D90 for Real?

I was only kidding.. i like technology. I love my computer, I love digital music, I love my iPhone and everything it does. (solitaire is great on it, heh, heh) but I don't think i'd ever use a video feature in an SLR. I don't really care if it's there as long as it doesn't compromise anything on the still photo end. I have owned some point and shoots with video and never used them. One thing is it takes up too much card space that I could use for still photos, another is the quality is never really that great compared to a dedicated video camera.

I think its pretty neat that the D90 can do video... especially if it is aimed at a typical consumer. Me personally, I hate video... it doesn't interest me one bit BUT it would be nice to switch to video and record my son doing his various "firsts" as he grows up. I could care less if that clip isn't as nice as a dedicated video camera.... I would use the D90 in video mode knowing full well of that compromise.

Now... if you tell me they are making a Leica M9 with video capability... I'd have a different feeling as it doesn't fit the basic design concept of a Leica rangefinder.

Old guys and luddites use a cell phone as a phone only. .....

PS: I'm pretty drunk right now (seeing two or three letters appear for every key I press) so I hope that made sense. :p

I agree to a certain extent.... I like dedicated tools because they do a single job very well which IMO is much much better than a tool that does many things "just ok". Cell phones are a distinct example of this observation.

Just playing devils advocate.

We see 3fps... bleh.
We see 6fps... ok better
We see 10fps... NICE!

What if we see 20 fps, 30 fps, 60 fps, .... up until we are basically shooting video. Would we still have positive things to say or suddenly would we all be saying its all crap?

I perfer to shoot with all primes... does that make me a luddite?

What if we see 20 fps, 30 fps, 60 fps, .... up until we are basically shooting video. Would we still have positive things to say or suddenly would we all be saying its all crap?
Technically, the human mind cannot perceive still images at 12 fps. Transitions become smooth at 20-25 fps.

:lol: I laugh nothing off... well, except your typing a message that long coherrently while drunk. :lol:

Speaking specifically to your cell phone example, you would probably call me a luddite because I disdain certain aspects of my phone/pda/email thing/bottle washer...

I disdain these things, however, not because "it's a phone, damnit! you whippersnappers need to use it as a phone and stop your tomfoolery!" but rather because a lot of these devices do 15,000 things, and do all of them POORLY.

:D

I hear you. But for video on a dSLR it won't be like that. The dSLR will still work exactly the same. Also most of the bad points you mention further down in your post, about video on a point and shoot will be remedied by the large video size and the manual functions (f/... ISO, and focus) inherent on a dSLR.

Also K_Pugh, etc., don't take it as an insult being the luddites that you are ;) as it's not really a put-down so much as it is a frame of mind (and/or opinion) about the evolution of dSLRs. It's not evil to dislike a new feature. I totally dislike the evolution of build materials in dSLRs for example. ;)

And if the video is crappy then I won't like it either! So nya nya. :D

Just as a side note: it's interesting to think of a whole new breed of amateur (I'm thinking Napoleon Dynamite, on that level) videography, with full manual control and possibility for bokeh all that...

I
Just playing devils advocate.

We see 3fps... bleh.
We see 6fps... ok better
We see 10fps... NICE!

Exactly! :thumbup:

I perfer to shoot with all primes... does that make me a luddite?

Good point. Like zooms and primes video is coming as an additional feature and not a replacement technology so luddite is probably an inappropriate term. OOPS :D

Last edited:
lol nah i didn't take it as an insult.. i know i'm a luddite! not that i don't like technological advances, i'm all for that obviously.. but a so-so video feature in a DSLR doesn't sound like much of a technological advancement to me. :)

the thing about the dust. I just meant that the sensor may be more susceptible to dust in video mode if the camera is getting moved around constantly perhaps stirring up the dust.. probably not, buy you never know :p i'm just looking for put this video malarkey to shame! :lol:

lol nah i didn't take it as an insult.. i know i'm a luddite! not that i don't like technological advances, i'm all for that obviously.. but a so-so video feature in a DSLR doesn't sound like much of a technological advancement to me. :)

the thing about the dust. I just meant that the sensor may be more susceptible to dust in video mode if the camera is getting moved around constantly perhaps stirring up the dust.. probably not, buy you never know :p i'm just looking for put this video malarkey to shame! :lol:

Well that's just it. It's impossible for the feature to be "so-so" if it's on a dSLR.

They couldn't muck it up unless they actually tried hard to do so.

All the components for awesomeness are there. HQ Glass, Manual zoom, Manual focus, tracking (servo) focus, Aperture, large CMOS, large frame sizes (1080p, 1080i, or 720p - any of which can be used in professional cinematography), manual white balance, etc..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back