like WalMart and some of these other portrait places, Sears, Portrait Innovations and alot others.....they just have the money to invest in the equipment because half the people they hire don't even have experience or even know what aperture/ISO/lighting and all that other stuff mean. All they know is what button to press to take the picture.

I Kinda thought that was the american way... The best part is that is a moron does it with out knowing what he is doing people will find out. The business will fail. And people will learn you get what you pay for.

Totally Agree here too

To each its own. I feel if someone wants to start a business and know nothing about it, then thats their problem and they will have to later suffer the consequences. On another note, some people don't want to go to WalMart or can't afford to go to a professional photographer, so that is where the other class of so-call picture taking people or photographers come in. You might not like the idea of it, but some people do.

I deal with alot of music artists and they are always needing photoshoots done. They know I have a camera that can get the job done. They just need simple photos so they can be photoshopped. But, do I offer photography as one of my services, NO. Even though they want a simple point and shoot photo, which a baby can do, I still don't feel right taking photos because I am not experienced in that area. But, maybe when I get more experience, maybe I could offer that service if they need new photos for they album cover or something.

Last edited:
Ah, the ol' "<name> Photography" gig. Bah. I'm thinking Crimson Phoenix Photography for me. Can play-up the mythology of the phoenix and relate it to a guarantee to keep all the images from a shoot (or guarantees of prints, yadda yadda), and it goes nicely with my current hair colour of choice (really bright, bright red). Bwahahahaha.

Of course, I'm not crazy either. That's quite a ways off yet. Hell, I know more than most beginners, but I'm not crazy enough to think that I have the skills to own and operate a sucessful photography business yet. I think this is a problem with people over-estimating their abilities. (And thinking nice cameras make good photos. Many people approach me saying "Nice camera!" *point flash at their face, set to full power* POW! "OW!" "What? It was trying to take a photo of you! Don't blame me; the camera does all the work!" :lol: )

you guys have all made some great points.. I especially apprecitate the idea of those who studied their art, and practiced, will be in business for a long time... that makes sense i guess.. even when I think about my local area, there seem to be photography businesses popping up every month.. but they don't last long.. some have even invested THOUSANDS of dollars, because their mom said they did a great job on the family photo.. but then, when they opened the studio, moms opinion was no longer important.

to dezignx.. i wasnt just referring to you.. there are a lot of people on the forum who do it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back