"PRO" mode?

Interesting, I wouldn't think to keep ISO on auto I have it in my head to always try and keep it as low as I can for IQ, witch is usually 100-200 for me. I shoot outside in the day alot. I even bought a book about my new camera and the author says first thing take off auto ISO. But I will explore the possibilities of auto ISO and see how it goes. I'm also going to try and shoot the same scean in a all mode and compare more than I have been. I feel like I haf to get M down frist but as a result I delete many photos (all great lessons just not great shots). This forum site is awesome by the way, thanks guys.

Yup, the fear of high ISO is pretty common when your first getting started, but really you don't need to shoot everything at 100-200 for good image quality. Sure, it's nice when you can, but depending on your camera you probably won't even start to notice any noise until you gt above at least 800, and even then on most it doesn't become even slightly noticeable until you get well above that., and usually a bit of noise reduction in post will do wonders for the final image.

I find auto ISO extremely useful - I know I'll always be getting a good exposure that way - and if I'm looking through the viewfinder and I think my ISO is too high I can reduce my shutter speed, or open up the lens a bit by decreasing my Aperture setting - or both. So I still control the ISO by using the other two parameters to get the best results.

Otherwise I'd be having to try and adjust all three for each shot, just wouldn't be very efficient when I can easily and quickly adjust the other two parameters and let the camera set the third accordingly for proper exposure.

When I moved to the D750, I stopped thinking about ISO completely.

BrickHouse said:
When I moved to the D750, I stopped thinking about ISO completely.
Exactly. On many older-tech cameras, ISO was a hugely important and SIGNIFICANTLY limiting factor...this is the thing, with the newer sensors from Sony and Toshiba...the sensors have become basically, ISO-invariant. This was most definitely NOT the case, and is in fact, still not the case with most of the Canon cameras using older sensor tech, or the older, pre-Exmor generation Nikon cameras. With my D2x, AUTO ISO was a recipe for utter disaster in many situations. With the D3x, and all the other, new 14-bit, Sony Exmor generation 1 and II sensors, the ISO capabilities and the dynamic range, and the post-processing adjustment capabilities are hugely, hugely improved.

There are still millions of people who just cannot comprehend life above BASE ISO level. Old, outdated ideas die hard. Very,very hard. What was true with 10 year-old sensor technology is no longer the case.

Most of us are no longer shooting D90's...if you've moved to Nikon full-frame, there's almost no ISO that is unworkable until you get to above 6,400 and ***+ light....

Use whatever you want. I think the pro's use whatever mode that can get the job done the easiest way. Being a pro there is no sense to do it the hard way. But remember in many cases the easiest way is using manual mode.

I use "pro mode". It's the green box. You're technically not allowed to use that until you've become a photography sansei. And besides, my camera takes GREAT photos……or so I've been told.

I shoot in aperture priority a lot. That is just me.

I use "pro mode". It's the green box. You're technically not allowed to use that until you've become a photography sansei. And besides, my camera takes GREAT photos……or so I've been told.
Hey! We must have the same camera! I've been told the same thing.

Anyone who purports to know what 'all pro's' use is absolutely full of crap.
Do what works for your skills and intent.

Last edited:
Interesting, I wouldn't think to keep ISO on auto I have it in my head to always try and keep it as low as I can for IQ, witch is usually 100-200 for me. I shoot outside in the day alot. I even bought a book about my new camera and the author says first thing take off auto ISO. But I will explore the possibilities of auto ISO and see how it goes. I'm also going to try and shoot the same scean in a all mode and compare more than I have been. I feel like I haf to get M down frist but as a result I delete many photos (all great lessons just not great shots). This forum site is awesome by the way, thanks guys.

Just like whether to use M mode, P mode, etc, using auto-ISO really just depends on the situation. For bird photography, I love using auto-ISO, because if I'm shooting a bird against the trees and then it suddenly flies up into the bright blue sky, I'm going to get blown-out results if my ISO was set for the background of the trees.
But for most other things, I turn auto-ISO off.

Personally, I use M most of the time--sometimes with auto-ISO as mentioned above. I rarely ever use Aperture-priority or Shutter-priority although I certainly see the value in doing so. For me, I just find that I'm able to make my adjustments on the fly quickly enough in most shooting situations, and I like being the one who decides whether to knock my aperture down a stop or two, or increase my shutter speed. It's such an automatic thing to me, that most of the time, I don't really even think about it, I just adjust on the fly and keep shooting.

Hey! We must have the same camera! I've been told the same thing.

Cool!!! We should totally shoot pets and train tracks together.

I'm usually just wanting to get the shot so the camera sits in Auto with Auto ISO on. When time or in special circumstances then the camera is often set in M (manual) and if I want shutter priority I JUST DON'T change the speed and if I want aperture priority I JUST DON'T change the aperture.
The ISO is also displayed so if the camera can't get the needle centered then the ISO button is pushed and that single wheel changes the ISO. The wheel changes the shutter normally and if I push one little button the wheel does aperture or another button and it does ISO. Once you get used to it the single wheel is as easy or perhaps even easier than two wheels.

I earn every penny I make with my camera, and I often shoot in Program mode when shooting with a flash.

Granted, I'm not shooting high art, but the flash and Program mode get the job done.

Anyone use a "scene" mode such as Landscape, Sunset, etc.? Some may see it as amateurish, but it often gives a nice starting point from which I can finish in LR.
I often use M, Av, and Tv, but really use whatever works for me at the time.
I certainly respect all, but I think continually trying to do it "like the pros" is a bit silly.

Anyone use a "scene" mode such as Landscape, Sunset, etc.? Some may see it as amateurish, but it often gives a nice starting point from which I can finish in LR.
I often use M, Av, and Tv, but really use whatever works for me at the time.
I certainly respect all, but I think continually trying to do it "like the pros" is a bit silly.
I used to use the SCENE modes a lot until I learned basically what their settings are and the concepts behind it, now I can easily do them in manual. I recommend if you need the Scene modes to use them as they are an excellent tool to use. No sense to restrict yourself.

I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I am most comfortable with the A mode, as in aperture priority.
I have my aperture set to the front dial and the ISO to the rear dial. I control the shutter speed by manipulating ISO and aperture.
What do you do in full manual mode? You make sure that the needle of the camera meter is in the middle. In aperture priority the camera does that for me and I don't waste any time doing it myself. At the same time I can still have an artistic influence on the image through the exposure triangle by setting two parts of it myself.
That is simply the most effective way that I have found for myself :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back