Is my d600 dead?

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a nikon d600 used, it was well used and priced as such but since it arrived I have not been able to get it to work... When I first turned it on it would just flash low battery and nothing, not any of the buttons at all would do anything. I don't have a working charger at the moment so it could simply be that the battery is low, but a friend told me nikon cameras still dont behave like this on a low/dead battery. Is this true?

I've also noticed there is an E shown when the power is off, which is also shown on the photo given on auction. Does anyone know what this E stands for because my only guess is Error....

Does anyone have any suggestion for me? Is the camera actually faulty or does it just need a working charger to charge the battery and good to go?

Here is a photo of the E, pretty much just an E though...
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/AzUAAOSwNSxVOQ96/$_57.JPG

do you have a card in it? I think the "E" is in the spot where it shows how many pictures you have left.
not sure exactly what it would do with a low battery, but I do remember my cameras not working when the battery got too low...I just dont remember to what degree they stopped working. I would go buy a charger NOW and get a charged battery in there to find out. if you bought it on ebay you can return it for a refund if it was listed in working condition, even if the seller says no refunds.

Is there a card in the camera? If so, is it full?

Looks like it just needs a memory card. That's the typical display for when one isn't in the body.

E is no card (Empty). I guess a really low battery could keep the E on with nothing else lighting up when turing the camera on.
I think I have always had a charged battery and card on hand for the used cameras I have bought.

Ok well I just put a card in and the E changed to 85. About the battery issue, basically right now it is turned on, shows a bunch of stuff like iso and wb and the battery has a tiny piece of black bar, when I press any button at all the iso-auto and battery logo flash, the only thing that is different is if i press the shutter they flash and the "85" changes to "r09". I should have had a new charger delivered on monday but am still waiting as DHL are on strike where I live :(

crazy idea: charge the battery.

If the battery charger ever shows up I will... But if the camera is already dead I will tell DHL to return the charger to sender and return the dead camera body. I dont want to pay 70USD for a charger I don't even need.

Hey unplug your monitor from the wall.

do you do it?

do it.

seriously, before you read any more.

ok...

.... your monitor isn't broken.

If the battery charger ever shows up I will... But if the camera is already dead I will tell DHL to return the charger to sender and return the dead camera body. I dont want to pay 70USD for a charger I don't even need.
I guess the initial mistake was buying the camera without a charger. You can of course go to your nearest shop and 'borrow' a charged battery and check 'in shop' if the camera is working.

You need the charger. The indicator as you describe it is showing that there is hardly any charge left in the battery - probably just enough to power the LCD display.and no more.

I think that R09 shows the number of shots that the buffer will hold for any particular setting, thus if you shoot in a continuous burst you can take 9 shots and then the camera will stop until at least some of the data in the buffer is downloaded to the card.

Sooner or later the battery will be totally dead if it isn't already.
And Nikon did not include the hand crank power unit on any models.

used chargers by Nikon or 3rd party are available all over the place for cheap. Just make sure DHL isn't handling the shipping.

It'll simply be that the battery needs charging!

When it's so low it limits what it can do. It won't take a pic that's for sure.

Seriously, grab a charger and all will (/should) be fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back