New tripod

rmstudios

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for the new tripod for under $100 for my nikon (d7k). Really like Calumet 7300 Tripod , but would like to pay less. Any suggestions ? Thank you.

The key features a tripod needs are;

1. Stability - a weight hook is handy so you can add weight low if it's windy.
2. Weight capacity (at least 2 times the most most weight you expect to mount on the tripod. 3 times (see 'weight hook' in #1) is better)
3. Right height - so you can use it without raising the center column, which negatively impacts tripod stability.
4. Versatility - so you can get the camera close to the ground, or cantilevered out from the tripod centerline.

Most tripods at or under $200 are a waste of money.

What often happens is - someone buys a $100 tripod and discovers it's to flimsy to be stable, or durable. So when it breaks, or they get fed up with blurry shots because the tripod can't damp the vibrations caused by the camera shutter, they set the $100 tripod aside and buy a $175 tripod.

The $175 dollar tripod is better, but it still doesn't quite make the grade, and disappointment still reigns. Plus, $275 have now been invested, and that someone is still looking for a good tripod.

So that someone finally spends $350 and gets a quality set of tipod legs, amd a quality tripod head. The only trouble is that $350 tripod ultimately cost $625, but that someone now has 2 tripods to use to hold up that loose trellis in the backyard. :lmao:

Tripods having only 3 leg sections are more stable than tripods having 4 leg sections, but 4 leg section tripods collapse to a smaller size making them better suited for traveling on public transportation, like airplanes.

GIOTTO'S-Professional Photographic Equipment
A decent first tripod is the Giottos MT9360 Aluminum 4-Section Tripod Series III Professional

The MT-9360 has a built-in 3 way head, 8 kg (17.6 lb) load capacity, and comes with a tool kit and padded carrying bag. The MT-9361 is the 3 leg section version of the same tripod.

Manfrotto is another popular brand, but doesn't include a tool kit, not r a paddd carrying bag. I think Giottos is a better value.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've got the Manfrotto MK394http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._MK394_H_Photo_Movie_Kit_Aluminum_Tripod.html and really like it. Though I knew the merits of going with a high dollar tripod, budget was a huge factor I couldn't ignore. I also liked this as the center piece can be put in upside down for a good macro setup. I've been using it for 6 months now and haven't found myself wanting a higher priced one yet. Obviously there's conditions that it blurs due to strong winds, etc. But in those same conditions I've borrowed a friend's tripod (~$370 price), it was obviously much better, not as blurry... but still often blurry. So someday I'm sure I'll upgrade to the higher priced/quality tripod, but for what I do now this one more than suits my needs and definitely great value for $.

Also, if you don't like the ball head they have this one.

Thank you friends. Now I know what to look for.

You trust your D7K on a < $100 tripod?

You won't be the first, or the last, to make that mistake. :lmao:
I can assure you for myself, it's not a mistake. It's part of choosing what works best for my uses and budget. I compared tripods through the $400 price range, and in the end the others did have nice features I wanted but what I needed and what budget I had available, the one I choose fit perfectly.
But I am curious as both you and 2WheelPhoto allude to trusting the tripod as though damage to the camera will occur simply due to the tripod being less than $100. So I'm wondering what this may be if utilizing the tripod correctly? As most damage I've seen occur associated with tripods was due to not using it correctly in the first place, striking low and high $$$ tripods alike.

Dolica GX650B204. $70 ball head pan tripod. very stable even with a big heavy lens.

sorry im not dropping big money on a tripod i hardly ever use and a good budget ones will work.

now if i was going to spend money on a tripod it would be a really right stuff one for a few grand

I just received delivery yesterday of a Korean tripod/monopod called Horus Bennu model C-2830V. Ebay for $150 no ball head. I have on order
from B&H a Manfrotto 324RC2 joystick $111. Together at $266 I think I did pretty good. The C-2830V is carbon Fiber that you can take down
as low as you want. The quality seems very good and considerably lighter than my Sunpac which is smaller.
Might consider it an option. I'm sure I'll feel secure with it holding my d7000.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
lol the joy gorilla pod focus.

I actually love mine but for under $100 that is the only tripod i would get. $100 is chump change for tripods, a decent tripod head cant be bought for $100

Most reactions

Back