Moon Picture

CMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, you guys must get asked this question a lot, but I really want to know how to get better at taking moon shots.

CMoon.jpg

I took this one last night and I'm really not happy with it; for one thing, the bright part of the moon is too bright, and then what's with that wierd green shadow thing underneath it?

Somebody suggested that an f/22 aperture and a 1/15 shutter speed would work well; any thoughts there?

I don't think you would want to use f/22, something more like f/11 would be better. Also, a faster shutter speed is a must; probabley around 1/100. I think I am right... :)

I think your main problem is metering - set your camera to spot metering or centre weighted and make sure the centre of the shot is on the lighter part of the moon - this should reduce the brightness.

Also - I would take the camera off landscape mode and use either programmed mode or aperture priority mode.

As for the strange shape underneath I don't know - is it possible this is a lens flare from the bright part of the moon? Anyone?

The green is due to internal reflections. It's unavoidable in pictures of Earthshine, which is what you got there, because of the saturation of the sun-lit part of the moon vs. the near-blackness of the area around it.

I'm assuming you did this with the XTi and the 300 mm lens? If so, then the simple answer to getting rid of the green is to just crop it out or remove it in PhotoShop - either are an easy "solution." If you did this with film, then use scissors.

But, since it sounds as though your goal was NOT to get Earthshine, then you need a much shorter exposure, which should also remove that reflection.

Thanks everyone for the advice. :)

astrostu, yes, it was the 400D and 300mm. I could easily remove it in PS, was just wondering why it was there in the first place.

If it ever clears out, (it's been cloudy the last few days) I'll go take some more using the advice you all have given.

Thanks again. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back