One Big Family

koleks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since it's a Sunday, I just thought of posting a family portrait. This maybe a little bit wide because I wanted to include Taal Volcano at the right side as you can see. - Cheers!

family-5_zpsoyh8cqss.jpg

Sony A6000 / 24mm / f7.1 / 1/100s / ISO100

Last edited:
Every one looking good at the same time? RESULT! :D

Nice capture of the family group but it is so out of proportion wide and lots of empty space on the left side. and the volcano is essentially invisible.
I suggest a better framing would be to get higher with a ladder so that the family is in the foreground and the volcano in the background.

upload_2016-9-11_19-34-36.png

Nice capture of the family group but it is so out of proportion wide and lots of empty space on the left side. and the volcano is essentially invisible.
I suggest a better framing would be to get higher with a ladder so that the family is in the foreground and the volcano in the background.

View attachment 127401
Again The_Traveler, thank you for the advise. I really appreciate it. Will definitely remember this and apply it on my next shoot. We have a new member of the family and I'm planning to have another family portrait like this one this coming November where we'll have the whole family outing. I'll take this one with me and post the shot right after. - Cheers!

What a nice family portrait! The kids are all looking at the camera and have pleasant expressions, and the adults are all engaged.

While I certainly appreciate what Lew (Traveler) is suggesting, I would respectfully disagree. If you want to draw attention away from your subjects, then by all means, try this suggested angle so the volcano is looming large in the background. I fear, however, the family members would be dwarfed by having that much of the volcano in the frame. The focus of a family portrait should be the family, so I think your placement of the group front and center was the right call. I do agree that some of the space on the left could be cropped out, but it's still a pleasant background against a happy family group.

Now, with that gorgeous scenery (including the volcano), I'd love to see some landscape photography from you, too! :) Welcome to TPF, and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

I'm with Terri on this. If you want a picture of the volcano, take a picture of the volcano. Background elements that pull the viewer's eye away from the family are inappropriate in family portraiture. If this were a 'happy tourist snap' of Ma & Pa Kettle in front of the volcano taken on their trip that would be a different thing.

Thanks terri & tirediron. Really appreciate it :)

Most reactions

Back