I purchased my Canon EOS 7D, now I need lens. Help.

Lens preference

• Total voters

loveDSLR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
x

Last edited:
I would recommend the Canon 17-55 f/2.8

Tamron do a cheaper version. Half the price. I think this would give you that range you need to discover what type of photography you like and then you could get other lenses to complement whatever direction you want to go.

Do you have any interest in bugs? Butterflies - dragons - beetles - flies - etc..?

If you do I would encourage you to consider a longer focal length macro lens - the canon 100mm f2.8 might be a good option to consider since you have already looked at the idea of a 100mm lens - the tamron 90mm is also another option.
The other factor to consider about the EFS 60mm is that its crop sensor only and that many of hte areas you are looking into photographing are often shot with fullframe camera sensors. This does not mean that you have to use a fullframe camera, but it means that you might oneday move up to a 5D or 5DM2 type camera body. Thus a lens like the efs 60mm won't be following you.

However I won't push you in any direction - these areas are not my strong points so I will let other elaborate further in depth (though I think you will see a lot of fans of the 85mm)

Other than that for portrait, fashion, product and such work the 60mm should work very well from what I head (the 100mm is also a popular portrait lens).

I would recommend the Canon 17-55 f/2.8

Tamron do a cheaper version. Half the price. I think this would give you that range you need to discover what type of photography you like and then you could get other lenses to complement whatever direction you want to go.
I didn't see it in the list and thought "oops". :D

If you want a macro, I'd go with the 100mm 2.8, It's great for not scaring away things. A 60mm might be really close to the subject. Plus it's a really great lens and has a lot of good reviews. (if it's in your budget, it's about $600)

Look below at my signature ... I like what I have :)

My favorite all-around is my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and it lives on my 7D > 75% of the time.

x

Last edited:
x

Last edited:
50,55,and 60mm macro lenses are really not all that useful for many things--they force you to be really,really close to things in order to get large magnification--as close as three inches from the front of the lens. Longer macro lenses in the 90, 100, and 105mm lengths are really much more versatile.

My other choices would be the 18-135, the 55-250, and the 85mm 1.8. The 28-135 is a poor choice for a 1.6x sensor--Canon seems to be trying to fob those off on USA buyers, but not in Japan or Europe.

Although it is not a top-quality lens, if you can only buy *one* lens to get started, I guess it would have to be the 18-135.

Hey, I have a 7D too..

I am not help on a lens. I have no idea how to use the camera. But I like the one that is on it.. 28-135 MM- That being said. I am a girl (woman) and I find hand getting tired with this lens. I have a few others-- but this is the main one I use.

x

Last edited:
i have an L series 20-35mm f/2.8 I am selling, make you a good deal, its like new

I had a similar post to yours about a month ago. I switched over from the Sony platform to a 7D, and I was lost with Canon lenses.

The most useful tips people gave me that i kept in mind were, if you're thinking of possibly upgrading to a full frame sensor some time in the future, buy lenses that will be compatible. So try to stay away from the EF-S stuff.

Also. stick to quality glass to make the most out of the 7D's pixel density. the lower end lenses will not do the 7D justice. If you can't afford L glass, you can pick some up used for some great savings. Craig's list around me always has some killer deals. Just make sure you bring your body to check for dust, scratches, motor issues, etc. If you're not sure what you're looking for, most camera stores offer used lenses that they've thoroughly checked out.

I ultimately went with a 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm 1.4, the kit lens 18-135mm only because it was so cheap. It just sits in my bag though. In the spring I'll pick up a 70-200 f/2.8L and a 100mm f/2.8 macro. Happy with all choices.

You have bought a quality body and don't know what you need, you have a very small budget for lenses but had a big budget for body, if you had a Farrari would you put remound tyres on it ?

Find a used EF-S 10-22mm IS USM or get the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back