Canon vs. Nikon

Zoolfoos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It seems like nowadays, if you ask, everybody says "get a Canon!" Although, Nikon is still quite popular, especially with the media. Personally, I'm a nikon fan myself... but I don't have very much experience with Canon. I will say that I'm a bit skeptical about the whole firmware thing with the 300D and Digital Rebel (if you don't know... one of the main differences between the 300D and the Digital Rebel is the firmware. You can hack many of the Digital Rebel's features into your 300D by updating it's firmware with the Digital Rebel's). Although I do understand that many companies do this... I still think its kinda stupid. I love my Nikon FM! Nice'n fully manual!

So... which do you prefer? Why?

With modern 35mm film SLRs I see little difference between the two brands. With digital I can see how there could be more of a difference.

I shot a wedding today using a Hasselblad 500CM, a Nikon FM2n, and a Canon AE-1 (I also prefer full manual). Comparing those 2 particular 35mm SLRs the Nikon FM2n wins hands down: easier to see the split focus ring in low light situations, 1/250th flash sync (vs. 1/60 on the AE-1), and I prefer the Nikon meter display (the FM2n just tells you if you are over or under, the AE-1 tells you the correct f/stop for the shutter speed you are set on). All that said, the AE-1 is still a great camera. Of course the Hassy kicks both of their butts. :wink:

Zoolfoos said:
if you don't know... one of the main differences between the 300D and the Digital Rebel is the firmware. You can hack many of the Digital Rebel's features into your 300D by updating it's firmware with the Digital Rebel's
:?

I don't know what you're talking about... but you don't hack 300D into The DRebel or the other way around. It's the same camera

If you hack the 300D/Rebel then it will basically become a 10D

You should consider knowing befoer saying.

Sorry DocFrankenstein... I was misinformed.

DocFrankenstein said:
You should consider knowing befoer saying.

By the way... you should consider learning how to spell. :x

yes, I didn't know how to spell "before" untill I looked it up in the dictionary. :?

Peace dude

Well I'm glad that I've had this opportunity to help educate you.

In all honesty... I am fairly new to photography. So, I realize that a lot of the time I may be incorrect, and I'm willing to admit it when that happens. It's just the sarcasm that makes me angry. I don't know you... but if you DON'T want to make yourself look like a jerk, don't act like one.

So... If you have any decency you and I both can drop this (I'll assume that "peace dude" wasn't meant to be sarcastic). I appreciate your correction of my mistake but I'd appreciate it even more if you'd make a post answering the question at hand. Canon or Nikon?

Ugh...
In retrospect I realize that I was just as sarcastic and jerk-ish as I told DocFrankenstein not to be. So I'd like to ask again (a little more nicely this time) that we just drop the argument and continue the thread as it should have been. I don't want to give a bad impression of myself either... and I hope we can overlook this minor incident.

malachite said:
Tsk tsk........ typical Minolta people :p

With all due respect, I'm a nikon person. :D

Zoolfoos said:
It seems like nowadays, if you ask, everybody says "get a Canon!" Although, Nikon is still quite popular, especially with the media. Personally, I'm a nikon fan myself... but I don't have very much experience with Canon. I will say that I'm a bit skeptical about the whole firmware thing with the 300D and Digital Rebel (if you don't know... one of the main differences between the 300D and the Digital Rebel is the firmware. You can hack many of the Digital Rebel's features into your 300D by updating it's firmware with the Digital Rebel's). Although I do understand that many companies do this... I still think its kinda stupid. I love my Nikon FM! Nice'n fully manual!

So... which do you prefer? Why?

ford vs. chevy. Either way you're getting quality. Sure Canon is usually one step forward in the digital market but Nikon still makes quality products. I use Nikon because that's what I started on, I considered switching to Canon recently when I was going to digital but after talking to some people in the photo industry they pointed out that Nikon is still quality.

Most reactions

Back