Drugs and Creativity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I disagree with you, but a blatant case of double standards.

I deserve that, and at times, I really do feel like a hypocrite for imposing these rules. But, my first job is to a be a parent, not a buddy. I believe I have a good friendship with my son, but the rules come first. He knows that when he turns 18, very soon (OMG...too soon), he will be responsible for his own actions (literally & legally) and his own life, but while I am responsible for his care, my rules apply.
He also knows that I will never tell him that he is unwelcome in my home because of what he does or doesn't do.:hug::

I know... I said I wouldn't post here again, but I just can't seem to get away ;)

First, I want to address Iron Flatline... I did not call you close-minded, I said your statement was a close-minded judgement - which it was. You appeared to be making judgments/assumptions and writing them as factual statments. Maybe this is not what you intended, but it is how your words read. Additionally, I only commented specifically on some of your statments because they were the most recent examples at the time... certainly not the only examples in this thread! My overall comments regarding close-mindedness, false propoganda, etc was about the thread as a whole and directed to those who, indeed, are turning thier assumptions and uneducated judgements into their own false anti-drug propoganda/soapbox.

This brings me to my second point - I want to reiterate that people still seem to be missing the point of the original post: The question was NOT "Should I try/take drugs to increase my creativity" NOR was it "Do people need drugs to increase creativity" NOR was it "Does everyone who takes drug become more creative". The question simply asks...

Do drugs help us enhance or inhibit creativity and our expression of such?

The fact is, they do both depending on the type, amount, and individual... it's been proven... there's your answer... whether drugs are bad for you, whether your will 'become a junkie after one hit' (ughhh!), whether other famous artists who were affected creatively by drugs died young, whether your personal creativity was enhance or inhibited, whether you believe the propoganda or not, whether you think drugs are the root of all evil (again, ughhh!)... none of this is even relevant to the question at hand.

Again, recognizing and acknowledging proven information, is not the same as advocating drug use/abuse... lighten up a little.

I can't believe I just sat here and wasted another minute of this thread.

... can't we all just get along? :lol:

That's exactly where I disagree. Why is this so unacceptable?

Drugs may enhance creativity (momentarily), but I don't see them enhancing the continued expression of such.

I know what my creativity is about, and it takes a lot of elements to my work, none of which really benefit from being high - I know this, because I've tried it.

As a matter of fact, I have tried it so many times, and know lots of other people who are serious about their creativity and have run substantial personal drug experiments, that I feel comfortable saying "No - drugs and creativity don't successfully mix." It may feel as though they do, but that's simply the novelty of doing the two things concurrently (drugs and whatever your creative pursuit is.)

At its best, creativity is not something that you do with one or the other half o of your brain. Rather, it is strongly informed by feelings. Drugs have always shut down or altered the way a person feels. Not perceives, but really feels something.

Any creative person has a ritual. Writers need to be consistent about the time (and often place) in which they can write, photographers need to face their subject a certain way, painters need their space. Any of the great artists in time have something in common: diligence and consistency. But none of them have ever listed any drugs as part of their ritual. There must be some exceptions, as there always are, of course. One writer (Graham Greene, I think) wrote that he had one glass of champagne after breakfast before he sat down to write, because it is part of his ritual. That doesn't sound like it is the kind of buzz that continues throughout the day.

And just to say it one more time: I've been around a lot of people, as am sure have many of you. The fact is most just get high because they like to get high. Typically they're still younger, so they're still getting to know themselves, are comfortable with themselves, and are exploring different versions and different environments. Getting high in combination with creativity is often part of that phase, and frankly a bit of a justification.

You will find out quickly that it doesn't work over the long term. But by all means, do what you must. Just don't assume we're all a bunch of Dr. Phil watching church goers.

You will find out quickly that it doesn't work over the long term. But by all means, do what you must. Just don't assume we're all a bunch of Dr. Phil watching church goers.

^^Are you responding to me? ... I really don't know what you're talking about...

Who said anything about working over the long term? do what you must? Dr. Phil watching church goers?

I know what my creativity is about, and it takes a lot of elements to my work, none of which really benefit from being high - I know this, because I've tried it.

As a matter of fact, I have tried it so many times, and know lots of other people who are serious about their creativity and have run substantial personal drug experiments, that I feel comfortable saying "No - drugs and creativity don't successfully mix." It may feel as though they do, but that's simply the novelty of doing the two things concurrently (drugs and whatever your creative pursuit is.)

Again, your taking your own experiences and projecting them onto the "world" of drugs and creativity with no factual merit other than your own personal results. While your beliefs/perceptions obviously work for you, it does not mean that is 'how things are'. It is this type of thinking that I refer to when speaking of close-mindedness (not calling you close-minded, but in some of your statements...) - to be unable to acknowledge that there is a world of experiences and truth out there that do not paralell your own - whether you agree with the "other" or not.

Any creative person has a ritual.

It's these unfounded, concrete statements within your argument that make it appear weak and invalid.

First of all, you cant talk about drugs without people also displaying their opinions about them, its just how it is.

Some people have been in some intense situations and they cant talk about certain subjects without giving a little tiny bit of admonition, this is a good thing , this is what separates us from animals, we can learn the why behind the facts of life. Do what you want with it.......personally I think it takes guts and a lot of care to mention ones past and kind of try to give a little tiny advice to possibly help others out.

Iron is just displaying some mature care here , thats all.
we should be so lucky there are older and wiser people to help give us advice.

now onward to the subject at hand,

I dont know if anyones really considers caffeine a serious drug, but I seem to be able to just go into a creative tear when I have some. But only a normal amount, too much and it doesnt work. I usually have a cup a day thats it. how to they doctors classify caffeine ? Im just curious...

First of all, you cant talk about drugs without people also displaying their opinions about them, its just how it is

I agree... I express mine with relation to personal experience quite often (as I did earlier in this thread). However, expressing one's opinion and passing judgement and/or personal perceptions on as factual/concrete information are two completely different things.

... This has to fall under the "stupid question" catagory. ...

No, I consider it a 'gift.'

Straight or bent, I've never been bored a day in my life. :)

Dude, c_lawrence, you've expressed your opinion, and now your bullying everyone here into somehow agreeing with you, or implying they're closed minded.

Fine, please, you win this argument. You're unbelievably cool, and you do a lot of drugs, and you're a creative genius - both straight and even better high.

Accept this: there are no facts to this conversation, because individuals can only live one life at a time. You don't get the chance to do it both ways.

You've expressed your opinion, now move on. If someone is closed-minded, let them be - don't force your way on them. THAT would be closed minded.

Do drugs help us enhance or inhibit creativity and our expression of such?-

I don't do drugs and I don't drink. But there was time for number of years where I -every now and then- took sleeping tablets to help me to sleep in facing shift rostering. In that limited experience I found it that the sleeping tablet was detremintal to my well being.

Anyway, in my opinion creative enhancing drugs to me are just a stimulant to help the crappy brain. Just like a car with dead battery, it needs to be jumped started.

There are better ways to do that. Religion teachs it's adherents to pray, in which many people misunderstood what pray is all about. When pray is used to benefit the self - it is a futile.

Another method is meditation. This one help to put the brain to have quick rest. Than hopefully it will have full capacity to do the duty ahead once the meditation end.

Than also body exercise. All of these are important to keep the body in it's full capacity. Than one of the most important thing you do have fun by it regardless of what is the outcome.

So no drugs or drink but cheers :D

+1 for everything Iron has said.

For me... I've done my share and I feel it lowered inhibitions that might've hindered my "normal" abilities to be creative but it's not like it changed me or MADE me more creative. <now I'm picturing Clark Kent smoking a doober and then ripping off his shirt and turning into Superman>.

most of the things that i have thought of while being high are the worst ideas ever when im not!!! HA HA HA!!! (i dont smoke anymore)

Iron Flatline... you're so funny!
Man... maybe you should take it easy!

Apparently you are not really paying attention to what is being written...
First, I DONT do drugs (said that earlier)
Second, I didn't realize that speaking my opinion is "forcing" anyone to do or think anything??? The majority of this post is opinion... I haven't felt like I was being "forced" to agree with anyone.
Third, I agree there are not many facts to this conversation, but there ARE facts on this topic, and if you chose to ignore them, then that's your right.
Forth, I have NEVER implied I am a creative "genuis". I have made it very clear on this forum that I have a LOT to learn.

Accept this:
...are you "forcing" me?? :lol:

"bullying everyone"... hahahahaha!... I have made no commands to anyone
...now move on...
...but whatever. If someone stating thier opinion PARTIALLY in response to something you wrote.... well, I'm just glad I have read and written everything on this post while laughing my *** off... maybe you should try it sometime... I think it's important to remember that it is extremely difficult to determine one's emotions, sarcasm, intent, etc through written words online... much of this kind of information is gathered via body language or other visual, non-written gestures that you just can't pick up through a computer screen. So, when you are reading this stufff, try not to take it so personally. This one little thread on this one little forum is really meaningless in the whole scheme of things... For me, it's simply entertainment after an often emotionally excrutiating & exhausting day at work... It appears as though you have been hurt by me and are letting your blood pressure rise... this was certainly not my intention and, thus, my apologies for that.

can someone close this thread, it has gone from an interesting read to beyond annoying and obnoxious....

can someone close this thread, it has gone from an interesting read to beyond annoying and obnoxious....

I agree.

Drugs seem to have worked for some and not for others. Imaginations seem to have been sparked by usage in the past, but tends to get in the way in the current.

Thanks everyone for being honest about things. I still smoke weed, but find it to obscure things more and more every day and therefore use it less and less. I feel my work is becoming better for the lack of interest in the 'inspiration.'

Ther is a reason that drug stores come standard with 1-hour photo ;)

Yes- Because one hour photo booths have lousy drugs.

I love riddles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back