Lightroom? How does it help your workflow?

BuZzZeRkEr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can anyone sell me on Adobe lightroom? Is it worth getting? What are the advantages over CS3?

One time, I did post production on 130 pictures in 5 minutes.

Can anyone sell me on Adobe lightroom? Is it worth getting? What are the advantages over CS3?

I guess I'm confused about Lightroom. Does it replace CS3 or is it an adjunct?

It doesn't do image editing to the extent that Photoshop does. So if you want to heavily edit images, with layers etc., then it will certainly not replace Photoshop.

What it does do, is help you make smaller adjustments to a large number of files, rather quickly. You can apply the adjustments globally or to any number of selected images. Sure, you can run a batch in Photoshop, but this is easier.

Also, Lightroom is a non-destructive workflow. When you 'edit' the images, the program doesn't change the images but only records the changes. This way, you can do anything to the image, again and again, without actually affecting the integrity of the original file. Lightroom only applies the changes when you output the image.

It really makes editing RAW files, a breeze.

It doesn't do image editing to the extent that Photoshop does. So if you want to heavily edit images, with layers etc., then it will certainly not replace Photoshop.

What it does do, is help you make smaller adjustments to a large number of files, rather quickly. You can apply the adjustments globally or to any number of selected images. Sure, you can run a batch in Photoshop, but this is easier.

Also, Lightroom is a non-destructive workflow. When you 'edit' the images, the program doesn't change the images but only records the changes. This way, you can do anything to the image, again and again, without actually affecting the integrity of the original file. Lightroom only applies the changes when you output the image.

It really makes editing RAW files, a breeze.

Aha. That makes sense. I'm going to have a teaching appointment in a week -- then I can get Lightroom at the educator's rate for $99 and plan on doing so.

It also acts as a catalogue to store and organise all your images. For this alone, to me, it's worth its weight in gold.

It also acts as a catalogue to store and organise all your images. For this alone, to me, it's worth its weight in gold.

I need this!

I just spent the last 3 hours processing 400 RAW files (half way through saturdays wedding) photoshop wouldn't even have opened them in that time, once I've got all the WB and exposure settings and the crops correct, it's either a batch through PS or LR to get the contrast and saturation etc that I want - there will be some that need a little more in PS - like the huge cobweb that attached itself to the grooms trouser leg as he came out of the church, but generally, thats it!

Worth it's weight in gold (which isn't much really as it's software and doesn't weigh very much) ;)

I just spent the last 3 hours processing 400 RAW files (half way through saturdays wedding) photoshop wouldn't even have opened them in that time, once I've got all the WB and exposure settings and the crops correct, it's either a batch through PS or LR to get the contrast and saturation etc that I want - there will be some that need a little more in PS - like the huge cobweb that attached itself to the grooms trouser leg as he came out of the church, but generally, thats it!

Worth it's weight in gold (which isn't much really as it's software and doesn't weigh very much) ;)

And Bridge/Camera RAW won't do that for you?

While it wont replace photoshop for heavier retouching, the v 2.0 of Lightroom does lessen the use of Photoshop quite a bit with localized adjustments. Now if they could just get that feature a bit faster :D

Also it's highly extendable for those of us so inclinded to jump into SDK's. Currently im playing with making my own web-gallery templates. Much fun =)

OK SOLD! So whats the learning curve like? I've been using photoshop for years and years, but know nothing about lightroom. I think I'm going to be completely lost.

Most reactions

Back