Nikon D50 slr question

ceres

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is my first time using a digital SLR, I got this one for Christmas and I have no idea what I am doing. I didn't expect it to be much different than a 35mm film camera but here is the problem.... almost every picture looks like it has been stretched vertically. IE if I take a picture of my son then his head looks really tall..... everything is thin.... the closer up I am, the worse it gets.

First I was working with manual, but now I have it on automatic and nothing makes a difference....

:confused:

what software are you using to process your images?
are you shooting the kit lens at the wide angle setting for all these shots?

JonMikal said:
what software are you using to process your images?
are you shooting the kit lens at the wide angle setting for all these shots?

Software.... I tried three different softwares that I have around the house and it looks the same on all of them. The one I installed and tried today is called "Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album 5"

Oh and about the lens.... I don't know.... :/

Can you post an example?

There will be some distortion with the kit lens, especially when at the widest setting. Also, the closer you get, the worse it gets.

Try standing back and zooming in.

Rashadan said:
Do you mean in the LCD or when you look at them on your computer?

When I look at them on the computer.... and apparently what program does not matter. I just looked at them on my camera again and they look normal.

I looked through all of the options that I could on the computer and could not find one that said if I had it at the "widest" setting. :(

If they look ok on the camera, then it must be the software your using. One way to check (presuming your on pc with fairly recent os, and shooting jpg) is to open the folder the images are in and right click one, then go to 'open with' and choose 'windows picture and fax viewer'. This should open the image in the viewing software and will be proportional. If its ok there, you know its the software settings your using. Hope this helps

Do you have a program that shows all the camera data with the image? Each image has that info built into it.

Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO setting etc. You are looking for focal length. If it's says 18mm, then you shot with the widest setting (assuming you have the kit lens)

You should also be able to see this info when viewing the images on the camera.

Big Mike said:
Do you have a program that shows all the camera data with the image? Each image has that info built into it.

Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO setting etc. You are looking for focal length. If it's says 18mm, then you shot with the widest setting (assuming you have the kit lens)

You should also be able to see this info when viewing the images on the camera.

And until today, I could.... but some goddamn button I hit turned it off and now it has some weird ..... the only way i can describe it is mountains.... it looks like sound. This makes me want to go back to film :meh:

Archangel said:
If they look ok on the camera, then it must be the software your using. One way to check (presuming your on pc with fairly recent os, and shooting jpg) is to open the folder the images are in and right click one, then go to 'open with' and choose 'windows picture and fax viewer'. This should open the image in the viewing software and will be proportional. If its ok there, you know its the software settings your using. Hope this helps

I looked at it in windows picture and fax viewer and they were scewed.... doh

ceres said:
And until today, I could.... but some goddamn button I hit turned it off and now it has some weird ..... the only way i can describe it is mountains.... it looks like sound. This makes me want to go back to film
:meh:

Thats your histogram, if you push the up and down buttons (on the round control pad) it displays different info.....just keep presing untill you gat to the info. I'm affraid you've lost me with the computer thing tho...sorry.

Maybe you should read though the manual.

Big Mike said:
Maybe you should read though the manual.

Gee I never thought of that. :lmao:

Now really.... I have read the entire frickin' manual and it doesn't help a bit.

I wouldn't have posted here if I knew how to fix it on my own, you think I enjoy looking like an idiot? :mrgreen:

Okay, well, I am emailing my film professor to see if I can bring it in and maybe she can help....

I may still post a picture here if I have time to get one uploaded to photobucket

One other thing (though probably not it). What is your screen resolution set at? I know that there are some resolution settings that are not 'normal' in that they do tend to squish things together horizontally.

ceres said:
Gee I never thought of that. :lmao:

Now really.... I have read the entire frickin' manual and it doesn't help a bit.

I wouldn't have posted here if I knew how to fix it on my own, you think I enjoy looking like an idiot? :mrgreen:

Okay, well, I am emailing my film professor to see if I can bring it in and maybe she can help....

I may still post a picture here if I have time to get one uploaded to photobucket

Big Mike was commenting on you not knowing what a histogram is, and he's right if you've read the manual then you should know what it is.

But yes post a picture if you can

Most reactions

Back