GED

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by chris_arnet, Sep 11, 2007.

1. chris_arnet

chris_arnet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What do yall think about a GED? will it hinder my possible career as a photographer? i just really dont have the time to do high school, and really want to get on with my life. Can i Get into Community Colleges With a GED? any help appreciated.

btw, my long term plan is a year of community college, then transfe into a real college and major in arts/photography. or photojournalism.

2. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think your chances will be much better if you finish high school and get your diploma.

3. chris_arnet

chris_arnet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    right, but my grades suck. and if you have a college diploma, do colleges look to see what high school education you have?

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get your butt in gear and finish high school. Trust me.

5. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Then get to work and bring up your grades.

A GED is supposed to be a high school equivalency, but often, it's not viewed that way.

If you quit high school, you will be making things HARDER, not easier, on yourself.

Just buck up and do the work, and soon you will be in college....and let me tell you, college is an amazing place to be.

6. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    finish high school. GED is nice if you're OLD...but when you're young they see you as lazy.

Just finish the school, work harder if you need to.

College is so much different, I'm sure you'll be able to do it.

Plus, getting into community college isn't that hard even with bad grades. As long as you can maintain a 60 you should be able to get in....depends on the program...most you'd need is a 70...and that's NOT hard to get. You can always take easier classes.

7. wildmaven

wildmaven TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Getting a GED seems like the quick way to getting on with your life, but high school teaches you so much more than book learning. It teaches you discipline, how to deal with others, how to meet deadlines, and more. Without those skills, you will be at the back of the pack in college. You will also find yourself having to explain WHY you got a GED instead of finishing high school. No matter how wrong it sounds, there is a stigma attached to a GED, especially for younger individuals. And...do you meet the qualifications?

Minimum Age For Testing: 18 with no qualifications; however, in order to register and be tested at 16 or 17, registrants must provide a letter from their last school of attendance attesting that they have officially withdrawn from school. "Adjudicated youth" may be tested on the order of the court, even if they are still enrolled in school.

Individuals must complete the five-test battery within one year from the date of taking their first test. Examinees who complete the five-test battery within the one-year, but still have not passed, will be allowed two (2) more years to successfully complete the battery. If an examinee does not successfully complete the battery during the next two years, all scores and fees become invalid and the examinee must start the process over.

These requirements can vary by State.

Testing:

Are you prepared for that? ;)

8. chris_arnet

chris_arnet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i really wanna get on with my life now. i live in flower mound texas. i have shot everywhere there is a halfway decent photo. i cant take another second of this town. in what ways are a ged looked down upon?

9. EBphotography

EBphotography TPF Junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    GED's are frowned upon because it means you didn't finish high school, and not finishing high school is frowned upon. Thats the way it is. Suck it up, and get to work. You're in high school, it's almost over. You're way too young to be closing doors for yourself, and trust me, that's all you're doing. You should finish high school, work hard at it, and create meaningful opportunities for yourself, instead of blocking them off because you didn't feel like finishing high school.

10. Doug

Doug TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is a decision that you are going to have to make on your own. They always say hindsight is 2020. Are you going to look back 10 years from now and say to yourself I should have stayed in school?

If you drop out of school, you will be considered a drop out until you get your GED. And then you still may be looked down upon even with the GED.

When applying for a job you will be asked what high school you graduated from or circle that last grade you completed. The more education you have the better the chances of getting the job.

Are you a self motivated person? If you do drop out will you get the GED or will you put it off and let 5, 10 or 15 years go by then say it's too hard to go back and get it?

You asked in what ways are you looked down upon if you have a GED? Let me put it this way. Two people who are equally talented apply for the same job; one has a GED and the other a diploma. The one with the diploma is more likely to get the job or start out with a higher salary.

It's your decision.

11. chris_arnet

chris_arnet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    actually, i was going to get it before i quit school.

12. wildmaven

wildmaven TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Actually, legally, you cannot take the GED while still enrolled in high school.