Leaked Sony RX1 Fits a DSLR in Your Pocket (rumor)

I think this is the only lens review which spends this much attention to the lenscap.

Derrel, did you forget to take your Aricept?

---

Are Mexican-made BMW's not really BMW's because they're made by a bunch of beaners? Are Zeiss lenses not really Zeiss because they're made by a bunch of chinks? I can't help but feel that these arguments of inferior Asian-made Zeiss glass is inherently racist.

Racist? WTF is your problem? Your comments are unacceptable to me.

Hell, look at the quality of a Canon or a Nikon lens cap...GOOD...then look at what "Zeiss" is giving the customer as protection for an $1800 "Zeiss" wide-angle prime lens....a POS plastic cap that squeaks, and is made to simply unacceptable standards. Utter crap. Nikon, Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, Canon, Pentax, etc,etc.. all make good quality lens caps...the point is a "luxury" lens like the ENTIRE Zeiss ZF series is fitted with, and I will state it again, the cheapest, CRAPPIEST, most ill-made lens caps I have ever seen in my life, from any maker. Ever. See, that's the "snow job" I am trying to point out here. There's nothing "racist" about $hi+-quality luxury-priced products. I'm pointing out that the "Zeiss" name is nothing any more...it's a name only...the lens production is farmed out to whoever can do it at the best price....it's like Vivitar Series 1, made by 15 different lens makers!! There never was any "Vivitar" company--it's not a company, like Nikon, or Canon, but merely a "brand name."

My point is more the "It wasn't made in Germany" aspect. I've had Zeiss CY lenses made in Japan, they were plenty well built, just as well built, if not better, than my german-built 135mm Sonnar - though I don't really remember the lens cap specifically; though maybe I should, being a true measure of optical and mechanical quality aparently.

But, it doesn't matter the color of skin, if an Asian factory can meet Zeiss specification, then it's a Zeiss. If the is a quality problem with the Zeiss brand, that's a problem with Zeiss, not the nationality of whomever assembled the lens.

Fortunately not everyone cares about the name on a camera more than they care about the performance of it, and not everyone who cares about the name (or the company) looks down on Sony. Sony has a long history of class-leading innovation, though perhaps it is more obvious at the relatively high end.

Now that more details are available about the RX1, it is obvious that it owes much more to the RX100 than to the NEX line. The RX100 is an outstanding camera with some groundbreaking usability and image quality features for both stills and video. It puts all its rivals, including those from Canon and Nikon, in the shade.

For 2.8k? Hahahahahahahahaha

no

Just like almost every other Sony Product out there. R&D costs need to be paid. But before they get a chance the product tanks... Betamax, MemoryStick, Minidisc, ATRAC, BluRay... Wait, they finaly had a hit with Bluray. My bad! Well one out of six aint too bad!

NO.. they FORCED Blu-Ray on us by making deals with the studios that they work with (threatening the studios, basically). HD-DVD was a superior format... and the consumer loses again, stuck with SONY crap that requires constant firmware updates on all non-Sony Blu-Ray players, that are even then flaky (even the really high end ones!)

Last edited:
I think this is the only lens review which spends this much attention to the lenscap.

Derrel, did you forget to take your Aricept?

---

Are Mexican-made BMW's not really BMW's because they're made by a bunch of beaners? Are Zeiss lenses not really Zeiss because they're made by a bunch of chinks? I can't help but feel that these arguments of inferior Asian-made Zeiss glass is inherently racist.

Bro.. you have to be KIDDING! Cosina is well known for making inferior products.... and nowhere did Derrel make a any racist references.... YOU DID! Beaners and Chinks.. what's up with that! Rude! It has also been shown that the SONY Zeiss lenses do NOT match up to the actual German made lenses! I think Derrel's point was that if they can't even build a decent lens cap... how good can the lenses be?

Fortunately not everyone cares about the name on a camera more than they care about the performance of it, and not everyone who cares about the name (or the company) looks down on Sony. Sony has a long history of class-leading innovation, though perhaps it is more obvious at the relatively high end.

Now that more details are available about the RX1, it is obvious that it owes much more to the RX100 than to the NEX line. The RX100 is an outstanding camera with some groundbreaking usability and image quality features for both stills and video. It puts all its rivals, including those from Canon and Nikon, in the shade.

Helen.. I respect your knowledge very much.

I assume you are also aware of the many bad products, bad decisions, extremely proprietary nonsense, customer ripoffs, changing products after they are released to limit customer use (PS3 for instance), failed promises about upgrades, malware they put on thier CD's and DVDs as Copy Protection, Using their "clout" to promote their products in a very monopolistic way, etc, etc, etc?

Helen, given that the A99 is priced the same(actually a bit cheaper) than the RX1, and that it's considerably smaller and lighter than its competitions and has a much wider range of focal length options, are the "pros" still going to see value in the RX1?

I am curious what exactly is the "pro" usage that you are referring to. Photo journalism?

:popcorn:oooo this is getting good.

551953_390269684372891_509374978_n.jpg

Helen.. I respect your knowledge very much.

I assume you are also aware of the many bad products, bad decisions, extremely proprietary nonsense, customer ripoffs, changing products after they are released to limit customer use (PS3 for instance), failed promises about upgrades, malware they put on thier CD's and DVDs as Copy Protection, Using their "clout" to promote their products in a very monopolistic way, etc, etc, etc?

See. This is EXACTLY my point. You can infer all this racist crap, like how Asian-made Zeiss isn't as good as German made Zeiss without any real reason aside from the stereotype that Germans make good lenses, while Asians (aside from the Big Two) don't.

But instead of blaming Zeiss for going lax on standards and specifications of their lens caps, people like to blame the manufacturer - and always bring up the fact that these "inferior Asian lenses" are made somewhere other than Germany. I can guarantee you that it's not Yashica, Cosina or Kyocera that's cutting the corners - it's Zeiss; and if Zeiss wanted to control the quality of the brand, Yashica, Cosina or Kyocera, would be plenty capable of producing the quality which we normally associate with Zeiss. Whether these manufacturers are located in Europe or Asia is entirely irrelevant.

Personally, I think it's racist to conclude that a nationality or race is inherently less capable than any other by virtue of race or nationality alone. Unfortunately, when we think of racism we think of slurs and slogans, not the beliefs which are commonly held as truth.

Oh. And I want to make it absolutely clear I don't think anyone here is "a racist". But I do have a real problem with this mentality that Zeiss isn't a "real Zeiss" unless it's made in Germany.

I am totally new to photography and this forum but the idea is great, the price tag is high and the idea of having a fixed lens ruins the whole thing. I don't really see who would buy this camera? And what kind of audience it appeals too? Just my opinion- you can get a much better camera for under that price (I believe), and who cares if it's not small enough. If a professional photographer showed up to my wedding with that camera, I'd be like wtf? :lol:

I often find that those that try and put a racist spin on something that was otherwise completely nonracial are generally racists themselves without realizing it.

Most reactions

Back