Not open for further replies.

Lyncca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lynccaharveyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just wanted to thank the many people that have been SO helpful to me in the past year. After thinking about it for quite some time now, I think I want to go to another healthier, friendlier environment.

This place has gotten on the verge of just being outright rude and aggressive to many of the newer photographers. I have not been directly attacked except for once, but I keep witnessing it repeatedly to others.

I will probably come back at some point, but right now, I have a very bad taste in my mouth about it here, so since I use photography as a creative outlet and something I ENJOY, I want to keep it that way.

Good luck to you all.
Lyncca

You'll find rude and ignorant people wherever you go, I'm afraid. Most of them have a mental age of six.
The best advice I can give is to use the 'ignore' facility. If enough people ignore them then they will go away. The worst thing you can to is to give in to them - but it's your choice.
Good luck and safe surfing.

Yea, I know that is true enough. I just need a break I think. I have yet to use the ignore button. It seems a little like sticking your head in the ground. Just because you ignore it, doesn't mean it isn't said! LOL

So, whats the real story? :scratch:

I bet its the D300, and it is there and your just comming up with a reason why your not going to be online for a while. :mrgreen:

Sometimes a small break from something is what a person needs to be able to look at something a different way. When I get frustrated at something. I put everything down and go do something else. Sometimes its 2 minutes, sometimes weeks.

So go play with that D300 and come back later on and let us know how its working. :sexywink:

i agree with hertz...they are everywhere.

im not promoting rude behavior, however, i must say that i belong to another photo forum, and it's an absolute ass kiss party...no one EVER has anything to say about photos other than "i love it....it;s brilliant.... perfect shot"...

i find that to be totally boring, and an environment that doesnt help progression.

i think that honest crit is extremely important, and helps people either progress, or realize that it aint for them. im not saying it's a good thing to discourage, i just think that sometimes crit can be a bitter pill but it needs to be taken. i find this site to be the perfect balance of friendliness and brutal honesty that needs to be present for me.

i know nothing of why you are leaving other than what you said, so i for one am not happy to see you go, as you seemed to be an active member here during my short TPF tenure.

come on back and join us again soon. be well. :hug::

Even in rude seeming criticism there is usually some truth, especially in photography. Don't let it stop you from enjoying what you do, but strive for excellence to silence the critics. It seems like only sub-standard images get all the attention on this forum while amazing pictures get ignored or maybe receive a couple comments. It's like everyone just enjoys picking apart the work of others and can never bring themselves to acknowledge that someone else might do something great.

Thanks for the replies guys :) I actually have no problems getting critiqued. That is a big part of why I am here. Well, actually most of it. I have my friends to do the ass-kissing for me, so I come here to learn.

My problem is with the supposed pros that having nothing to say except one of a few things:
- If you take pictures for free then people expect it of everyone - so don't do that!
- If you undercharge, you are bringing down the photography community.
- How dare you raise your prices without such and such equipment, etc.
- Your equipment doesn't make you professional!

- You can't be a hobbyist if you charge anything.
- Don't call your self a pro if you aren't making your whole living at it.
- Don't use "you are a hobbyist" as an excuse (but don't dare call yourself a pro!)

Do you see a pattern here? There is absolutely no friggin' way that a new person according these people can ever get their feet into this very sacred pool.

I bust my ass and don't think I'm doing such a bad job. I can handle photo critiques, but all this soapbox, looking down your nose **** is getting old. It isn't helpful to me or anyone else.

Now, of course, would I go out and shoot a wedding? Hell no. I know I do not have the equipment (although almost) but more importantly, the skills. I will probably be looking to a pro to go assist in the near future, but it certainly won't be someone like some of the people I have witnessed in here.

See, now I bet I get a whole new arguement going in here ;)

Even in rude seeming criticism there is usually some truth, especially in photography. Don't let it stop you from enjoying what you do, but strive for excellence to silence the critics. It seems like only sub-standard images get all the attention on this forum while amazing pictures get ignored or maybe receive a couple comments. It's like everyone just enjoys picking apart the work of others and can never bring themselves to acknowledge that someone else might do something great.

You are right about that too. I have posted pics that I get just a couple of comments, and then others will get 20 that frankly just suck.

Even in rude seeming criticism there is usually some truth, especially in photography.

The truth is quite often that the person making the criticism doesn't know what they are talking about. There is a tendency to ignore it but it's a fact of life that there are way too many people around who think that merely owning a camera makes them an expert. ;)

As for negative criticism - I rarely get any (on the odd occasions that I post a pic) but I think that is mainly because they are terrified of me (with good reason) :lmao:

Most of them have a mental age of six.
Hertz was being lenient IMO.... I am more inclined to think age three.

My problem is with the supposed pros that having nothing to say except one of a few things:
- If you take pictures for free then people expect it of everyone - so don't do that!
- If you undercharge, you are bringing down the photography community.
- How dare you raise your prices without such and such equipment, etc.
- Your equipment doesn't make you professional!

- You can't be a hobbyist if you charge anything.
- Don't call your self a pro if you aren't making your whole living at it.
- Don't use "you are a hobbyist" as an excuse (but don't dare call yourself a pro!)
Mindless chatter from the three year olds.

I have a couple ways to handle my aggravations. 1)Ignore, 2)Step Away and 3)Lurk without contributing. Actually the last one is like people watching in the mall. They look like such idiots that you can't help yourself but to laugh.

Lyncca, it's been inspiring watching your progress over the last year or so (I think I once told you this), so keep it up.

I agree with the above comment about rude people being everywhere. However, there are smaller forums out there where you can still receive a good amount of friendly, constructive critique, with the signal-to-noise ratio being excellent. This is especially true about local forums, where idiots rarely hide behind geographical differences to spew the venom that makes them feel significant.

I wish you the best, and might see you again on another board in the near future ;)

Last edited:
Lyncca,

As HvR said, just use the ignore option. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it keeps things tolerable.

Reaction to photos is usually unpredictable anywhere. If it is predicatable, it isn't any fun. I post quite a few that just drop like a rock to the bottom. I don't worry about it, I just figure they don't know a thing about art ;)

Just keep posting. I'm looking forward to seeing your d300 work & thanks for sharing some of the places that you've been that I may never see in person!

C'mon Lyncca, stick around just use the ignore list a bit more on the right people... we all still love 'ya! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back