I'm so proud!! I finally got yelled at!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by ShutteredEye, Apr 21, 2005.

1. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I ran up to the Botanic Gardens in Ft Worth this evening to shoot a roll since school has kept me from shooting for awhile now. (Will have the results of this evening's shoot tomorrow, after I get them developed.)

I actually was accosted by the security guard!!!

"Who do you work for?" he demanded of me.

Uhh.....

"Do you have a permit?"

Uhhh.....

Took me awhile to convince him I was actually an amateur. I don't think he believed me. Thought he was going to frisk me!

Anyway, I was proud. I guess I look vaguely like a pro....

2. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yaaaay! Congrats! (I guess! :lol: ) Guess I don't look like a pro...I haven't been yelled at yet! :)

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Hey now... We have all been hounded by the cops. I never considered it anything to be proud of. Personally; in this time of political unrest I feel that we have to make our intentions clear as photographers.

4. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I hadn't been up until now. I was actually being sarcastic, because I didn't really enjoy the experience because the guy was a real jerk to me. He never did believe me, he just backed off when I asked for his name, badge number, and supervisor's name.

And I was in the middle of a city park. Taking pictures of flowers. By myself. Not really sure how unclear my intentions could have been....

5. photong

photong Typo Queen

Photos NOT OK to edit
    " he just backed off when I asked for his name, badge number, and supervisor's name." ill have to use that one.

6. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A permit?? Wow, I can't imagine even someone shooting "professionally" would need a permit in a public spot. Good for you for standing up for your rights and asking for his information.

7. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

doesnt matter. you should come to dc, this will occur EVERYWHERE you go.

it will depend where you live as to how often you get questioned. it does become a bit irritating at times because you know you're intentions; but they don't, and since 9/11 they look at us all differently and have policies to enforce; doing their job. they can regulate anything on their property, but what they like to say a lot is " you can't take a picture of this building or whatever". not true - you can photograph any building/garden/whatever you want from a public place. what may happen, if you get the "wrong" guard, is carried inside, questioned, photographed, your camera and contents reviewed by several guards, so on and so on. then after an hour or so you'll wish you never took the damn pic. they win cause next time you'll pass it up. don't - just know your limitations/rights.

what a world we live in today. today you need to do a bit of research and find out what's up in your town or where you'll be visiting and go from there. interpretations will vary, but you'll be armed with some good information.

being as polite and cooperative as im sure you were is the key. you'll get a few more shots, good conversation and then you're on your way without delay. works for me.

8. Canon Fan

Canon Fan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Heh! Congrats? Actually I had a similar circumstance yesterday with a local cop while taking a photo of a car with a tree that had fallen on it (pictured elsewhere on the forum) he said "That car is private property parked ON private property" I then reminded him that I was standing on a public sidewalk with a telephoto lense. Whether it was right or wrong he did leave me alone after that ;)

9. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know we've had this discution here before on the forum about legality of taking photos. And I just found out that it's illegal for me, or anyone in France, to take a photo of someone in public on public property whatever, and to then broadcast it to the public, like on this forum without their permission.
    It's some stupid privacy act they have here that I think is seriously ridiculous. You see it all the time on TV here, everyone has their faces blurred out because the TV stations couldn't be bother walking around to everyone in the street with a bit of paper to sign.

10. Xmetal

Xmetal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So what if they shouted at you???

SHOUT BACK!!! :lol: :lol:

11. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    wow congrats!!! a few days ago I was yelled at too :) but by a bodyguard of our previous prime minister so I didn't want to make an argument with that HUGE guy :D

12. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Nothing is ever easy. Maybe it comes down to the photos? let's see said shots in question (considering they have been cleared by the proper authorities).