Nikon D750 vs. Canon 5D MKII

Well Best Buy has been giving me the run around. I’m going to go in store tonight and see what can be done. If they can’t do anything for me, then I’m just going to get my money refunded on the kit and buy it from B&H.

I got to edit files from my last family shoot I did. Half were 5D MKII files and half were D750 files. The biggest difference is that the D750 files seemed warmer (and they were shoot as RAW), but seemed flatter with less contrast, which is a good thing. Neutral is always better in my opinion. That was just my impression. From just a few other random photos, it seems like that are also less saturated or vivid in comparison. They’re RAW files though, so they should be.

The AF is smart. Too smart I think. I was taking some random photos of an abandoned set of building that’s fenced in with barbed wire at the top of the fences and once the AF locked on to one of the twists at the top of the fence, it seemed like it knew to stay locked regardless of how you moved.

I have a 24-70 f/2.8 that I ordered Tuesday right after I was paypal’ed for my 5D MKII body. That should be here Saturday. After that, the only thing I think I need will be at least a speed light. The 16-35 f/4 is on my agenda as well, but I’m going to wait until all my Canon gear is sold or I have a shoot where it’s absolutely necessary. I’m saving money to sell my car and purchase a cheaper vehicle, so this is a pretty crazy financial decision on my part. At least I’m going to come out on top in the long run.

Oh, and LV focusing is much better than the 5D MKII. I know there's 4 years difference and that's to be expected, but some people on either this forum or another were complaining about Nikon's implementation of the LV focusing. For me, it's better than what I had. Also, the 5D couldn't focus while recording. I don't know that I'll be using that much though, as it hunted front and back the other night before locking when I tested it and it's noisy. You can easily hear the focusing action in the playback. I'll be shooting a promotional video for a band on the 13th. I'll have to post up the video when I get done. :D

I just uploaded the photos from today and wanted to test out this amazing dynamic range I've seen so much about. I was in Harpers Ferry and as I was trudging up a long steep set of steps I came up to the church. Exposing the church would have blown the sky out so I exposed for the sky and got this:
Nikon D750 DR Test Before by VI™, on Flickr

Just in Lightroom, I bumped the shadows up all the way, bumped them a little more in the curves, and added some contrast. This is from one photo:
Nikon D750 DR Test After by VI™, on Flickr

Did you get everything straightened out with Best Buy?

Did you get everything straightened out with Best Buy?

Through my local store. I spent about 3 hours on the phone since it was an internet order than the store couldn't even look up the SKU to order it. When I went in they found one at a local place and said it would be shipped in and I could do an exchange when it got there.

Another shot from today. The 6.5 FPS comes in handy.

Nikon D750 FPS Test by VI™, on Flickr

I've never been a fan of those tilty screens. A thin ribbon cable and constant motion is just asking for trouble.

I wish there was a wireless 7" IPS Bluetooth monitor that could sync with the camera for reviewing images in the field. HD and fully able to be calibrated. [emoji106]
Well it's kind of there already on d750.

Turn on WiFi from your camera, connect your 5.x phone screen or tablet to the camera WiFi.

You can view the pictures via the downloaded nikon app.

I've never been a fan of those tilty screens. A thin ribbon cable and constant motion is just asking for trouble.

I wish there was a wireless 7" IPS Bluetooth monitor that could sync with the camera for reviewing images in the field. HD and fully able to be calibrated. [emoji106]
Well it's kind of there already on d750.

Turn on WiFi from your camera, connect your 5.x phone screen or tablet to the camera WiFi.

You can view the pictures via the downloaded nikon app.

I'm going to play with this later tonight if I have time. I have that video I'm shooting Saturday evening which this would be useful for if it works for video recording as well as still and I'm in the process of putting up a photo booth for events and one of the apps that goes with the program requires an Eye Fi card to send the photos to the iPad so that clients and send it to themselves one of several ways. I don't know if this would also work with Nikon's iDevice compatible wifi or not. I wouldn't be using the D750 as the photo booth camera and would end up just purchasing a used entry level camera and kit lens to start off with, but it would be useful for testing purposes since I don't have an Eye Fi card just yet.

Glad it seems to be working out for you. Defiantly a camera I'm considering.

"Just in Lightroom, I bumped the shadows up all the way, bumped them a little more in the curves, and added some contrast".

When you adjusted this picture of the church, was it with a photoshop program? Sorry, fairly new to this.

Glad it seems to be working out for you. Defiantly a camera I'm considering.

"Just in Lightroom, I bumped the shadows up all the way, bumped them a little more in the curves, and added some contrast".

When you adjusted this picture of the church, was it with a photoshop program? Sorry, fairly new to this.

No, it was in the Adobe Lightroom program.

I tested the ipad tonight and I got the photo booth working with the trial software without needing camera wifi. The Nikon app looks like it only does photos and not video. I'll have to do some research to see if that's the only way it works.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back