Polalizing filters in snow

Axel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is there any advantage of using a polarizing filter in snow?

Thanks.

PS. How much would you pay for a good one 52mm?

Axel,

You've been preoccupied with polariser filters for ages!

A polariser will introduce bizarre hues in colour photographs of snow. In black and white, it may change the tonal values, however increases contrast in an already contrasty situation.

For a low grade 52mm uncoated resin grade, around $20-40. For a higher grade glass version, perhaps about $40-60.

I wouldn't recommend buying a 52mm, unless you plan to have one lens only. Perhaps consider getting a large size, i.e. 67mm or 77mm, depending on your projected purchases of larger lenses, and use a step up or down ring from 52-67mm etc. Most photographers don't want to own 5 different polarisers. I certainly wouldn't want more than one.

If you want a high grade polariser recommendation, I use a B&W Kasemann MRC with scratchproof coating and sealed ends. That'll set you back around $100 at least. Heliopan are just as good as B&W, using Schott glass, used for Zeiss lenses. Some Americans rave about Singh Ray filters too.

Good luck.

Jamie R said:
Axel,

You've been preoccupied with polariser filters for ages!

A polariser will introduce bizarre hues in colour photographs of snow. In black and white, it may change the tonal values, however increases contrast in an already contrasty situation.

For a low grade 52mm uncoated resin grade, around $20-40. For a higher grade glass version, perhaps about $40-60.

I wouldn't recommend buying a 52mm, unless you plan to have one lens only. Perhaps consider getting a large size, i.e. 67mm or 77mm, depending on your projected purchases of larger lenses, and use a step up or down ring from 52-67mm etc. Most photographers don't want to own 5 different polarisers. I certainly wouldn't want more than one.

If you want a high grade polariser recommendation, I use a B&W Kasemann MRC with scratchproof coating and sealed ends. That'll set you back around $100 at least. Heliopan are just as good as B&W, using Schott glass, used for Zeiss lenses. Some Americans rave about Singh Ray filters too.

Good luck.

Not for ages, but for a long time! LOL! Thanks for your recommendation...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back