Self shots

Spinner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My neice is getting married next month. Could someone tell me step by step how I can take a good photo of myself. My pictures come out horrible. I mean this literally. For the life of me I can not figure out why.
I am a fairly decent looking woman. I don't mean to brag, but this is ridiculous. It would be nice to take a half way decent looking picture just once. These are family shots. Plus others will be shooting our pictures.

I'm talking digital cameras, or any other kind.

So please help. Thanks so much.

Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean by "My pictures come out horrible"? Can you show us an example?

Photography is all about light. Good lighting makes for good portraits, so that's where you should start.

Yeah we might need some more detail. I'm picturing you holding the camera out in front of you and taking a pic of your own smiling face. :sexywink:

If you can paint us a better picture of the set up you're using I'm sure you'll get some useful info.

Aside from lighting the problem can be one of posing. I know an absolutely stunning looking girl who is not the least bit photogenic. The best pictures of her are when someone is there to guide her and tell her don't do this or watch the way you position your shoulders, etc. Or if you can get someone to take a photo of you unexpectedly then you would have one as you appear in real life and not as you appear to the camera.

I am similar. The only good photos of me are when I don't smile or pose.

Either use the flash delay or get someone to take the picture for you.
Plan out the way you want it, and then direct the person taking the picture.

Make sure the composition is decent. No distracting objects in the scene or anything. Just whatever part of you that you want in the picture, and try to keep what's in the background to a minimum.
Try for somewhat of a close up. Not a full body shot as those don't look too good no matter what.
I'm sure you know nothing about lighting, so just try to make sure there's somewhat good lighting. Low light images are often hard to deal with.

Once you have the image, post a link to it in full resolution. Don't do anything to it(don't even resize it), just post it as is.
Once you do that, we'll correct it and repost it. As long as it's not real involved I have no problem doing it. Someone else might want to give it a shot too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back