Need help on how to make a shooting to wrestlers.

Casanova

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys im David Casanova and im a beginner on photography and i have been asked to make a photoshoot to a group of wreslters and i have never done that, i need tips and advice, any thing is appreciated thanks!!

You'll need to provide more information.

Will they be wrestling, or will it be a group portrait?

Assuming it will be inside, how much light will there be?

What camera? What lens? Do you have a hot shoe flash unit?

ok we will be backstage and the light i dont know the names for those types of bulbs, but they are this lights i.imgur.com/priHt.jpg (625×479) (you may have to copy the link and paste it on a new tab to work) and its gonna be group, one by one, group of three, (they wont be wrestling) you name it. i have hot shoe, but not the flash unit yet.

Camera Nikon D3100 Lens 18-55

Last edited:
Welcome. and good luck!

Those lights are generally called par cans.

This seems like a fairly straightforward shoot. Start by figuring out what background you want -- presumably something not too distracting that is clearly in a gym (or whatever the setting is). You may want to open up your aperture all the way to blur the background.

Next, figure out what your ambient light is doing. Are the par cans casting a harsh, directional light? Or is it even and soft? And is it an unusual color? Put a subject in the shot without a flash to see how the ambient light affects them. If it's ugly, find a new location.

If you don't have a flash, you'll have to rely on the ambient light, so position your subject so that the light is flattering. Watch for hard nose-shadows and dark circles on the eyes. Make sure the face is exposed properly, and not too blown-out or underexposed, which can happen easily with stage lighting.

Regarding poses, you could go with a simple straight-on stand-and-smile. That's easiest, but can tend to look like an ugly passport photo. Look at sports portraits to get some ideas of poses you like, and direct your subjects into those poses. Don't be shy about telling them exactly how to stand. I find Pinterest helpful for this sort of thing. For example:

Lay all your Love On Me / Antonio Cesaro, wrestler

Guys / Wrestler

Famous Mobilians / Professional wrestler Bob "Hardcore" Holly, is from Mobile and is known for his signature Alabama Slam move.

The Sporting Life / sportynumbers

The Sporting Life / Wales fullback Leigh Halfpenny, being wholesome and adorable and biceps.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2hqo4Y2wl1rqe2hxo1_500.jpg

thanks and the light I supposed that they will be casting a harsh directional light. And the background will be gray! Thanks for the tips and advice!

If the light is ugly as far as color casts, then you use an 18% gray card and measure the light using the cameras measure mode in White Balance. If it is casting shadows then you have the on board flash, which I know to some its use is an anathema, but if you need it to offset the harsh lighting then it is better that a screwed shot. If possible get someone to stand in the area and see what effects the lighting has, then try your flash and adjust it so you get the proper exposure. This means setting the Flash to Manual and choosing an put put. You only want enough to offset the lights, and get a good exposure. Also use the Redeye for the flash as well. That is the one problem with the on board flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back