"Out of all the photos we took, that's all you got?"

A couple years ago I had a photographer come and take photos at my son's first birthday which was duly my daughters 16th. She provided us with lots of photos and I was ecstatic. Loved them all. Each one wasn't a photograph. Some just pictures. That's what I wanted. About a year later before I started really getting into this we had a photographer take photos of "the grandkids" 8 of them teen to infant. She got some great shots, but my sister and I both said to each other that we thought there would be more. Looking back now that I have done just a few shoots I am more impressed by what she accomplished.
My point being she may not have meant to be rude. And your simple response was all she needed to hear. I come out of a shoot saying "I'm sure we got a couple good ones" then you have more than a couple they are happy.

Better yet, use 5.25 inch floppies SD/SS

No, go all the way back and use tapes
Punch cards, FTW!

Unfortunately, I must admit that I remember when people used to carry boxes of those for a program you could probably run on a phone now.
more likely on a $1.00 calculator.

Actually, I -DO- go back to my mainframe days when all there was were punch cards and 556 bpi tape. 80 columns per card and a full reel of 556 bpi tape held less than a cassette tape used by my VIC 20 twenty years later. Hard drives? As I recall, the earliest removable disk-pack drives I used were about 2 meg of storage, and were reserved for the operating system only, and not much more (IBM 1620 computer, for those interested).

The IBM 360/40 I was using 5 years later is a slowpoke 'toy' compared to the $19.95 Timex watch on my wrist these days!

When you offer it for free, your client (probably rightly so) thinks it is you who needs it most. He may thnk he has agreed to waste some of his time to let you practice. In return he expects at least a lot of photos. When he gets a couple, he feels cheated. I once offered to do it for free, shot a lot of frames and got one excellent shot. I had it printed and they were extremely happy, I had a great evening in a restaurant on them. But I still consider I got away with it: that one shot was really really good, but the rest was ***t. Since then I never ask for a free photo session :ambivalence:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back