Not quite 4,000...

Here's another log to throw on the fire........ for whoever (or is it whomever) decides to make a post in the Feedback and Suggestion Forum about this discussion.

The Crit Forum went by the wayside because of this or that. So be it. (I think I mentioned this before) but the gap between Beginners and Pro's is vast and I feel many that are voicing their opinions here are the "somewhere-in-betweens". How about a sub-forum for those in betweens that are subscribers? I don't have a problem with a pay-to-play policy/forum at all. It's only a couple of bucks per month. I mean, about the only benefit I get is a larger In Box. I don't utilize the gallery option, the bold text in username is nice, but unnecessary, I do like the little ribbon by me name though. What else is it we're suppose to get?

Anyway, this would be a place for all that have a vested interest can go to and (hopefully) cooler heads will prevail for dialogue on photos posted for C&C.

OMG, this just hit me....... It could also be a way for the owners to generate even more income. Think about it..... pay $25 a year to be where all the cool kids hang out.... oh, that's juicy.

Seriously, it's a suggestion only, but I feel one that merits conversation.

It's been my experience that, for the most part, when a member posts a dramatic 'I'm leaving' post...they usually come back...if only to see what people have to say about them in their (seemingly) absence. Several of them end up posting replies to their own 'last post'...and some just come back like nothing happened.

Basically, I'm see them as a cry for attention...and I don't have time to indulge them and beg them to stay...which seems to be what some of them want.

I'm not picking on anyone in particular here...just my experience from the last 5-6 years around here.

You're not picking on anyone in particular...? But responding to my post to say that...? Seriously...?

My post was absolutely not a cry for attention for me, personally... it was an attempt on my part to rally a bit of discussion about things that are starting to chafe me about this place, because I would genuinely like to continue with the community here that I think is mostly good.

Yes, I agree that this place is better off when the 'experienced' members continue to hang around and they can't just be replaced by the newbs...but we also have to accept that as a forum grows, it becomes less important (and less feasible) to go out of the way to accommodate individuals....experienced or not.

I don't quite see how both can't be reasonably supported in one environment. You have people jumping up and down offering their help and the forum can be restructured a bit.

Now, if the owners just have zero interest in this... fine. Say so, and we'll likely all shut up and be done with it.

I think I mentioned it before...but the idea of this (and many other) forums is that it is to be largely 'Member Driven'. That doesn't mean that the mods/admin have to make wholesale changes everytime the 'club' has an issue. It means that they should lead by example...and if the herd follows, then that's the way it goes. We (the mods) are just here in enforce the rules.

And I hope you see that some of us are trying to do that, but at the end of the day if restructuring things a bit would be needed to support some of the ideas... well, the members can't do that other than to ask for it.

Again, I'm all for change...but lets see some solid idea besides 'add more mods'. :)

I think you've had them... but I'm getting the sense we have to jump through some hoops and write up some kind of formal document of request to discuss them further... I don't quite see how this particular thread didn't cover it, but...

Firstly, we mods are just mods...we don't own the forum, nor do we make the decisions on how the forum is laid out, how it is run etc. There is a 'chain of command' and we aren't on the top rung, so to speak.

I understand this.

If you have some actual ideas for the forum, put them in the feedback forum...that's the first step. The key point is that for an idea to really be taken seriously, it has to have some thought put into it, with some suggestions on how to follow though on it.

mmm...

Keep in mind that it's still a very small minority of members who are 'demanding change'. I'm not saying that you need to 'drum up support'...but keep in mind that any ideas need to take thought for the forum as a whole...not just the little clique that likes to speak out.

First off, we're not demanding change. We're making suggestions on what changes we feel might make TPF a better place... not just for an isolated group... for everyone.

NOBODY that I've seen in this thread has been ANYTHING but supportive of new folks on this board. This isn't about being elitest or segregational or anything... it's just about trying to tweak things to make them a bit better.

I also don't get how you can ignore some of the longevity of some of the people raising their voices in here. It's not like we're just some random people who fell off the boat whining about something 2 weeks after being here... though I must say, you're absolutely making me feel that way.

The bottom line is that we can't please all of the people, all of the time. It's inevitable that some people will get fed up and leave...it happens all the time...it's not a big deal, we get quite a few new members everyday. And when people go to the trouble to 'announce' that they are leaving...I just roll my eyes :rolleyes: :lol:

Good. I'm really glad to know how you feel. Very glad I invested this time to try to help.

EDITed for harshness: I like you and what you do here, Mike, but your posts today have really dissapointed me. They seem dismissive and borderline insulting. Perhaps I'm misreading. I'm sick, so I'm grouchy. Dunno.

Last edited:
It's people like you that I learn from. I have no one in my life to go to for photography advice and learning from someone who has experience means a lot to me. It's hard to tell what's right or wrong (of course everyone has their own opinions) but I would believe someone with professional experience who has your 4000+ posts compared to some noob off the street. I've talked with you on a brief occasion and you seem like a good guy.

I am totally new here and have been in hopes of finding some honest and even brutal critiquing because everybody I know thinks my photography is great, but really, it's so far from that. I struggle with aperture and shutter speeds for crying out loud!! I am NEW. So please, stick around, anybody new could use your help. I'll take it with more than a grain of salt. Thanks!!

I'm still here a couple hundred posts later. I'm a little frustrated, but I'm trying to make the board a better place if I can.

That being said, I've had a hell of a few weeks at work so I'm a little grouchier than usual, so I may be contributing the problem occasionally. :(

Thanks for the kind words.

maybe it'd be good to stop posting for a while... more time to get out and take photos?
though moaning on the internet is just as productive. I dont mean to offend, seriously, but in all honesty while most appreciate 90% of your posting (because its helpful) it is over-shadowed by grumpy venting threads like this bro, keep it in check and people might take the pact thing more seriously?

-J

maybe it'd be good to stop posting for a while... more time to get out and take photos?
though moaning on the internet is just as productive. I dont mean to offend, seriously, but in all honesty while most appreciate 90% of your posting (because its helpful) it is over-shadowed by grumpy venting threads like this bro, keep it in check and people might take the pact thing more seriously?

-J

I agree. On all the forums I visit, what makes them cool are the oldest, and wisest members. **** happens. Live past it.

I'm still here a couple hundred posts later. I'm a little frustrated, but I'm trying to make the board a better place if I can.

That being said, I've had a hell of a few weeks at work so I'm a little grouchier than usual, so I may be contributing the problem occasionally. :(

I just found this thread, and, three cigarettes later, it's been a very good read. Glad you're still around...a lot of good people have gone in just the short 1 1/2 years I've been around. It would be a shame to lose another, especially someone with a will to make a difference.

I am on other boards related to various other hobbies (motorcyles, RC flying, scale model building, etc), and what goes on here is nothing new to the forum world, unfortunately. All you can do is start to "pick up the trash" in your own little park, and hope others follow suit.

man, does this thread still have a life? Dude, you're well beyond 4K now, but if it ever gets too heavy, much like for myself....... just Walk Away

Gawd..... does anyone remember the pops and crackles?

EDIT: here's another one for you cloudwalker.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Who brought this corpse back to life?

30 lashes with a wet noodle to the guilty party. :lmao:

Gawd..... does anyone remember the pops and crackles?

Gawd yes. Still listen to them just about everyday. Can't afford to replace my collection with CDs not to mention that some of my vinyl has not ever come out on CD. :lol:

Hey for the record, I wasn't the one who revitalized it. :)

I do appreciate the support though! :) Love you too, Phil! :)

Thanks kundalini. I actually think that a recorded blues sounds better with some pops and crackles. :D

You know if you take those things and glue a thread spindle to them and put a filled balloon with air over the spindle, it makes them hover and you can slide them along the floor. Wicked cool.

You know if you take those things and glue a thread spindle to them and put a filled balloon with air over the spindle, it makes them hover and you can slide them along the floor. Wicked cool.

:scratch:

Man you are wicked strange :lol:

Well maybe The Village People album :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back