How would you de-frizz this girl's hair?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Chick doesn't know what conditioner is... haha. Tried to fix it before the shot, but it was a lost cause.

Now I've gotta tame it in post, but my usual techniques are gonna take forever. What would you do?

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 5.27.16 PM.jpg

I would recommend a reshoot. That's going to be really difficult and time-consuming to pull off in a way that doesn't make it look like "Lego hair".

maaaaaaybe you can work your way around with the healing brush in LR?

I find the purple hair spot more distracting then the frizz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what I've got so far, just using the liquify tool.

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 6.43.41 PM.jpg

Is the frizzy hair caused by actual hair condition, or is it a matter of the original file having been re-sized, and some kind of weird resizing artifact? I agree with limr as well; this is not a "girl"...and this is the second time within this week that you've used the word girl to refer to a grown-up,adult female; the other use of the word girl was in the wedding expo post you did recently. Maybe you missed Mayim Balik's recent Facebook video about how people ought to stop referring to grown women as "girls"?

Reshoot!!!!

I don't have that option, unfortunately.

Is the frizzy hair caused by actual hair condition, or is it a matter of the original file having been re-sized, and some kind of weird resizing artifact? I agree with limr as well; this is not a "girl"...and this is the second time within this week that you've used the word girl to refer to a grown-up,adult female; the other use of the word girl was in the wedding expo post you did recently. Maybe you missed Mayim Balik's recent Facebook video about how people ought to stop referring to grown women as "girls"?

The frizzy hair has nothing to do with file compression. That's how it was shot.

You're probably right about the "woman" thing. I don't really think about it, and don't think it's a big deal. But I guess that stems from me not even seeing myself as a "grown up" so referring to my peers as such is kind of weird.

It's always been a casual thing for me. "Guys" and "girls." But I guess it's something I should try to outgrow.

Eh, unless we’re talkig in a formal setting, “girl” refers to a female of any age.

The three females I’m currently sitting next to at work just told me they prefer to be called a girl because it makes them feel younger. I asked them their opinion in response to this. Their ages range from 25-45.

The whole world just needs to stop reading into things so much, everyone is over sensitive these days.

Reshoot!!!!

I don't have that option, unfortunately.

The frizzy hair has nothing to do with file compression. That's how it was shot.

You're probably right about the "woman" thing. I don't really think about it, and don't think it's a big deal. But I guess that stems from me not even seeing myself as a "grown up" so referring to my peers as such is kind of weird.

It's always been a casual thing for me. "Guys" and "girls." But I guess it's something I should try to outgrow.

But the male equivalent of 'girl' is not 'guy' - it's 'boy.' Even the word 'guy' is used for a person who is past childhood. So the real equivalent would be posting a picture of an adult man and asking "how would you defrizz this boy's hair?" A simple test would be, if you wouldn't use 'boy' in that case, then don't use 'girl' for a woman, either.

Last edited:
@limr, the most important is the context. If you're referring to some strangers, I agree calling them boy/girl is not a good way to go. However, if you know the person and you're among friends, it's perfectly fine. I know many people around 40-50 who often refer to themselves as boys and girls when they meet.

I agree with @Destin on this one, people are getting waaay oversensitive these days... This thread should be about dealing with hair in post-process, not one of those PC debates. Just because OP called the human female "a girl"...

Not everyone is like "oh I am an independent strong woman and you should refer to me as such you puny earthling!". Maybe she likes feeling a bit younger and OP knows her well.

@DGMPhotography , did you show her the picture yet? I'd probably ask her first and then schedule a re-shoot if she's not happy. Trying to solve things like this in post is usually not worth it and simple re-shoot would be better and faster.

In my thesaurus, the term girl or boy refers to a person who has not yet reached the age maturity, so as you age the threshold for maturity tends to rise.

But as the OP has been chastised already, on the use of the term enough, back on point. Have you tried using the "select and mask" feature in PS. I've only started using it, but I've found the refine edge (with options) to be very useful. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...EQwqsBCEAwAg&usg=AOvVaw0GiRnyveeEeAYRj69JelKO

Maybe is was Like "Hey girl! What did you do to your hair?!"

Most reactions

Back