Help with camera (body) & lense choice?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by voyageaimer, Nov 28, 2017.

1. voyageaimer

voyageaimer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello all,

I wasn't sure where I should post this, as I have just discovered and registered the PhotoForum. I have been a heavy user of forums (TripAdvisor & numerous auto forums) for years, but I am relatively new to photography. I have always had a passion for it but I never tried to go real in-depth.

My first camera was the instant print Polaroid (can't think of the name) in my early year. Fast-forward and I have my using my Canon T3 with the kit lense (18-55mm) for the past 2-3 years, as well as a GoPro black edition (and of course, the infamous iPhone's). My travel obsession has made my interest in photography even greater.

Anyway, finally to the point :). I really like my camera and I think it takes very good-great pictures, but I know it is outdated and is certainly not the best out there. I was originally looking at upgrading to the T5i until I read that it utilizes the same imaging sensor? that goes way back to T2i. I'm now almost 100% set on getting the T6i, but I'm unsure which lense to get with it? I would like to keep it to $200 or less.

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Top Poster Of Month

Keep the lens you have and just buy the body! If you want to upgrade might as well go with the T6i, as the T5i will not be much of an actual upgrade sensor performance wise. If anything maybe pick up a 35mm or 50mm prime lens.

Do you have a flash. That would also be a good investment to help improve shots when it's not light enough. If you get one that works off camera that would be best. There are other brands that work with Canon that is less expensive than Canon flashes. Quite a bit less in some cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. voyageaimer

voyageaimer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    @ behasajeep - Yes, that is my intention! The problem is I would be looking to sell my (current) T3... and I think I can get more money for it if I at least include the kit lense. The issue there is that the kit 18-55 lense is my only universal lense. Including that with the sale of the T3 would leave me with my 75-300mm lense, which is obviously not a good choice for every shot.

4. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I think you could do very nicely if you pushed your budget for the lens a little bit...maybe to $300, and if you're willing to buy the body and the lens used. (I bought my camera and all but one of my lenses used...)

Tamron and Sigma both make 17-50mm F2.8 lenses that are very sharp and would be perfect for the T6i. You should be able to find one of them used for no more than $300.

5. voyageaimer

voyageaimer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Basically, I can get the T6i body for around $520...whereas Canon is selling them for a whopping $700?! Or I can get the T6i "kit" with the 18-55mm for around $560ish.

6. lance70

lance70 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would go with a prime lens, 50mm or 35mm for the price range you are looking....:1247:

7. voyageaimer

voyageaimer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So buy a body and get a prime lense, skipping the kit lense? I found a cheaper version of the Canon 50mm 1.8 for $50. Yongnuo is the brand.

8. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

I'd go with a 35mm, I find that focal length much more useful on crop sensor bodies than 50mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. lance70

lance70 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not familiar with that brand but you should be able to find a nice used Canon 50mm for a reasonable price as well..... If you can get a better deal for just the body I would say skip the kit lens and go for a prime lens, once you start shooting with a prime lens you would most likely not pick up the kit lens again.

10. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Top Poster Of Month

The Yongnuo is hit or miss in the reviews. But I noticed that some people forgot to remove a protective film from the bottom element. They would take off the protective film from the front element, but leave the back element covered. Since it's new, no idea about it's longevity either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

I'd honestly avoid the Yongnuo lenses, it just doesn't seem worth it. But you are right, it's hit and mess. Some people manage to get really good copies and others, horrible copies.

They do make nice flashes tho.

12. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Sensor tech improvements get smaller and smaller each generation.

Thus buying a new camera for the new sensor is not an update that you will really notice in the images.

• Agree Agree x 2