Julie in Bed!

chammer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I accidentally won an eBay auction for a 5D, and it arrived this evening. I figured what better way to test it than to do a quick photo shoot with Julie!

julie-bed-1.jpg

julie-bed-2.jpg

julie-bed-3.jpg

julie-bed-4.jpg

julie-bed-5.jpg

My only disappointment is that due to space constraints I had to shoot with the cheap 50mm 1.8 instead of one of my better lenses, but I'm still quite pleased. The detail over the 50D is just astounding.

I gave it a try outdoors at ISO3200 with both the 100L and 70-200L and got some decent results for being quick test snapshots. At 3200 it has only a little less noise than my 50D straight out of the camera, however, it cleans up with virtually no trace of noise very, very easily. The 50D cleans up to a usable state, but requires much more work and the banding at the top of my frames still causes me issue.

I'm going to test it a bit more tomorrow with some action shots (shooting another dog event) to figure out how it's going to track with Ai Servo, but I think for the indoor dog show I have on the 28th-31st it's looking to be very promising thus far!

I think the hardest part is trying to figure out which lens/camera combo I'd want to use. Since focal length won't be an issue I'm thinking the 17-50 on the 50D and the 70-200 on the 5D makes the most sense at this time.

Cheap 50mm 1.8? lol. I've heard that is one of the favorite lenses of the Canon Crew. The 'Nifty Fifty'!

Overall, I love the shots, and great subject :) I was kinda thinking something else was going to be in this thread by the title lol.

This is a mk1 I assume? You seem to be in a similar position to me, I have a 40d and have been hovering around buying a 5d for some time, though I'm also wondering about lens options. I'll be interested to hear your opinions on the 5d over the 50d after a bit more use.

Oooh! Congrats on the 5D. You're gonna love it. LOVE IT!

Wow, what a great model!

Nice shots, just use some more fill to emphasize the the eye that is on the other side of where your key light is located.

Cheap 50mm 1.8? lol. I've heard that is one of the favorite lenses of the Canon Crew. The 'Nifty Fifty'!

Overall, I love the shots, and great subject :) I was kinda thinking something else was going to be in this thread by the title lol.

Yea, the title was on purpose. :p

The nifty fifty isn't bad at all, especially considering its price/performance, but especially now that I have the 100 2.8L...well, there's just no comparison.

This is a mk1 I assume? You seem to be in a similar position to me, I have a 40d and have been hovering around buying a 5d for some time, though I'm also wondering about lens options. I'll be interested to hear your opinions on the 5d over the 50d after a bit more use.

Yep! 5D "Classic". It was recommended to me based on a question I had posted on the equipment news & reviews section based upon some needs I had. Basically I need to freeze action at indoor events, and 1600 just wasn't cutting it. I'd maybe get 1/200th if I as lucky and that venue had "good" lighting. 1/200th isn't always enough I found so it was obvious that 1 extra stop was going to be needed.

The 50D does ISO 1600 very nicely I found with minimal post cleanup, but with 3200 (as stated above) has some banding at the top of my frames. My normal noise cleanup wasn't fixing it so it was either get a camera that could do it, or figure out how to clean it up. I chose the former. :mrgreen:

I'll definitely let you know how it goes though!

Oooh! Congrats on the 5D. You're gonna love it. LOVE IT!

Yea, too bad I've already had thoughts about how the 5D2 is, and putting both it and the 50D up for sale to fund a 5D2. Oops. :)

Wow, what a great model!

Nice shots, just use some more fill to emphasize the the eye that is on the other side of where your key light is located.

She is an awesome model I just wish she would stand still a bit more.

Part of the problem with the lighting was due to being in a smaller area to where I really couldn't get the lights where I wanted to, and the other reason was her not standing still so while the lights started off at directly behind her for that nice backlit effect, and directly at camera right at 5 o'clock for the key...it quickly went back and forth between that and having that back light become a side light and the key at 7 o'clock. :(

It's much easier when I put her on a table and there really isn't but one way she can look, but this type of setup is something I've been wanting to try and I figured testing out a camera is as good as time as any! :)

Quote from chammer: " I accidentally won an eBay auction for a 5D"

LOL!! Congratulations on the 5D Classic!! I love the 4th shot of Julie...that one's my favorite. I remember the post where you and some of us were hashing out the lenses and focal length situation and how a full frame body would leverage your 50,your 70-200,and your 100-L Macro. I think your own personal experience about the image quality differences between 12.8MP on FF versus 15Mp on 1.6x will continue to impress you. I'm still very happy with the 5D's image quality...it's a really good sensor design, in a nice body size! Good luck on the upcoming 2010 dog show season!! Knock 'em dead!

Derrel: LOL Yea, if you also recall I was getting frustrated because the auctions kept ending $5-$10 over what I allotted myself for my budget. I got tired of losing because I never bid. I low balled a bid on this particular example, one which was not as good as other examples but still VERY nice, and only two more bids came in before closing...neither of which besting my top bid.

So here I am, with a 5D I never expected to win, at a price I certainly can't complain about (it was under $1k!). I got a battery grip on the way, and it makes me happy that all this happens on a Friday. Two full days of play time and learning this cameras quirks! :thumbup:

Congrats on the new purchase! I really like the first one , Julie's expression cracks me up for some reason. She is like really do I have to do another phot shoot! :thumbup:

OMG I love these shots!! Of course it probably has something to do with the subject :)

beautiful shots! although, the bedslats and their shadows are distracting in number 4

I low balled a bid on this particular example, one which was not as good as other examples but still VERY nice, and only two more bids came in before closing...neither of which besting my top bid.

So here I am, with a 5D I never expected to win, at a price I certainly can't complain about (it was under $1k!). I got a battery grip on the way, and it makes me happy that all this happens on a Friday. Two full days of play time and learning this cameras quirks! :thumbup:

Wow, you lucked out my friend, congrats on the purchase and some cute shots of the pup! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back