Is there a trick to manual focusing?

Manual focusing with a Dslr is for the most part, a waste of time with the original focusing screen. If you can get your hands on an F2 (or 3, 4, 5) and mount your lens and try focusing, you'll find that the images "snap" into focus. The newer focusing screens for autofocus cameras are designed to be as bright as possible, at the expense of visual focusing accuracy. Usually not a problem with AF, as you only use the viewfinder for composition. Size isn't neccesarily the issue, years ago I shot with Olympus Pen-F cameras, they're half frame 35mm and the viewfinder is probably as big as a dslr's, never seemed to bother me.

erie

Sounds like either you need to adjust the Dipoter (adjusts the viewfinder to your sight) or you need some practice. The best way I found is to go to a sporting even of some kind and practice on the people, now with digital, its nice because you can take as many pictures as you want...but with film just mess with the focus.

I did this for about 4 hours total and its now alsmost second nature with the lenses I have.

I also have a fully manual camera....so that might make a difference.

Of course it's the case, the point is depth of field give you a margin of error. If your focusing slightly off @ f22 it'll still be in focus but probably out of focus @ f1.4

I think you're misunderstanding me. If you have an f/1.4 lens, everything to see through the viewfinder when focusing (on a relatively modern camera) will be seen at f/1.4, even if you have set f/22. The aperture will only stop down to f/22 when you release the shutter.

Unless you mean that stopping down gives you a margin of error is your focus is slightly out when you release the shutter?

im surprised no one thought of this earlier. this is THE best way to manually focus
go to live view, move the focus area (rectangle) to the spot where u want to focus
zoom in to the max using the LCD zoom button (im not talking about the zoom in your lens)
then manually focus and take the shot.
its easier to focus this way since the object becomes large on the screen and will probably help reduce eye strain as well
this is another reason to buy cameras with good lcd resolution.
remember, blurred image is not always due to bad focusing. it could be due to camera shake. if u dont have steady hands, or are new to photography, use a tripod for shots slower than 1/60s

im surprised no one thought of this earlier. this is THE best way to manually focus
go to live view, move the focus area (rectangle) to the spot where u want to focus
zoom in to the max using the LCD zoom button (im not talking about the zoom in your lens)
its easier to focus this way since the object becomes large on the screen and will probably help reduce eye strain as well
remember, blurred image is not always due to bad focusing. it could be due to camera shake. if u dont have steady hands, or are new to photography, use a tripod for shots slower than 1/60s

Not all cameras have live view. The newer ones do, starting in 2008 or so. And using a tripod for shooting at 1/60s @ 18mm is not necessary. 1/60s is fast enough to eliminate camera shake depending on your focal length/crop factor.

Live view focusing is great at being able to let you magnify the image and really fine tune the focus - its great for that if you're on a tripod and shooting at a static or fairly static scene.
Throw a moving subject or hand holding into the mix and suddenly its not so good - remember whilst you're fine tuning the focus the subject might move, you also might well have your own motion to consider which might throw the focus and you've also got the problem that you can either view at 10* for focusing or you can view the whole frame for composition - you can't do both. Handholding this is a problem since without clear reference points you're hand might well slip the framing of the subject.

It is another method and just as valid as others, but it needs to be used within reason and taking into considerations its weaknesses which make it unsuitable/impossible in some cases.

I'll add that some cameras do much better than others with regard to focusing screens. My D2x is as easy to manual focus accurately as a film slr.

Not all cameras have live view. The newer ones do, starting in 2008 or so. And using a tripod for shooting at 1/60s @ 18mm is not necessary. 1/60s is fast enough to eliminate camera shake depending on your focal length/crop factor.

Plus, 2 years ago when this thread was started, most cameras did not have Live View. :lmao:

Plus, 2 years ago when this thread was started, most cameras did not have Live View. :lmao:

Darn it! :(
I normally check and don't get caught by these resurrections...........

Well being as this thread started 2 years ago the originaly creator should have a better handle on manual focus. I can't say I have had much of a problem with it as I grew up doing it, started in 1969 and still maunal focus at times, some sports it's just easier than using the autofocus. I learned to manual focus sitting on the side of the road focusing on licence plates of moving cars, it is a great way to learn. It is easier using a 200mm or longer lens. Being able to manually focus is a huge skill lost on those that have always used autofocus, for the most part being able to do it isn't that important anymore. With moving objects it is something that requires a lot of practice.

Precisely what I was thinking.

Well being as this thread started 2 years ago the originaly creator should have a better handle on manual focus. I can't say I have had much of a problem with it as I grew up doing it, started in 1969 and still maunal focus at times, some sports it's just easier than using the autofocus. I learned to manual focus sitting on the side of the road focusing on licence plates of moving cars, it is a great way to learn. It is easier using a 200mm or longer lens. Being able to manually focus is a huge skill lost on those that have always used autofocus, for the most part being able to do it isn't that important anymore. With moving objects it is something that requires a lot of practice.

Or even *gasp* prefocusing when shooting sports, the horror of it all...:)

I'm right there with you, having shot since '74, I'm somewhat jaded as well. Still can't find the AF-ON button on my Sinar P, or my RB for that matter....

But, 2 years late not withstanding, a CPU lens will still send information to the D40 so it can light the in-focus indicator in the D40 viewfinder when focus has been achieved, by manually adjusting the lens focus ring, at whichever of the 3 focus points the photographer chose.

I know I'm 2 years late but what the hell... someone might be reading and still struggling with manual focus.

The way I learnt was to lay out a tape measure on a table in front of me, pick a number to focus on and try to get it right in focus.
Once you've got one dead on, change to a different number.

Rinse and repeat until you know what you're looking for to hit the sweet spot focus wise.

Perhaps not to everyone's taste but it worked pretty well for me

Well all I know is that I manually focus my 400 2.8FD on a 1Dmk without any problems or camera help, no lights, no bells. Just my eye. I realze that manually focusing isn't for everyone, it's just nice to have the ability to use it when I need it. Helps me stay connected without all the auto help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back