Objectionable Language (To Some, Perhaps) Aboard!

Look, I didn't want this to be an expose' on my enlightenment. I'm sorry (oh yeah, waaaaaaaay sorry) for having brought it up. I admire your work, MarcusM, so I believe I'll get back into the galleries to view and learn and keep my enlightened a** out of this discussion area.

The reason I made the remark about the enlightenment was due to your remarks about you "thinking we might know something" and you were surprised we hadn't heard or didn't know anything about the VM. It just seemed like you were being sarcastic. Thanks for the comment about my work.

The reason I made the remark about the enlightenment was due to your remarks about you "thinking we might know something" and you were surprised we hadn't heard or didn't know anything about the VM. It just seemed like you were being sarcastic. Thanks for the comment about my work.

But true enlightenment can only be found in the infinity of the universe seen through blind glass!

I've heard of the Vagina Monologues. My sister was in a book club and it was one of subjects for it. I of course, curious to know what all the hoopla was about, read an excerpt or two myself.

I think in today's culture, fewer and fewer subjects are still taboo and sexuality, the roles of women, and all of that good stuff (for lack of a better term...) are now alright (and sometimes encouraged) things to discuss. Therefore, given the context, I don't really find your image(s) offensive.

But, I'm sure some still find these things offensive and I'm sure they would take issue with the images. Do we still record the event? Totally. Do we share the images? Totally. While it may offend some, I think not sharing the records of important (and controversial) events would hurt even more.

I said in another thread that dozens of people recorded the events of Sept. 11 and many people took issue with some of the images. Do you think anyone regrets capturing them? Not a chance, I'd say.

As for the rules about photography during certain events, I'd say follow them out of respect for those performing. There's a reason it's not allowed and that's because it can be down right annoying and distracting.

So, I hope I've mentioned something that's added to this conversation. If not, sorry for wasting your time.

Hey Rick!

I guess you and I are just chopped liver..... ^^everybody else gets a mention^^.... :grumpy:

Yes, I feel left out. :er:

How about this?- kind of related.

Either of you ever read a National Lampoon maybe 25 years ago or so when this kid wakes up and finds he has a vagina? Seems he lost his penis while he was sleeping.

He thought it was kinda cool 'cause it was easier to deal with. He went to his sister's room and got a pair of her panties to wear because his skivvies kept falling off. He liked that they were comfortable and light and that it was like wearing his underwear backwards.

So anyway, he goes to school and has kind of an uneventful day even though he hesitates to use the restroom and is 'restless.' He waits for Phys. Ed. and the chance to use the shower to relieve himself. He jumps in the shower after class and that's when his best friend notices the pecularity.

"Hey Larry, you got a ****!"

Of course Larry is embarrassed and tries to hide, but it's too late.

"C'mon Larry, let's see it closer. I never really seen one up close. I almost seen my sister's once!"

Larry's humiliated. He explains the situation to his buddy.

His pal quietly listens and understands, then asks, "Can I **** it?"

Larry's appalled and refuses to do him this favor. Friendship has its boundaries.

The antics and shenanigans that follow are hilarious although the aforementioned details are the only ones I can remember. The condition only lasts for a week or so and then in Larry's own words, "It eventually went away."

So that's always what I think of when I hear about the Vagina Monologues. I know it ain't right, but some memory triggers just can't be explained.

-

I think the Original Poster was seeking a conversation on the EVENT, and what it was about, rather than these photos - none of which is objectionable at all. Sure there is a naughty word there, big deal.

You talked about why women weren't there even if they were in town, and that really bothers me. Why do ALL women need to stand up and burn their bras and stomp their feet in honor of their vaginas? Some are just happy living their lives, and there is nothing more needed.

I suppose I don't object to any image being photographed. I have a problem with the venue in which some of the images are shown.

There are certain words which are, for various reasons, distracting. When I saw the photo with the word "****", that's where my eye focused. There really wasn't much else in the photo on which to focus. Then I wondered about the other languages.

I went to a photo exhibit that turned out to be nothing but penises. That's fine but I do think people should have been aware. I intrigued enough to ask my sister, much more interiorly oriented than am I, which room of the house would be most appropriate for a 16x20 print of a penis ejaculating.

The OP is obviously aware of the concept of venue since she warned people of "language" but, sadly, many people aren't.

I think in today's culture, fewer and fewer subjects are still taboo and sexuality

I think that largely depends on where you live. I went to school at PSU and the locals protested a Hooters opening up 1 block away from the campus. A HOOTERS!!! Who gives a f!!!

I'm always surprised when people find anatomical words offensive... like we're not all human or something.

Whatever... who cares... you can't change people.

How about this?- kind of related.

Either of you ever read a National Lampoon maybe 25 years ago or so when this kid wakes up and finds he has a vagina? Seems he lost his penis while he was sleeping.

He thought it was kinda cool 'cause it was easier to deal with. He went to his sister's room and got a pair of her panties to wear because his skivvies kept falling off. He liked that they were comfortable and light and that it was like wearing his underwear backwards.

So anyway, he goes to school and has kind of an uneventful day even though he hesitates to use the restroom and is 'restless.' He waits for Phys. Ed. and the chance to use the shower to relieve himself. He jumps in the shower after class and that's when his best friend notices the pecularity.

"Hey Larry, you got a ****!"

Of course Larry is embarrassed and tries to hide, but it's too late.

"C'mon Larry, let's see it closer. I never really seen one up close. I almost seen my sister's once!"

Larry's humiliated. He explains the situation to his buddy.

His pal quietly listens and understands, then asks, "Can I **** it?"

Larry's appalled and refuses to do him this favor. Friendship has its boundaries.

The antics and shenanigans that follow are hilarious although the aforementioned details are the only ones I can remember. The condition only lasts for a week or so and then in Larry's own words, "It eventually went away."

So that's always what I think of when I hear about the Vagina Monologues. I know it ain't right, but some memory triggers just can't be explained.

-

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

There are several problems with the Vagina Monologues. Now, I am basing this on the version I saw in the late 90's. As I understand it, this is an evolving piece that changes slightly from year to year.

There is a lot of man bashing that goes on in the play. There are parts of it that are about rape. However, in one particular part, it speaks about a young girl who is raped by an older woman, and this is seen as enlightenment. However, when it speaks about rape involving a man, it is of course, and rightfully so, seen as a terrible crime. Rape is rape, folks, it does not matter who does it. There are other instances of this double standard throughout the play.

However, there are some really humorous and very well written parts about women and their sexuality that I thought were dead on. Like I said, it has been a while since I have seen it, but overall, it was interesting and entertaining.

So let me see...

You find the c-word surprising and objectionable and generally make a big deal out of it while you are attending THE VAGINA MONOLOGUES and yet you accuse other people of ignorance. Ironic, and way to miss the whole point.

The font you are using in a forum is pretty darn important. You should really care if people can or cannot read what you are writing. People are helping you by pointing it out instead of not reading and replying at all.

I couldn't get in, it was sold out.
I saw ticket stubs on the ground.

"VaginaMon" ....they said;

dude, I just totally missed out on the most important reggae band of all time..

Just messing around ,
seriously im sure posting it is fine as long as you have a warning. You prob should have posted in the off topic chat, but Im not peeved or anything about it.

What is the basic idea behind the VM thing? who holds it, why and for what? Just curious am I .....

THORHAMMER, Wikipedia is your friend:

The Vagina Monologues is an Obie Award-winning episodic play written by Eve Ensler which ran at the off-Broadway Westside Theatre after a limited run at HERE Arts Center in 1996. Ensler originally starred in the production; when she left the play it was recast with three celebrity monologists.

The Vagina Monologues is made up of a varying number of monologues read by a varying number of women (initially, Eve Ensler performed every monologue herself, with subsequent performances featuring three actresses, and more recent versions featuring a different actress for every role). Every monologue somehow relates to the vagina, be it through sex, love, rape, menstruation, mutilation, masturbation, birth, orgasm, the variety of names for the vagina, or simply as a physical aspect of the female body. A recurring theme throughout the piece is the vagina as a tool of female empowerment, and the ultimate embodiment of individuality.

Elements of the play critics find contentious include:
  • the amount of attention given to brutal sexual encounters compared with consensual or harmonious sexual encounters;
  • negative portrayal of male-female sexual relationships (virtually all of the male-female sexual relationships are depicted as negative and destructive to women, whereas all female-female sexual relationships, even one including statutory rape, are depicted as positive and nurturing);
  • In "The Little Coochie Snorcher that Could", a thirteen-year-old girl recounts being fed alcohol and then having sex with an adult woman; the incident is recalled fondly by the grown girl, who closes the monologue with the line, "If it was rape, it was good rape." After Eve Ensler linked The Vagina Monologues with "V-Day" (a proposed day of remembrance for victims of female sexual abuse, to replace Valentine's Day), the "good rape" line was excised from the script, the girl's age was changed to sixteen, and warnings were issued to individuals putting on the play that using older scripts containing the line constituted a copyright violation and was grounds for legal action.

That makes 2 of us... in future if your response is going to be like the one above, do us all a favor and don't respond.

Hold on a minute! A poster puts up a few photographs of an event written and designed to offend with the post title being 'Objectionable Language...'.

I'm sorry you failed to spot my irony in a photography forum, but I really have been highly offended by the use of that font and colour (it's something only women do IME). The word '****' big and bold in several languages and the bad representational graphics went comparatively unnoticed.

Sorry if I offended anyone. Just my very bad and obtuse sense of humour. Wide off the mark as ever.

If someone could explain it to me I'd be most grateful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back