Manual Shooting Issues

The dog picture was okay-ish...

I would like to add a couple more, these two are going to be the one's I wanted to properly capture today but had difficulty obtaining the result I wanted:

Dropbox - DSC_0213.nef
Dropbox - DSC_0245.nef

OK -- got em. I'm going to change computers -- take a few minutes and since we started let's do the barn and then I'll look at these.

Joe

OK -- back and here's a basically normal process on the barn.

barn.jpg

I didn't crop it -- just made basic tone and color adjustments. I used LR since that's what you're using and if you like I can step you through what I did.

Your raw file is as I said excellent and this degree of processing is pretty straight forward -- maybe a little heavy handed with the sky.

Joe

P.S. And here's that photo again with an inset histogram.

barn2.jpg

View attachment 144037

I didn't crop it -- just made basic tone and color adjustments. I used LR since that's what you're using and if you like I can step you through what I did.

Your raw file is as I said excellent and this degree of processing is pretty straight forward -- maybe a little heavy handed with the sky.

Joe

View attachment 144040

Wow, impressive.
I'll tell you, when I look at these original pictures I took, I do not consider them so.

Maybe more particularly the photo I had shown you of the Tower above the river.
The metal of that structure doesn't seem right at all...

Perhaps I'm a tough critic on myself?
I envision what it is I'm trying to capture--the reason I pulled my car over at the barn to take a picture was because I thought of the tones of redness in the field matching the barn. I felt maybe I'd even exaggerate those tones to come close to matching up the barn and that's what would make the photo special.

Certainly, if you are willing to tell me how you had accomplished that I would be more than grateful to hear it! :)

Looked at the second set of raw files and they are both just fine. The one with the tower could tolerate a smidge more exposure - 1/3 stop, which is pretty meaningless and the stream with the bridge in the background is textbook nailed for the exposure.

Joe

View attachment 144037

Joe

View attachment 144040

Wow, impressive.
I'll tell you, when I look at these original pictures I took, I do not consider them so.

Maybe more particularly the photo I had shown you of the Tower about the river.
The metal of that structure doesn't seem right at all...

You're looking at the JPEGs created by the camera. They are not a good indication of the potential in your raw files.

Now, the barn photo is by the way backlit. You had a hazy blue sky in that photo and the sun is entirely behind a cloud. That makes the sky a functional backlight. It's not extreme backlighting but it's enough to send the camera JPEG engine into fits. But your raw file recorded ample information and most importantly it does not clip the highlights in the scene. You recorded data all the way through from the sky to detail inside the barn door. Once you have the data it's yours to do whatever you want with it.

Back again soon.

Joe

Perhaps I'm a tough critic on myself?
I envision what it is I'm trying to capture--the reason I pulled over at the barn was because I thought of the tones of redness in the field matching the barn. I felt maybe I'd even exaggerate those tones to come close to matching up the barn and that's what would make the photo special.

Certainly, if you are willing to tell me how you had accomplished that I would be more than grateful to hear it! :)

A FINE job on the barn photo from Ysarex! I peeked at the .NEF and knew he'd do it justice.

I envision what it is I'm trying to capture--the reason I pulled my car over at the barn to take a picture was because I thought of the tones of redness in the field matching the barn. I felt maybe I'd even exaggerate those tones to come close to matching up the barn and that's what would make the photo special.

So I read that and went back to LR and just made a few changes:

barn.jpg

That's not realistic and I leaned on it for effect. My tendency with a photo leans toward realism, but nothing says you can't do the above. If you saw that version first would you know or suspect it was manipulated?

Here's what's going to happen: as you learn to process images and your skill increases you'll take that back with you when you shoot and you'll start to see it all in a seamless piece. You've started already since you thought you could do this with the barn. Now hang on and I'll take a look at the tower photo.

Joe

View attachment 144041

That's not realistic and I leaned on it for effect. My tendency with a photo leans toward realism, but nothing says you can't do the above. If you saw that version first would you know or suspect it was manipulated?

Here's what's going to happen: as you learn to process images and your skill increases you'll take that back with you when you shoot and you'll start to see it all in a seamless piece. You've started already since you thought you could do this with the barn. Now hang on and I'll take a look at the tower photo.

Joe

Ah yes, you are more on the pure photography side.

No, I would definitely feel the enhancement of that image for sure looking at it.
I think the direction I'm leaning to is actually of both good photography paired with digital imaging.
I like the concept of exaggerating and otherwise enhancing my photos to the image that I visualize. I tend towards darker and moody photos, perhaps I would be entering the realm of being considered an aspiring photographer/digital artist...

I tend to be given crap about posting my Instagram link, it's merely because this is my portfolio of images to give you a better idea of what I do...
Take a look if you'd like, it'll give you a better idea of the kind of art I've been producing (post-process on all of these are VSCO though not LR yet)
Chris Du-maw (@thehalifaxchris) • Instagram photos and videos

Last edited:

View attachment 144041

Joe

Ah yes, you are more on the pure photography side.

No, I would definitely feel the enhancement of that image for sure looking at it.
I think the direction I'm leaning to is actually of both good photography paired with digital imaging.
I like the concept of exaggerating and otherwise enhancing my photos to the image that I visualize. I tend towards darker and moody photos, perhaps I would be entering the realm of being considered an aspiring photographer/digital artist...

Before I retired I had a secretary (more like office manager) -- she worked down the hall. And every so often I go down the office with a photo print to tack up on the board. Always start by handing it to Rose first for approval and she never failed to look at the photo and then before passing judgement ask questioningly, "Photoshop?" It mattered to her. In other words was she being fooled. A lot of time has passed and the culture has changed, but there's still this hanging on sense embedded in the culture that a photo captures what we saw. This is what I tell my students: Do whatever you can get away with such that it's not apparent that you did it, but if you're going to get caught then make it obvious and put your hand on it solidly.

Here's your tower image processed with some extra punch.

tower.jpg

Joe

Now let's walk through the barn image. Open that photo in LR and get to the Develop module. Always start with the Lens Corrections tab and check the box Enable Profile Corrections. You made also need to check the box for CA, I did for you barn. Then head back to the Basics tab.

Say hey when you got that far.

Joe

Now let's walk through the barn image. Open that photo in LR and get to the Develop module. Always start with the Lens Corrections tab and check the box Enable Profile Corrections. You made also need to check the box for CA, I did for you barn. Then head back to the Basics tab.

Say hey when you got that far.

Joe

Okay, I'm there

Next step is WB. You had the camera set to auto WB and that means your color in the photo is off. Ideally you want to start shooting a reference target (talk later) but for now let's use the roof of the barn. Go to the Basics tab and click on the eyedropper. In the image click on the roof of the barn and the color will change. I got temp = 5900 and tint = 19.

Next step go ahead and click auto and let Adobe take a crack at it -- we'll fix it from there.

Adobe always raises the exposure value too high. I reset it to .2

Next white and black clipping points -- the white and black sliders. Always do this next and keep coming back to it. You start with white and black clipping points and you end checking them last step.

Hold down the alt/option key and grab the white slider. The screen will turn mostly black. Move the slider to find the brightest part of the image. It will show out of the black. Adjust the slider until it disappears. In other words move the slide just to the point where the entire image turns black.

Joe

Do that and I'll start typing the next step.

Next step is WB. You had the camera set to auto WB and that means your color in the photo is off. Ideally you want to start shooting a reference target (talk later) but for now let's use the roof of the barn. Go to the Basics tab and click on the eyedropper. In the image click on the roof of the barn and the color will change. I got temp = 5900 and tint = 19.

Next step go ahead and click auto and let Adobe take a crack at it -- we'll fix it from there.

Adobe always raises the exposure value too high. I reset it to .2

Next white and black clipping points -- the white and black sliders. Always do this next and keep coming back to it. You start with white and black clipping points and you end checking them last step.

Hold down the alt/option key and grab the white slider. The screen will turn mostly black. Move the slider to find the brightest part of the image. It will show out of the black. Adjust the slider until it disappears. In other words move the slide just to the point where the entire image turns black.

Joe

Do that and I'll start typing the next step.

The eyedropper? I have LR CC 2015, I don't know if I have that option...
Would it at all be alright with you to continue this tomorrow? My laptop battery is about to drop...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back