Finding the right lens

UM4R3X

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I just got back from Wekfest San Jose (Car Show) and I used my 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon lens to take pictures of the cars and it worked out pretty well, but for a decent amount of my shots I just knew that it wasn't the lens that I should have been using. It made it easy to take pictures because it was such a wide angle that I wouldn't have to stand super far back and bump into cars and other people, but anyways I was wondering if you guys had any other lenses that you have used to photograph cars that might not have as much of a fish eye effect that works nicely. Thanks!

If you want to see some of the pictures I took just message me, I would post them but the files are too large.

What camera? Would not the kit lens be perfect.

Perspective Distortion. You can use it to your artistic advantage, or learn more about it to learn how to not get it.
==> What is Distortion

Really, what you are getting at is you are too close with too wide an angle lens. You need to step further back to start minimizing perspective distortion (yes, you may not have the space). Or learn how to use it better.

Do you have examples that you can post ?

If you want to see some of the pictures I took just message me, I would post them but the files are too large.

Any photoediting package will have the option to resize. If you resize to ~1000 pixels across & save as JPEG with quality turned down just a fraction they'll be small enough to post.

I ended up using a telephoto for most of the shots I took of cars at the weekend - just picking out details like reflections & badges. As usual for shows they were parked too close to get the ideal shots of the car as a whole - and the best of them were roped off to keep people away...
I can't think of many lenses that couldn't be used to good effect on cars -it all depends on the circumstances & the effect wanted.

What camera? Would not the kit lens be perfect.

I'm using a Nikon D5300.

I'll post pictures during my lunch break today.

Running short on time for my lunch break, my profile picture is one that I took with that lens if you want to look at that, probably my best picture I took with that lens, although my ISO was a little too high, but I'll post some more later today

When I was shooting crop, I mostly used my Tokina 12-24 when taking pictures of cars, it worked out really well.

Most of these were shot using the 12-24. Some the later ones are with the 24-85 when I switched to the D610.

Automotive Flickr - Photo Sharing

I was wondering if you guys had any other lenses that you have used to photograph cars ..
A wide angle lens can be used to advantage when needing a closeup or wanting to emphasize something.

I would probably use my dumb old zoom lens, just like for every other photo outing.

When I was shooting crop, I mostly used my Tokina 12-24 when taking pictures of cars, it worked out really well.

Most of these were shot using the 12-24. Some the later ones are with the 24-85 when I switched to the D610.

Automotive Flickr - Photo Sharing
Those are some awesome shots my man, thanks for that! I'll see if I can get my hands on one of those lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back