First Job don't know what to charge

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by pfx_photo, Aug 11, 2009.

1. pfx_photo

pfx_photo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am new to the forum and so far I think this place is great. I just got an email for my first paying job and I do not know what to charge so I was hoping some of you would have some suggestions. I would be one of 3 photographers for an outdoor wedding. Basically I would just be doing "extra" shots, random party shots, and some scenery shots as well. They like my photos more for the artistic style rather than traditional wedding stuff. So I will be doing that.

Any suggestions on what to charge? I do to want to do too much but I want to make it worth while.

Any help would be awesome.

Thank you/

2. Christos_2006

Christos_2006 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok i have to ask, who exactly is hiring you? the primary photographer or the bride and groom?

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    - Are you required to travel? -- you may want to add travel costs into your amount

- How long will you be shooting for? -- what would you charge for 1 hour shooting x how long you would shoot for

- Are you doing prints, providing a high res CD, retouching,...? -- all things to factor in.

There is no one set price for any type of photography. I would not see what you are doing as involved as shooting the entire wedding, but it still is your time.

Do you have a flat rate you work with? As in, if someone wanted some headshots done, outdoors, no studio, how much would you charge for a 1 hour shoot + 2-3 images?

Start with the known amounts you would charge, bring it down to an hourly rate, then work up to how long you will be working at the wedding + extras

4. pfx_photo

pfx_photo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    THanks for the quick responses.

The bride contacted me for this job. I believe she wants me to do more of the artsy pics as compared to traditional wedding ones.

And big thanks to bigtwinky - I did not think of that so now I have something to start with. I appreciate the help.

5. Christos_2006

Christos_2006 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So here is the thing if the bride is hiring you. Does she have a contract with the primary photographer? what does it say about other hired photographers? Does the primary photographer know you will be there? is he/she ok with it?
    Depending on how you answer the above questions this may be unprofessional on your behalf.

6. pfx_photo

pfx_photo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is a good point. I am just assuming but will have to shoot her an email to find out.

7. Christos_2006

Christos_2006 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    PFX, it would be wise to find out more details before making a commitment. If it's ok with everyone involved by all means go for it, have a great time and knock it out of the park. Oh yeah bigtwinky gave you some good starting points.
    Let us know how it goes.