Canon Rebel features

Dubie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wow there are a lot. Those of you that own one do you find yourselves using every single one of them? I am still perusing the manual and I am impressed with all you can do.

I haven't come close to touching them all, but then again I've had it less than a month and I'm very new to this all so I'm still working on getting the exposure correct while trying to get it composed at least somewhat correctly.

You have to remember that these cameras are made for a wide variety of people and situations. Canon (and most all manufacturers) put on features that they think will appeal to their target market. The top end cameras don't even have a built in flash...because someone who buys those cameras wouldn't be caught dead using the built-in flash anyway. Sometimes they do silly things, like include an external button just for 'direct printing'...I don't know anyone who buys a $1000+ DSLR camera and then sends prints directly to a Canon printer.

I can't remember ever using the 'picture' modes on my cameras. You know the one I mean...portrait, sports, landscape etc. Those are there for people who don't really understand the basics of exposure, shutter speed and aperture. Those modes don't actually do anything that you can't do in Av, Tv or Manual.

I guess it's nice to have all these features...but really, there is no need to use them all.

I guess it's nice to have all these features...but really, there is no need to use them all.

I agree. Other than my first day with the camera before I purchased the Understanding Exposure book, I haven't gone back to any of the automated modes. I absolutely hate the built in flash. It seems to cause more problems with the pictures than it helps, so that is the next thing on my list to get.

I sure do find a way to get into the most expensive hobbies.

I do not have a D200 and I have gone through a lot if not all of the features on my camera. However, I do not use all of them. I hardly ever use (used maybe once) photo overlay. A lot of cameras have way more features than most people with never use. The autofocus I only use when I shoot sports, so if you are not shooting something like sports, you might never use autofocus.

i have a 400d (i think its the same as xti?) and i only use it in manual, i have also gone through all the features and dont find many of them to be that useful. i use it like i used my canon 3000n (very very basic entry lever slr) but its digital so you dont pay developing costs, you just spend $$$ on computer :p

I've never used anything but manual, even since day one, or even the first few minutes.

Dubie, just mess around with all the manual settings. There technically isn't that many, just the usual for photography such as shutter speed, aperture, ISO and a few more.

I only use Av,Tv, and Manual. When setting up landscapes , I try to make sure everything is perfect, so i work with Manual. Tv, when shotting action shots, i want to make sure the shutter speed is fast, and I'm not all too concerned about everything else, as everything is moving to fast. With spontaneous portraits the easiest thing is for me to only adjust the aperture size.

Thanks you all! I started a class last week and the book for the class is awesome. Really explains aperture, shutter speed and all that. I never really understood any of that because all the books I read did not explain as clearly as the course book!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back