Do you use a UF filter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moglex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There have been some pretty dogmatic statements on the "You should Never use Any filters, except" thread.

I wondered what the consensus was amongst members here.

You don't have the option i would choose in your poll.

Yes, but only when in extremely dusty/wet environments.

UV filtering only effective on Film camera's.

The sensor/sensor-filter in most DSLR's are not sensitive to wavelengths below 400nm ... so a UV filter's only purpose on Digital Camera's is for protection only.

You don't have the option i would choose in your poll.

Yes, but only when in extremely dusty/wet environments.

Perhaps a kindly mod would add an option: "Yes, but only in particularly hazardous conditions".

The sensor/sensor-filter in most DSLR's are not sensitive to wavelengths below 400nm ... so a UV filter's only purpose on Digital Camera's is for protection only.

This poll is not limited to digital camera users. :lol:

I'm afraid I never use a UV filter :guilty:. Do I get a smack now?

Nah, I really just don't think it's worth it. I suppose that if I was shooting in rain/sand/snow a lot, then yes, I would invest in a high-quality one, or possibly just a protection filter. I use my CPL for counteracting haze.

Yes - All time time, on any lens I use. Sometimes I use a polarizing filter to bring out colour etc.. where appropriate.

...Don't even own one.

Yet we get information to the contrary to this all the time. Wish I knew what to believe.

Yet we get information to the contrary to this all the time. Wish I knew what to believe.

Don't the coatings on modern lenses eliminate the need for UV filters too?
...So even with film, you wouldn't really need one.

Well you can scratch the vote for:Yes, but only to counteract UV haze

Add a vote for: Yes, but only in particularly hazardous conditions

The choice wasn't offered when I voted so I chose the closest thing.

Most reactions

Back