FIlm or Camera?

sweptvolume

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Houston, Texas; Russellville and Fayetteville, Ark
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to Walgreens to have some 35mm practice film developed. Only 4 pics developed, and the rest of the negatives didn't look like they took any light at all. Only thing i can think of is that the film didn't advance, but I know for a fact it did. The pics weren't important, but the only other info I can add is that it seems as though the camera isn't focusing correctly. It's a Canon AE-1 that has been in a closet for 15 years, think I should just go ahead and have it cleaned and let them do any calibration it might need? I'm thinking it's an issue with the camera itself, but it's hard to say...?

is it possible you got your f stops confused and thought, while taking pics in low light situatoins, that the higher the number = the wider the aperature?

I did that once when I was a photo noob. Resulted in a whole lot of black images.

Getting it cleaned after so many years dormant isn't a bad idea. If you place it at a fast speed like 1/500+ how does it sound? Crisp, clear, clean. Is there a delay, or does it take the shot as soon as you push the button? Sometimes the grease will gum up, but if you actuate it 50 times or so at its fastest speed it can get that old grease to work again.

Did you use a flash??? What were the conditions you were shooting in?? Did you follow the meter??? Is it an AE-1 Program did you use Program?? Do you have a new battery in the camera?? I think answering a few more questions would help before shelling out money for a calibration. Also if you want to really do a good test of the meter in the camera shoot a rool of slides through it. This way you will get exactly what you shot and noone will be able to manipulate your images for density.

I'm not sure if it's a "Program" model AE-1 or not. Haven't compared them and so not sure of the difference. The aperture was set on auto and I had the camera switched to the correct film speed (200.) They were indoor shots but lighting was good. The internal meter on the camera said slightly underexposed but I've had pictures developed that the meter gave me a warning light. They were't any good, but they were printed.

I'll actuate it a few times on 1/1000 shutter speed, but it snaps crisply with no hangup.

JIP- I did not use a flash, but I expected the lighting indoors was sufficient. I'm beginning to think my film speed was not sufficient, though. I did follow the meter. I'll get some slides to run through it, and it's running a brand new battery which tested fine.

Thanks for all the input. I'll put it to good use and see how it turns out.

If it was an AE-1 Program on the shutter speed dial there would be a "Program" selection and it would say exactly that "Program". Also if you do use slides you need to follow the meter exactly. I thnk the AE-1 tells you the shutter speeds Right it has been a while since I have used mine. But as I said follow what the meter tells you and with the slides you will get a sense of how accurate everything is.

To find out if the film is advancing or not, look at your last viewable image and see if it has multiple exposures. If there's just one images showing, then the film was advancing.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Most reactions

Back