Pros don't use crop bodies

Sparky, that's brilliant.

(edit... in reference to the hazardous tools post, #14)

As for tools, the rule is to use the appropriate tool to get the job done. Some days it's the $0.25 doohickey, and sometimes it's the $25,000 granfarther. Oh, and the knowledge to know when to use which.

Last edited:
And while said soccer mom with her 4K gear is on the sideline, standing up. I have my 7D and 70-200mm f/4 and monopod sitting on the ground on the end line getting the shot of her kid with a lot cleaner background composition.
Maybe. Maybe not. I can't slam the soccer moms, some (some)may be quite good. Just like i wouldn't put all mwacs and dwacs in the same basket. :bouncingsmileys:

I agree SOME are really good. My jab was the "standing" and "sideline" parts. I saw that Sunday when a mom was standing up shooting down on the kids playing from the sideline, where I was, as mentioned sitting on the end line shooting at the same level or a little up on them.

Granted, I didn't see her photos, but we pretty much know what that the composition wasn't the best they could have been.

Ron's onto something. The better the photographer, the better they usually control the background. Regardless of which format camera they are holding.

Ron's onto something. The better the photographer, the better they usually control the background. Regardless of which format camera they are holding.

Truth. Maybe "professional" status should be given by judging background composition. The less distracting a photographers backgrounds, the more "pro" cookies they get.

I mean, there is a reason Richard Avedon is one of the most well known photographers of all time afterall. He knew exactly what to exclude from all of his images. He should get all the cookies. :icon_thumright:

Truth. Maybe "professional" status should be given by judging background composition. The less distracting a photographers backgrounds, the more "pro" cookies they get.

I mean, there is a reason Richard Avedon is one of the most well known photographers of all time afterall. He knew exactly what to exclude from all of his images. He should get all the cookies. :icon_thumright:
If all mwacs and dwacs had a 50mp to crop to their hearts content with a pro editing program most of these issues could be solved. They just need better gear.

elephant in the room. The more you spend in equipment the easier it is. But we won't talk about that...

elephant in the room. The more you spend in equipment the easier it is. But we won't talk about that...

Yes, but not always. Because certain crappy cameras like disposable film cameras have a certain aesthetic that a nice film slr or dslr can't reproduce.

I guess if you spend enough to own every piece of photography gear on the planet, then it would really make it easy to make any style of image you want.

I can't agree with that fully bribrius. It's just like computer programming, "crap in, crap out".

You still have to know how to use it, even when turning it on and putting it in "Pro" mode.

I can't agree with that fully bribrius. It's just like computer programming, "crap in, crap out".

You still have to know how to use it, even when turning it on and putting it in "Pro" mode.

I forgot my camera had Pro mode!! Thanks for reminding me. Now I'm definitely going to be making the big bucks.

we shouldn't discuss this. i wouldn't want anyones earth shattered thinking they are getting better when they really just bought a better lens and camera. Plus all those people shooting crappy shots on crappy cameras we want them to keep believing we really have more talent and is isnt the extra few k invested.

And while said soccer mom with her 4K gear is on the sideline, standing up. I have my 7D and 70-200mm f/4 and monopod sitting on the ground on the end line getting the shot of her kid with a lot cleaner background composition.

Monopod with a 70-200F4 looks very unprofessional, a 300F2.8L should be on the monopod and 70-200 would be hand held

Monopod with a 70-200F4 looks very unprofessional, a 300F2.8L should be on the monopod and 70-200 would be hand held

You are right, but I never said I was a pro. I'm just a hobbyist and that's what I have. All my money goes to keep that boy in soccer and the girl in competitive cheer. And since he is 6 and plying on a small field, I don't need more reach than a 70-200 on a crop camera.

You are right, but I never said I was a pro. I'm just a hobbyist and that's what I have. All my money goes to keep that boy in soccer and the girl in competitive cheer. And since he is 6 and plying on a small field, I don't need more reach than a 70-200 on a crop camera.
Using a 70-200 on a monopod is very restrictive and slow

Most reactions

New Topics

Back