My photos are NOT OK to edit.

If your sexual intercourse with your girlfriend is not perfect, and someone gives you a hint on how to improve it, then you would well listen and try it out, but you would not want that person to do it for you ....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right on!

Ah but my lover might enjoy the demonstration... These days I assure you she would benefit from it. As would some images.

I have a high post count it is true.. I could be easily be mistaken for someone who knows what the hell they are doing. Which is why I also make it very clear in my critiques, or even edits, that this is probably not the mainstream opinons. Also that you should try this out yourself.

Anyone who has been around the business has an obligation to say, "This is only how I see it." Not "This is right and you are wrong."

High Post count or over thirty years in a totally different kind of photography does not make me right. It probably makes me wrong.

Photography has changed so much in the techniques I would not even try to make a statement about how you do a thing, just that a thing should be done. That has not changed. A dark photograph is still a dark photograph even if I don't know all the ways to correct it.

By the by banana haters are going to march in LA, if they can find enough flack jackets.

About the once it is edited they can claim it... If someone is out to edit then steal your image you better not post it at all. Cause those are the ones who aren't going to care if you have do not edit or edit they will just steal it anyway. Which is a benefit of making crappy images no one wants to steal my stuff.

Allowing other people to edit my photos interferes with my creative process. The final product is mine and mine alone.

lol okay max.... (uninterpretable mumbles heard in the background)

Note to self remind max that even with editing the FINAL image is always the authors. It's only a suggestion by others when they edit.

In practicality very few times will people bother to edit.

Myself, I post to the critique forum to get pointers and suggestions.

I post in both to get suggestions .. and to get feedback telling me how horrible my images are :)

of course "look at me look at me!" is always part of it as well ;)

I'm actually with Max. I think mine is set to "Ok to edit" (but I don't post pics, so I don't remember which I picked when I signed up). But I can understand someone wanting to maintain control over their image.

Some people see their photographs as a technical thing, and want advice and criticism on how to get that technical thing closer to some technical version of "perfect." But others see this as an art form, and just want to show off their vision. If someone edits that vision, the picture might be better - but it's no longer the artist's picture. Some people don't care (me among them) - others do.

Think of other media. You might write a play, and put it on, and ask "what do you think?" That invites opinions - but you might well be insulted to have someone come back with "I think it was bad, but, here, I re-wrote that last scene - it's much better now." It might be better - but it's not the playwright's work, or the playwright's vision.

For some people, that's insulting on a far deeper level than technical advice. It says that the person re-doing the work doesn't respect or appreciate the vision of the person who did it in the first place - that the original artistic vision was junk to be replaced by someone better's. Maybe it was - but such things are debatable, and some people would rather pursue their own vision than invite others to "improve" it. Even if the original artist doesn't take those "improvements," it's still insulting for some people.

The flip side is that to reach that vision, you need the tools - and someone who re-works the photo may be able to help a person learn those tools. But there's a fine line between fixing and taking over a picture - if some people don't want to risk having their artwork treated like that, I can understand and respect that.

For me, I've never shot anything that I'd call art - so I'm just looking for people to tell me how to get the exposure right.

Just thought I would add a little tid bit, I believe it was ClarinetJWD that said in a similar thread that once someone has edited your photo, they can legally claim it as their own work. That would be one concern of many and one reason I am thinking of going to Not Ok to Edit.

I was going to say something like this.

Some people may not want you to edit because it is their business and they don't want there work floating and around being altered.

Or they may like their style of altering and although they know that other things can be done to make it look better in others eyes, this is their style and how they do things.

They may not want any critique and may just want to display a few pieces for the pleasure of our viewing.

Although some may think they are "too good or better" for it because you can't rule out everything and I am sure there are a few, I am sure that is not the reason in most cases. That is just not what they came here for or asked for.

Like it was stated, you should be free to make your own personal choices. However I may suggest putting a really good watermark on your photo, because no matter what people will do what they want to do....

:hug:: Now lets all get along.

everytime you post pictures in a public place if you want to guarentee the image stay yours you need to do something. Honest people wont steal a good image from you no matter your editing options, and dishonest people will not matter your edit options... You have to protect your image.

My thinking goes back to this. Since I write a little, if someone gave me a new ending I would read it see if there was anyting i could use then i would probably trash it. But I wouldn't be upset that he took the time to write one.

I certainly wouldn't be offended unless he put the play on with his ending and didn't pay me for it. But that is a protection of copyright. Id just have to sue his butt. I have posted stories on line and had people contact me about using then on another site. I always agree. I have no idea how many others have just taken them since they are easy to steal. I dont even care. I consider it flattering even if they pass them off as theirs.

I really don't care if people dont want their images edited, I just pass over them and don't even look. Too many people do want to learn to be upset with those who don't. I think they are wrong, but that's my opinion and nothing more. Since we have all stated our reasons not a lot more to be said.

Except. viva la revolution.... Bananas rule...

Actually, mine are fine to edit. What I think of people who choose "NOT OK":

1. They are arrogant, or ignorant.

2. They think they are better than you, therefore you are incapable of producing an image better than their original.

3. They are old, or unwilling to learn.

4. They don't realize the insignificance of other people's opinion on the internet.

5. They hate photoshop.

In any case, their existence online is hypocritical, get with the times.
Cedew is a classic Troll. He claims he's looking for open, honest debate, yet posts a rant that basically insults anyone who doesn't agree with his views. And then, when people actually start putting forward their opinions and views, he runs away, claiming the thread has run it's course. Classic.

I'm new here and I haven't yet posted anything, but really, if someone doesn't want their work edited or messed around with, just respect that. It isn't hard.

Honest people wont steal a good image from you no matter your editing options, and dishonest people will not matter your edit options... You have to protect your image.

And stupid people will steal your bad images. Experienced that myself, but again, it was females depicted on them, so it was not about photographic quality anyway ...

Some might disagree, but I found out, this stupid little copyright symbol I have in my images these days when posting here, keeps at least the ignorant people from stealing. some steal because they have no idea about intellectual property ..

.. however you cannot stop thieves from stealing, who do it on prupose (ok, you can post the images so small or watermarked, that they are unusable, but that does not really look nice ;) )

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, ChigleyWigley, and what a thread you have chosen to start out with on here :D.
Curious to see some of your work! :D

Most reactions

Back