Searching for ways to get people to stop telling me to sell my pictures.....

Then set a price point where it's impossible for people to buy it. So they either will have to accept it for free or pay a ridiculous amount of money to buy it.

My dad once told me that art is like love. It's so wonderful when it's given freely but so ugly when it's for sale. Photography is an art isn't it?
But that's my dad. For me I would ask the same person who tell me to sell my pictures if he/she would want to buy some?

My dad once told me that art is like love. It's so wonderful when it's given freely but so ugly when it's for sale.

So what your saying is the Davinci Code was really just a front for prostitution?

Wow. Ok, learn something new everyday I guess - but I have to admit I didn't see that one coming.. lol

"I'll think about it".

I haven't read the thread or the answers, tbh, so this might have already been suggested.

Light up like a big smiling gas explosion at their suggestion and tell them that it's a great idea!!! Too bad you simply don't have the time, knowledge or experience to deal with all that's involved with it. But since they agree and think they're worth money, you'll make them a deal. They can have half of whatever they sell them for, as your agent.

In other words, tell THEM to sell them and make money as your partner; The photographer and the agent.

Who knows, maybe they'll even get creative, find buyers, and make you both some money, and all you have to do is what you're already doing, nothing more.

Last edited:
My dad once told me that art is like love. It's so wonderful when it's given freely but so ugly when it's for sale. Photography is an art isn't it?
But that's my dad. For me I would ask the same person who tell me to sell my pictures if he/she would want to buy some?

That's a beautiful quote from dad. I support my family doing what I love and I have no shame selling my art. I'd rather be ugly than homeless, oven worse ugly and homeless :D I do other photography projects that are not for sell and just because I love doing it.

I gave this some thought ... "I don't do this for the money." Which will probably open up "But you're so good ... you could make a lot of money ..." and you can respond ... "There are a lot of things I don't do for money and photography is one of them."

Or 'there are a lot of things that I do really, really well but don't do for money; photography is one of them.'

I'm honestly getting frustrated constantly hearing "did they pay you for that?" "You should be selling these!" "You could sell these by doing xyz....." "If you charged for this, you could fund your next camera/lens!"

I became interested in photography as a little girl. After my dad died (I was 8) it was realized that the most recent photo of him was 3 years old, and the most recent family photo was 4 years prior. Thus, my interest was sparked in preserving memories.
I have ZERO interest in making money off my work. I enjoy using photos as a "gift" in whatever situation it suits.

No matter what I say though, people encourage me to start making a profit off of it. I've tried mentioning things like "I'd rather not pay taxes on that" or " it's not as easy as it sounds" or bluntly, "I'm just not interested" but the conversation rarely stops there and people are eager to offer me "solutions" for any reason I give that I am not interested.

So would you please, offer me something witty, or not- to stop the conversation in its tracks. :)
I'll give you 4 choices:

1. Reply to them "I am an artist and I do not SELL my art."

2. Give an evil grin, use your little finger to pick between your teeth and then doing your best Dr. Evil imitation you say "for One Million Dollars.....".

3. Change the subject. When the raise this whole issue, focus on a part of their hair and then say something like "has your hair always been this color?" or "I've never noticed the scar before." Or you can just utter a non sequitur as a way of changing the subject...say something like "have you ever heard of the great white rhino?"

4. Just say "no thanks" and walk away.

I'm honestly getting frustrated constantly hearing "did they pay you for that?" "You should be selling these!" "You could sell these by doing xyz....." "If you charged for this, you could fund your next camera/lens!"
:)
I quite simply point blank say: sure...I'll get you a print for $x

Most reactions

New Topics

Back